Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonCatlin wrote:

I also think that Mike B (and the PGW team) should now come clean with all the questions that have been asked.

1. Why charge now? (Really, why charge now - just a Xmas kicks in!)
2. How are the cameras to be checked?
3. Cost model - how was the "£2 a go" value derived?
4. How do the PGW team expect to keep the database accurate when so many people have decided not to carry on adding to the database?
5. While Mike B maybe perfectly suited for the job - it seems a bit of closed shop. Why are you not advertising this job as well - there maybe a better candidate?

Ok - all my question shave been answered except number no 3 and 5.

Can I get an answer to these please?
soweezy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

henth wrote:
It will be a sad day should this excellent site fold due to lack of interest and members

won't happen, there are too many members for it to close regardless how many appose the charge for the camera database
the only thing that's likely to happen is the uptake of new members will diminish if the membership charge is too high
I'd hate to be in their shoes...

Garmin Zumo 390LM
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emjaiuk wrote:
Just to reiterate my previous post.

The PGPSW site isn't only about the Database. I still think it would be more acceptable for the bulk of the site to be subsciption rather than just the Database. I personally prefer a site supported entirely by subscriptions and not have the perceived influence of 'sponsors'.

Malcolm

Yes, I agree - this is a much better way to work - for the money, you are getting much more than a database - also a whole community of knowledge.

You could still have a free community - but extras would be in the npaid section.

Alan
RangerRanger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: First Time Posters Reply with quote

I have been a member/supporter of this site for around two years now, the forum side doesn't really interest me, or at least it didn't until you started this nonsense of wanting to charge for information supplied by your members/supporters, as I had only posted once before when i went to post i found i could not remember my pass word so had to create this user name to send this post and my previous post, the fact that myself or any other person has not posted before does not give you the right to devalue our support in trying to justify you decision to make extra money from the database whether or not i have posted before, whether or not i have sent in cam updates, whether or not if i have made any donation, i am still a supporter of this site and still entitled to my views and the very fact that you try to devalue my comments because i have not posted before is indicative of the total lack of understanding you process about what is going on here, it's not really about money it's about trust and greed, because of you actions we now don't trust you and you have shown that you are driven by greed.

You have now lost my support and i have removed your links from both the web sites i run, i have also removed your rss feeds from both sites, and from the rss program on my PC, your site is now DEAD.
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

34 pages, must have hit a nerve withe the users of the speed camera database then, never seens a thread so long.
biker1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Retail license Reply with quote

As asked in another topic...Will retailers be able to include the database with goods they sell???

We won it 5 times, We won it 5 times.
In Istanbul, We won it 5 times.

Football Capital of the World.
biker1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: PS Reply with quote

If so, how much will you make from them??? :x

NickT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What has been said about so called "newbies" is absolute rubbish.

I myself use this site for help and new ideas to implement onto the Tom Tom unit I dont really post but I do "view".

You cannot take the stand point of only listening to the old seasoned pros here you have to listen to the community as a whole!!

So the big question is:-

ARE YOU LISTENING?

And if you are then I think you know where the community stands on this issue!!
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the speed camera download page.
Scroll down to the FAQ's
See how the database is described by PGPSW, everything is "ours" "ours" "ours". Doesn't sound very community minded to me.
There is also a line saying how the database can never be charged for in any way. Obviously doesn't apply in this case.
It seems a classic case of "whats ours is ours, what's yours we take.
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

However we have a pretty accurate database already, certainly as accurate if not more so than the hardware based GPS SCD's.

EXACTLY You have a pretty accurate db already. Why the need to charge to make it accurate???? Why the need for physical checks??? Why change it if it ain't broke??? The smell of the rat I mentioned in my earlier post is getting stronger.

Sorry guys - this is a great site and you all do a superb job but why not leave things as they are. I hope that you didn't decide that the sale of Friends Reunited has prompted you to line your pockets in a few years.
BigR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems sad that such an excellent forum should be split like this and i hope that the new changes do not start the beggining of the end for this site.
Too many times i have seen sites companies which are doing great decide they need to expand make changes to survive or impliment a charge to justify a better quality of service then go down the pan.

I hope this does not happen here, i hope that the guys in charge listen to what the members are saying and take into account that if this site can provide a service then so can others.

If anyone decides to put the data base that you have already collected of the cameras onto their own site and invite people to download it for free and to add input of new camera's,before you know it they could be as successful as this site.

Like my old nan used to say, why change a winning formula"

Good luck either.
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Retail license Reply with quote

biker1 wrote:
As asked in another topic...Will retailers be able to include the database with goods they sell???

This is already happening as I understand that Maplin are using this database pre-installed on their i3 units presumably with an agreement from this site.
biker1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Charging Reply with quote

Yes, exactly Twisted Evil .

RangerRanger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Sale of this site Reply with quote

Seems you are setting yourselfs up for the "Friends Reunited" route, making a killing and lining your pockets off other people's backs, there is more to this than meets the eye, why else do this the way you have?

Maybe TomTom or some other GPS company has already shown an interest? come on spill the beans, there is something else going on here!
Pootle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes This announcement has created a lot of bad feeling. £2 month, £24 a year is not a lot of money, it's not about the money. A community sharing information then a few who have compiled that information now decide to charge for it? I will most likely pay for a download every 2 or 3 months if it comes to that. A community shares, knowledge and information come to think of it speed camera databases. A number of colleagues of mine bought garmin i3's and I happily updated their units with the camera database when they asked. PGPSW are entitled to do what they wish but the community is more powerful SHARE the file.....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 32 of 60

Jump to: