Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ahhh, that's much better....After the updates.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ahhh, that's much better....After the updates.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RicoBunyon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeProcter wrote:
That's cheap, for those of us Palm users, the only supported Palm by Tom Tom originally was the T3, that set me back £300

Not so bad nowadays. I bought the Palm T5 and TT5 for £380. £20 or so for a windscreen mount and in-car charger, and I was set. I used the PDA a fair bit also, so it's not bad value. But at the forefront of technology, it's going to cost.

Remember when DVD players were still £500?
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RicoBunyon wrote:
But at the forefront of technology, it's going to cost.

Like when I bought my Treo 650 - one of the first in the UK - Palm via Expansys are giving them away for free now. (with a £35 contract for 12 months)
Peter Kessler
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Ahhh, that's much better....After the updates. Reply with quote

MartinBrown wrote:
Using the new maps (v6.32) and the 5.21 patch, TTN5 is now almost running as it should have been running originally.

For example, A61 West Way in Barnsley. The roundabout was removed a little while ago, but the version 5.71 maps were showing the roundabout still existed. In the 6.32 maps, it's now gone :-)

The maps are definately newer, I'm not sure how new, but most of the errors in the older maps that I were aware of have definately been corrected. I say most as some of the previous errors I've not yet had a chance to check.

I've noticed the direction signs have been updated too (I think). For example when heading towards the motorway, instead of showing just a roundabout and the approximate exit for the slip road, it shows the roundabout and the exit as before but with a small arrow pointing towards a motorway sign....pretty cool. Not noticed it before but I could be wrong.

With 5.21 it certainly seems smoother and faster loading and the GPS driver appears more stable with better fixes.

Okay, it's still not perfect, but it's 100% better.

Martin, could I ask a favour? Would you mind checking on your map to see if Leaside Avenue in London now exists? Many thanks
MartinBrown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I just have the city as London and search for Leaside, I get Leaside road. What's the Postcode?

btw, I received an e-mail from Tomtom yesterday saying the postcode file has been updated also (makes sense) but in the next update, which I will be able to download, the postcodes will be part of the map itself....at least that's what they said.

Dear TomTom customer,

We’re sorry to inform you that your downloadable map of UK and/or Benelux are missing the postal code information. We are currently creating new versions of these map files which will be made available soon for you to download from your map download page.

If you have already installed your map then please note that the same postal code information is also available as a separate download:

When and will the maps be even more up to date?

Plurality should not be posited without necessity
Peter Kessler
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, thanks. Leaside Ave is in N10, not the one you located.

What this means is that the map you have downloaded may be more up to date than the one released with v5, but it is not the most up to date available from TeleAtlas. As you may know from other posts, I have reported over 50 mis-named roads in a small area of London to TeleAtlas, and they confirmed to me that all those errors have now been corrected in their data, which is licensed by Tomtom.

Tomtom have therefore apparently chosen to release and charge customers for an intermediate map upgrade while knowing that a more recent one is actually available. Presumably they'll release that in the future and charge for it again. In my opinion their behaviour is outrageous, and I wish there was a government GPS watchdog!
MartinBrown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Kessler wrote:
I have reported over 50 mis-named roads in a small area of London

Ah, you see it's a conspiracy whatsit, if you can't navigate round London by car then you are forced to use the tube or bus Twisted Evil

Seriously tho, I wonder how many of those 50+ they have updated and how many they've not done yet. If none of them were resolved, then that is bad, however if they have done most of them, it's a start and they may be resolved fully in the next release, whenever that will be.

Plurality should not be posited without necessity
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinBrown wrote:
Seriously tho, I wonder how many of those 50+ they have updated and how many they've not done yet. If none of them were resolved, then that is bad, however if they have done most of them, it's a start and they may be resolved fully in the next release, whenever that will be.

At the Basingstoke meet, I spoke to Teleatlas for a while & discussed thing like updates. When I reported to them some quirks in and around my area - the South East, most of the 'errors' they already knew about. I think that Teleatlas are doing a great job at keeping things up to date, it is just Tom Tom who are quite slow in incorporating the changes and converting the data that they buy from teleatlas into what we see when we are out on the road. (and how often they buy in updates from Teleatlas).
The Vans that Teleatlas are using are very impressive and they record 360 degree views wherever they drive, storing all the info, road names signs, junctions etc. all with the relevant GPS position. They are currently working in the UK for the next few weeks, working their way up to scotland & I guess back again!
The info is then sent to india to code (keep costs down) and from there I guess Tom Tom et al buy the code & make it fit their software.

So, it seems that most of our mapping issues are from Tom Tom's end and not the mapping company, Teleatlas.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: