Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 5 very slow to lock on signal with Globalsat BC337
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 5 very slow to lock on signal with Globalsat BC337

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeeInLondon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: TomTom 5 very slow to lock on signal with Globalsat BC337 Reply with quote

I'm using a Toshiba E740 with a Globalsat BC337 Compact Flash GPS and version 5.0 of TomTom.

I find if I start TomTom it take a very long time to lock on to a signal, but once locked on it holds it pretty well. But that inital lock may take over 10 minutes.

But if I close down TomTom and run any other kind of program on my PDA that allows me to read data fromthe GPS I get a lock within seconds. I can then shut that down and restart TomTom and usually secure the lock very quickly then.

What's going on?

Is TomTom trying to start the GPS in WAAS mode?

I'm in NW London, England and only driving locally.

How can I adjust my PDA / GPS for the best possible signal / speed, etc in that part of the world, without adding an external antenna. I find once I have the lock in my car it stays, it's just getting that inital lock that takes so long with TomTom 5.0 - I have SirfDemo utility and PCMCIA adaptor for my Laptop, but need pointing to a details guide to using SirfDemo or a better more user friendly utility
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom is known to be impatient when it can't get a fix quickly. It then attempts a cold boot which only makes things worse.

Allow your receiver to get a fix BEFORE you start TTN.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DeeInLondon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
TomTom is known to be impatient when it can't get a fix quickly. It then attempts a cold boot which only makes things worse.

Allow your receiver to get a fix BEFORE you start TTN.

How long has this problem been known about? Is it new to the Sirf III chipset? Does anyone know if TomTom have issued a fix for it?

If the TomTom software can't even get a fix then the rest of the program is a waste of time. Now I know about the problem sure I can use a different program to get that all important fix but then have to exit, go back into TomTom 5 and then set off ... which really I shouldn't have to do in the first place.

Is this occuring because TomTom are trying to make the software too easy to use? I'm sure there are some tweaks like having WAAS on or off that would work better in different situations but I can't see any way of activating or deactivating it in TomTom 5.0.

It would also be nice if GPS manufactuers perhaps used multicolour LED's so we could tell what the unit was up to instead of just steady light for aquiring a lock and flashing for letting you know there is a lock.

I'm really dissapointed by this flaw in TomTom Sad
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I remember this was introduced with TTN5.100 . It is not limited to SiRF III chipsets. Quitre contrary, those tend to recover quicker. The ones suffering the most are older chipsets that already without TomTom's "help"have long TTFFs.

Mind you, other programs play no role whatsoever in this - all you need is to give the HARDWARE (the receiver) enough time for a fix. Any magical "solution" to "start this program first then start TomTom" are pure speculation and without any scientific merit.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
skc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i had the same problem, i tried it on a friends pda with destinator PN and it finds a fix in seconds even indoors.
HammerTime69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Globalsat BC337 Reply with quote

Sad Sad Sad
Hi

I am having the same sort of problems. I have a Dell x51v (latest A06 Rom upgrade) running Windows Mobile 2005 and trying to use Tom Tom 5 Navigator (latest v5.21) on it. Even though Tom Tom recognizes the fact that I have the BC337 installed in the Comm 4 port (CF) it just states all the time that there is "no GPS device" and does not appear to even try and connect to the satellites. I have been told that I am correct in selecting "other NMEA GPS". Is this right ? I have left it for over an hour to lock on and still nothing. I have tested the BC337 with the GPS info program that came with it and this shows it works as it locks on to a signal withing a minute or two. However even getting a lock via this program and then subsequently opening Tom Tom I still get the same response from Tom Tom. In Windows Mobile 2005 there are 3 things to set within the GPS option under "settings". Under the "Hardware" tab I have select the hardware port as Comm 4 for the GPS device. Under the "software" tab What do I set as the software comm port or do I chose "none" if I have the Tom Tom program installed on the PDA and the maps etc. on an SD Card? Dell's manual is very unhelpful, as is their technical support (no response so far !) in telling what comm port numbers are used and which is which on the PDA apart from Comm 4 of course. The last setting under "Access" tab is ticked already to "manage GPS automatically (recommended)". Is this correct ?
I have been getting conflicting information. So far I have heard that it's the fault of the Globalsat not being compatible with WM2005 then I hear it's the fault of Tom Tom not being compatible with WM2005. Some say it might even be the Dell itself. Can anybody clarify the situation for me based upon this hardware and software combination and hopefully pinpoint who is at fault here. If it's the Tom Tom would the rest work if I changed to Destinator or other GPS software (P.S. What is the recoomended best ?)

P.S. I also seem to get a lot of lock-ups using this PDA which I assume is down to WM2005. Can anybody help?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Sad
Maverickuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Globalsat BC337 Reply with quote

HammerTime69 wrote:

I have been getting conflicting information. So far I have heard that it's the fault of the Globalsat not being compatible with WM2005 then I hear it's the fault of Tom Tom not being compatible with WM2005. Some say it might even be the Dell itself. Can anybody clarify the situation for me based upon this hardware and software combination and hopefully pinpoint who is at fault here. If it's the Tom Tom would the rest work if I changed to Destinator or other GPS software (P.S. What is the recoomended best ?)
Sad

See here

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=33339

for detailed info a semi workaround, not ideal but this requires a fix from Dell , MS and or TT

Regards

Mav

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: