Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Urban Canyon
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Urban Canyon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjpearce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Urban Canyon Reply with quote

Hi,

I am looking for a portable replacement (I have an XDA) for a Panasonic DV2000 sat. nav. guidance system, but I have a couple of questions.

1) How do the GPS receivers really work

in Urban Canyon conditions (I am used to an inertia/gyro keeping track when signals are weak/non existant)

2) Can TomTom (or any other software package) actually route from any street in town A to any street in town B seemlessly (no switching/loading of maps) on a Pocket Pc platform. TomTom say no, I I have read somewhere on this forum that it can be done.

Thanks

kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Urban Canyon Reply with quote

1) I have used Navman STPro and TomTom Navigator 2 in London. Both occasionally get a bit confused but seem to sort themselves out by the next junction.

2) Both of these products can do this within a single country. STPro can additionally do it across country borders.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

TomTom Navigator will happily navigate from a Street in Town A to a Street in Town B seamlessly as long as they are located on the same country map. TTNav will not do this across country borders as maps have to be switched.

As for signals in difficult areas they are less effective than fitted systems that use Gyros for data when satellite data is lost but as long as you have a good receiver this happens very rarely and the better receivers will re-acquire a signal very quickly.
pjpearce
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the input,

As far as the actual time for calculating a re-route, can anybody give me an idea of how long this would take (XDA, TomTom), I have used a Garmin GPS V and it was pathetic (upto 1 minute as long as I was not moving)

kartracer
Frequent Visitor

Re-route calculation time varies depending upon how far remaining to the destination. With an Ipaq 3870 and STPro or TTN2 I usually find that it has recalculated by the time I reach the next road junction.
pjpearce
Occasional Visitor

On the previous subject of seemless routing, I had send an email to TomTom, and I have just received a reply, see dialog below

======================================================

My email request :-

> I'm not clear about the interaction between RoutePlanner and CityMaps.

>

> Can I specify a House to House journey (say somewhere in Glasgow, to

> somewhere in London), and have seemless routing(auto-rerouting) along the

> entire journey without having to switch/change/load software ?

>

>

TomTom's Reply

Dear Paul,

Thanks for your mail.

I'm afraid that is not possible. You'll need to change applications.

Regards,

TomTom Customer Services

support@tomtom.com

http://www.tomtom.com

======================================================

I'm now very confused !!!

Dave
Frequent Visitor

Paul, I think you're getting confused. TomTom have 4 products available. MapsOnline, Routeplanner, CityMaps and Navigator. If you go for Navigator you can route from Street A in City A to Street B in City B seemlessly. If you wanted to do this between two countries then you would have to change maps.

With RoutePlanner you could route from a Major Road A in City A to Major Road B in City B seemlessly, but CityMaps you would have to change maps as soon as you reached the city border.
pjpearce
Occasional Visitor

I finally purchased TTN2 for my XDA, and I can say it compares very well with a dedicated car setup (Panasonic DVD system), the new cradle kit (supplied as standard by TomTom) works very well for the XDA.

I was very interested in the reacquisition time of the receiver in tall built up areas, and I can say that after losing lock, it takes just over a second to reacquire a position crossing a junction.

Can anyone explain what a flashing satellite count greater than 0 means in TTN2 ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: