Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN2 problems when walking
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN2 problems when walking
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TTN2 problems when walking Reply with quote

[Caution - off topic]

I just want to suggest to Dave that he thinks about annexing the 'driving' smiley in aero's post (which appears to be from www.britishcarforum.com looking at the source of this page).

David
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TTN2 problems when walking Reply with quote

Mmmm. The days of the Commodore Pet & Vic 20, the Amstrad CPC-464 (gah) and the Spectrum 48k. When you knew what program was loading by the sound on the tape, something told you were going to be resigned to this geekiness forever

That's settled then, turn your Emtac into a yo-yo. That'll be enough to register in the software...
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Ah...... those were the days. The old ZX81, ZX Spectrum 48k, ZX Spectrum +, Commodore Pet and Commodore 64. I used to love those CPU's!
aero
Regular Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Lost Cause on 03 September 2003

But I'm not a programmer - not anyway since the days at school when I wrote some myself some games in BASIC for the Commodore Pet (8k model).

I learnt everything I know about computers on my ZX Spectrum 16K (later to be upgraded to 48K and a DK Tronics keyboard ). Always wanted a Commodore 64, but never got one
Lost Cause
Occasional Visitor

Now that's the answer ! I shall attach the Emtac to the side of a long yoyo. Then I won't have to do anymore running. It was staring me in the face all along ! And it's not like I've got any dignity left to lose...

I've double-checked my driver settings Aero and they're all OK.

I'm obviously hoping this might cause some re-programming at TT. I understand they need a buffer of some kind, but perhaps - in simple terms - it could compare positions every ten seconds say, and move the pointer if your new position is a long way away. Didn't explain that very well, but I'm sure you know what I mean. But I'm not a programmer - not anyway since the days at school when I wrote some myself some games in BASIC for the Commodore Pet (8k model).
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

Guessing you're right. To solve the sometimes erratic nature of a GPS signal Tom has written himself an algorithm that rounds the signal down and decides you're not moving. Unfortunately, it looks like it's a point to point comparison (point a to point b, point b to point c, etc.), so you could be at point bbaz (quite a lot, I guess) before it recognises any significant jump that it's going to process.

Now if it could just calculate it's rounding relative to the last monitored speed, or occasionally look at the map it's drawn and confirm that, although you've had 350 insignificant movements the sum of all these equates from front door to pub then you might be in business.

To be honest, although I've always said that the two Toms have written a product that also copes with walking, I've never actually tried it. That said, I'm not far from you Lost Cause (by the looks of it), so you may well see me walking around with a whole manner of paraphanalia above my head. I'll not be running though.

Top post Lost - I read it all and sympathised about how involved we all get. Well done.

What you could always do to solve this is to continuously chuck your Emtac about 10ft in front of you where you plan to walk (just short enough to stay in range though). That should register...
se15paul
Occasional Visitor

I moved TTN ,voice and gps to main memory.Installed 2.08 and drove through London & it worked perfectly.

The bluetooth connection works differently .Previously I had to connect to the Crux BT in Bluetooth manager then start TTN.Now I start TTN,it brings up a list of my paired devices ,I tap on The icon for the crux and I'm connected,that didnt work before.

The big test is tommorrow,a drive from sw18 to cb6.
se15paul
Occasional Visitor

Hi

I'm having a similar problem.

H2210 + Crux II Gps + TTN 2.24.

When it works its brilliant but it falls down when I approach a junction which requires a turn and I am stopped for any length of time at the junction.Then it reports my position when stopped but shows a previous speed.

I have to exit tomtom (but its not frozen)and start it up again then its fine till the next junction which requires a turn and I stop.

I had a good run with it saturday,llanelli to london,flawless all the way down the M4 ,stops for accidents and all.It was even OK with tunnels once in London - it would beep when it lost my position and beep on the other side when reaquired - brilliant.Stopping was ok but if I stopped and had to turn !

I had tomtom on my sd card and I'm going to try moving it to main memory.
aero
Regular Visitor

Just a thought Lost Cause, are you using the correct GPS driver settings? i.e. Emtac BT GPS receiver uses 'Emtac Wireless GPS' on 'Bluetooth Serial Port COM8' (on my system at least).

Worth a check.
Lost Cause
Occasional Visitor

I did the 'square' test (!) during lunchtime in Huntingdon - around the area of the Quad service building - a place which might be recognisable only to those who are as into hi-fi as much as they are to GPS... Thankfully, there aren't as many cameras around there as my old home, close to Pebble Mill in Brum.

Aero not having problems perhaps doesn't entirely surprise me, as I'm sure it would have been noticed earlier if the well-liked 3970 had had problems. Hmmm..........

Very, very cool smileys BTW. Shall be pinching those for other purposes.

Wandering around St Ives, Cambs today, to my dismay it worked fine for the first two streets, but then - just as I was getting worried for my sanity - it got stuck again. Thank heavens for that ! A quick jog updated my position at each turn.

Now don't get me wrong. I love my TTN2 to bits, but to borrow a phrase from Forrest Gump, from now on if I'm going anywhere then

"I WILL BE RUNNNNNNNING !"
aero
Regular Visitor

[still off topic]

or this one
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I believe I will, I had to chuckle to myself when I saw the smiley. Very on topic for the forum I think!
Lost Cause
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

I wonder if anyone else if suffering similar problems to this ???

I am using a 2210/Emtac running TTN2 2.24/2.06. Generally speaking, when I'm driving, the system works absolutely fine - very few problems at all. But when I'm walking it doesn't want to work at all.

At the start of the journey everything looks normal. After the route is calculated, my current position is shown on screen, together with information giving distance to next turn, time to destination, everything as per normal.

But, once I start walking TTN2 does not update my position. Sometimes it does (very rarely), but even so it will then always cease updating my position the first time I reach a road junction i.e. cross a crossroad, turn left at a T-junction etc. At this point it will not update to my new position on this new road - no matter how far down that road I've walked - sometimes half a mile ! The system doesn't appear to crash - I can still swap screens etc, it just doesn't think that I'm moving anymore.

I've given it three sessions over the last two weeks, in three entirely different locations – once separated by 100 miles. But, no, through all three sessions it just won't have it when I'm at walking pace - TTN2 fails to notice I'm moving at all.

Sometimes, maybe one time in five, if I've walked 300 yards down the road but my position hasn't been updated, then re-calculating the route will update my position on the map. But only sometimes. Otherwise, it recalculates from my old position.

I think this might be some kind of bug in TTN2 (won't update at walking pace - fine at driving speeds) because if I go to GPS status, then the TTN2 GPS driver shows that GPS info is being transmitted OK to the IPAQ. i.e. when I'm walking the GPS 'driver' screen shows my position is changing, speed, and my course changing e.g. if I turn right. This screen regularly updates every second - it's working just fine. But, when I revert back to the Map or Navigator screen, then I'm shown as being at the beginning of my journey again.

Similarly, in identical conditions Cruxview works fine. And again, in identical conditions, at the same location, Pin Distance works fine. TTN2 GPS screen works fine, but as soon as I switch back to Map or Navigator, then TTN2 stubbornly refuses to update my position on the road - no matter how far down it I've walked - even though I have a 8 satellite fix, in an open area. As I say, Pin Distance, Cruxview etc works fine in identical conditions.

Is anyone else experiencing this ? Given my trial and error experiments, then I'm guessing that since GPS info seems to be reaching the 2210 intact, and given self same thing works fine when I'm driving, then could there be some kind of weird thing going on such that TTN2 doesn't update your position if your position is not changing that quickly ?

Dave
Frequent Visitor

Lost Cause, let us know next time you're out and about walking and where you are and we'll get a camera crew out with you . Could become the first GPS sponsored walk!

I see where you're coming from, I've done this on earlier versions of TomTom Navigator 1.x on a 3850 and haven't seen any issues, in-fact walking was pretty accurate. I know TomTom have continously updated the GPS drivers and there used to be a lot of jumping around on screen when stationary at traffic lights, sometimes it used to be like you had a compass in your hands, and you ran a magnet around it (all over the place), but this very rarely happens to me now, so I suspect TomTom have put some measures in to stop this happening, but at the same time made it unusable for walking.

I'll have to give this a try sometime on my 2210 and see if I get the same problems. Previous tests I have done were with the Navman 3000 sleeve and Pretec Compact Flash.
aero
Regular Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Lost Cause on 29 August 2003

Thanks for the comments, and will be interested to hear how you get on Aero. Dare say you have no 'moving too slow' problems in your car either (!)

Well, I have tried the 'walking test' (in broad daylight!) and it seems to work fine on my system. The speed is recorded in TTN2 (1-2mph in my test) as well as updating the map appropriately.

HTH, aero.

ps 'moving to slow' in my car is rarely a problem

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: