Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Downloadable maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Downloadable maps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jguiver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:

Perhaps thats why when you buy a map from the website you can download it for 12 months? I assume that means you can download *updates* for 12 months, not just the same map again and again.

My download says it's v632, so I guess all I can do is visit my download page every now and then to see if there's a later one.
MartinBrown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets say for arguments sake you can download updated maps for a whole year, if they only release 1 update in that year it wouldn't make any difference to how many updates you get included.

That said I received an e-mail from Tomtom support about the maps:

Dear TomTom customer,

We’re sorry to inform you that your downloadable map of UK and/or Benelux are missing the postal code information. We are currently creating new versions of these map files which will be made available soon for you to download from your map download page.

If you have already installed your map then please note that the same postal code information is also available as a separate download:

So, in affect, you will get at least one updated map and the postcodes will now be included in the map itself....cool.

Plurality should not be posited without necessity
daern
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffy Beagle wrote:
Quote:
Would someone with the new maps have a quick look to see if the Bingley Bypass is on it.

I've looked on TomTom ONE and it looks as if your road is there. The map shows a dual carriageway running roughly southwards from an intersection with Keighley Rd as far as a filling station (Rankin), then as single carriageway past the station and a round a bend to the east, becoming dual carriageway again before it crosses Ferncliffe Rd. Is this correct?

Hugh

Hard to say. If you look on gmaps here: http://tinyurl.com/bqd2y you'll see that the road takes a sharp left at the rbout at the top left on the screen. That's where the bypass starts (gmaps doesn't show it) and it runs south-east, through the center of town (following the railway) for a few miles until it re-joins Bradford road near Cottingley New Road. The bypass should be dual-carriage way for the whole of this length.
MartinBrown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look. The roundabout at the bottom of Airevalley Road has a third exit on version 6.32 of the maps, whereas the google map only has 2 exits.

The third exit runs roughly parallel with the railway line, then bends up towards the river further down then crosses the railway line. It's named the A650....

Is that the one?

daern
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinBrown wrote:
Just had a look. The roundabout at the bottom of Airevalley Road has a third exit on version 6.32 of the maps, whereas the google map only has 2 exits.

The third exit runs roughly parallel with the railway line, then bends up towards the river further down then crosses the railway line. It's named the A650....

Is that the one?

Him's the fellow. Thanks for your efforts - it looks like the new update will be worthwhile after all.
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried contacting tele atlas directly for questions with the map update? Yes TomTom needs to make it available, but I think going to the map maker would be helpful.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmonkey wrote:
Has anyone tried contacting tele atlas directly for questions with the map update? Yes TomTom needs to make it available, but I think going to the map maker would be helpful.

TA won't know (or care) what version of their data tomtom are issuing only tomtom will know what specific build date they are using - they could issue this date very easily - I can't work out why they wouldn't publish it.
Tricky2005
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any insider information as to wether we can buy an upgrade to our existing TT5 maps. I noticed an earlier post that mentioned this, but was suprised to find no one else had made a mention of it. If it's true that some of the newer roads are now included then it will be a worthwile upgrade, especially if it contains the major roads of europe.
I just don't think I should have to pay through the nose for something I thought we where getting when I paid £200 for the full retail product.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's what this thread is about - downloadable maps as an update to ttn5 .

available from the plus serservices at tomtom.com

new GB map is 40 quid
Tricky2005
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was referring to a quote Zeena had posted

"Note that this downloads is ment as an AddOn product, - not for upgrade.

The roumer tells that upgrade for less money for your region-map will be released later."

(Copied and pasted, including spelling mistakes Smile )
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for that

I don't see how they will differentiate - the downloadable maps require you to have purchased navigator or a go unit anyway - so effectively are upgrades.

I guess for those of us with the full Euroset all ready they could offer a reduced price pack of all european / US maps.

Not sure that they will - it would be so useful to know the build date of these - they are definately later than the ttn 5 shipped ones but whether they are worth spending money on?????
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The downloadable maps also require you to already have a map so I think that's pretty much it.
MartinBrown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the interesting thing is, Tomtom used to have a section in Plus named "Map Updates". This disappeared around the same time the map downloads became available....coincidence?

As to whether it is worth the money, it depends on if this is a subscription to a year of updates and how often new maps are released.

SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having only just received my V5 upgrade (two weeks ago) which clearly is out of date, I feel that TT should provide the updated map date for free. I've post a question to TT support suggesting that purchases in the last 30 days should be entitled to a free download.

I await their response
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
Having only just received my V5 upgrade (two weeks ago) which clearly is out of date, I feel that TT should provide the updated map date for free. I've post a question to TT support suggesting that purchases in the last 30 days should be entitled to a free download.

I await their response

People get so obsessed about "updated maps". You do realise that the new map will be "out of date" too?!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: