Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Holux GPSlim236 Bluetooth GPS Receiver
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Holux GPSlim236 Bluetooth GPS Receiver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Holux GPSlim236 Bluetooth GPS Receiver Reply with quote

I recently purchased one of these and it is one slick and versatile product. The package I bought came with the receiver with built-in antenna, an AC adaptor, a car 12v adaptor, and and extention antenna.

This guy receives nine sats sitting in my living room and is fast and accurate on the road. It is very small, maybe 1 1/2 inch by 1 1/2 inch. I've permanately mounted the extention antenna so reception is pegged in my primary vehicle. It works at 38,400 bps with TomTom, iGuidance, Pocket Streets, Gps Dash, OziExplorer, Topo, and Vito Navigator both BT and serial. They claim it will track twenty sats but so far its only seen ten for me.

I have also purchased the iPaq adaptor that powers the GPSlim236 and the iPaq and feeds the signal via the iPaq docking port. Very nice. I have also purchased the USB adaptor so the GPSSlim can be used with a notebook inputing both the signal and powering itself via the USB port. The Bluetooth works fine with my Toshiba Sat Pro but I haven't tried the USB connection yet.

This is one great GPS receiver. Does BT on handhelds and PCs as well as serial to both. It claims a ten hour battery life so I drop in my pocket along with my iPaq and go hiking. Unfortunately the iPaq will die in about two hours. I need a solar hat.

It does not seem to BT and serial at the same time to a single device. I have yet tried to BT to my notebook while using the serial connection to the iPaq or vice versa.

The GPSSlim236 is one capable and versatile little gizmo. It's nice to buy something that works better than expected.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fully agree its the best purchase I have made in quite some time, its ability to pick up a signal in the most demanding conditions (indoors, no windows etc) is nothing short of remarkable - very impresive device, for walking with the IPAQ consider building an external battery pack, I get around 8 to 10 hours before the internal battery starts to run down - Mike
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Battery Pack Reply with quote

I've got a spare iPaq charging cable. Just how much uumph do I need? I assume (makes an "ass" out of "u" and "me") I need 12v in. Will eight (8) 1.5v batteries do it? What size?

Very interested in your solution if you could provide details.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read of this, the parts list is located about halfway down, the batteries I use are NI-MH type which are 1,2V per cell with eight you only produce 9,6V but this is fine for use with a car charger as that contains a 5V regulator, so long as you are above 5V the IPAQ will charge. - Mike
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=28192
CJackel492
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I was told the Holux 236 had serial and BT, I have been very interested in this receiver,

Have you been able to get both serial and BT to work at the same time?

This is a feature that must work if I'm to switch,

I hate to TomTom GPS Mk II as I find it very problematic,

Does the Holux suffer from picking up a weak signal at switch on? Drifting? Is it ok when switching on at a different location that it was switched off at?

Carl,
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems with the 236 its a great bit of kit,gets a signal within a minute sometimes less,sits in the glovebox or wherever you want and has never failed to receive.not sure as regards your queston regards serial and BT as i only ever use Bt.
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine connects immediately. No lag at all.

It will BT and serial to two apps simultaneously. I didn't think it did but it does.

That said it's probably easier to use GPSGate if you want to share the device.
CJackel492
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schneid wrote:
That said it's probably easier to use GPSGate if you want to share the device.

If I was using a pocket PC,

GPSGate Doesn't work on Symbian,

The original idea I had was to use the GPS in the car for tracking (Using the serial) and still have the BT available for navigation,

Carl,
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will do that.

I'll get around to seeing if my notebook can use one signal while my iPaq uses the other.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: