Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - An owner who wants to but Sat Nav for his drivers
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

An owner who wants to but Sat Nav for his drivers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strongbow392001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: An owner who wants to but Sat Nav for his drivers Reply with quote

Please help,

I have read your comments about owners and sat nav systems, however I do want to buy these for my car transport drivers. Obviously bridge height and weight limits are a must have.

I have looked at the tom tom one (don't laugh but the price is very good) and have also been told that the Garmin Street Pilot 2720 has this functionality weights and bridge heights included. It is over twice the price but is it that much better?

Help and advice would be much appreciated.
EasyD2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Strongbow,

Welcome to the forum.

In my own opinion I have found that PDA-based navigation systems with TomTom navigation software gives you a bit more flexibility, particularly with regards to installing POI (Points of Interest).

With such a setup you can easily install Low Bridges POI etc. which are usually found on forums such as this one.

Also with a PDA based setup, using, for example an XDA, QTek or imate that is also a phone you have easier access to other services such as live traffic.

Tel: 0871 7000 156
Globalsat UK Distributor
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi strongbow as easyD2 says a pocket pc might be the way to go if you can get a deal off the phone company aslo it depends what type fleet software your running ie roadrunner if you use roadrunner then it could be an idea to contact them and see if a fleet sotware package is for you as you could send drivers details over sms or gprs

now for the nav software yes the one should be ok but and its a big BUT as yet no software will route you away from a bridge it only warn you that its there
installing the poi on the ttone is the same as on the pocketpc

if you wanted to track ech truck as well as send route info and messaging then have a look at copilot 6 as it to will easily accept the low brige poi and warn you when near
one company I could recommend talking to holux you can contact them at www.holux.co.uk hope this helps a litlle

but the important thing is to train the drivers to use the equipment properly as its no good getting it then just sticking it in the cab and expecting them to know how to use it

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: