Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mapsonic v4?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapsonic v4?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If version 4 maps are not backwards compatible with previous software versions, then from now on you stick with exactly what you've got with no possibility of bug fixes or updates, or you make the jump to version 4.

While that's a jump in the dark, I won't be paying for it. Version 4 is going to have to be damn good to stop me from saying "Enough is enough" and moving to TomTom.
gpsdeano
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought this may be of use. I wrote to VM and said:

Quote:
On 20/04/2005 I upgraded my software from 1.3? to v3 at a cost of 85 euros. This software has had several issues that you have failed to resolve, primarily the issue of time at destination.

Now some 7 months later you release a new version and expect me to pay a further 99 euros (after my 50 euro discount) to upgrade if i want this feature to be resolved.

Whilst I except that there are some new features and new maps I am disappointed that I have to pay so much. I expect to pay something to get the new features, but as the previous product you sold me failed to work correctly i believe you should offer a greater discount.

I would be grateful to receive your comments.

The response as expected:

Quote:
We would like to thank you very much for your feedback and your interest in our digital products.

However, we regret to inform you that it is not possible to get another discount than the €50 off ViaMichelin Navigation V4.

Indeed, the version 4 contains not only updated maps and
updated route calculation, but also new features such as:
-Search by postcodes all over Europe
-Previous entries management(10 last destinations)
-Portrait/Landscape Display mode selector
-Speed Limit Warner
-Change map language (eg. Excellent support in multilingual areas such as Brussels)
-Bypass function: avoid a road
-Besides, the memory management has been seriously improved.

We are at your disposal should you have any other suggestions or questions.

Yours faithfully,

- Customer Relations Department -

Question is will any of these new functions work?
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice that they don't address your main point at all.

I think you received standard brush-off response number 37a.
dumpling
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: ViaMichelin Navigator 4.0 Doesn't Work Reply with quote

Working on the basis there's no point in not having the latest maps etc. I bit the bullet and upgraded from 3.2 to 4.0 at a cost of 149 euros, having paid 199 euros in April. However, 4.0 will not install properly - when trying to open Quickinstall I get the message from within ViaMichelin MapStore 4.0 "Installation error An error occurred during installation. Please restart installation.". No amount of re-installation will get Quickinstall to work. I have written to ViaMichelin asking for advice. My 3.2 was working perfectly well.
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I missed some other posting on this board, but I think this is the first report on real experiences with version 4.

Dumpling, would it be a good idea to start a new thread with a title like "Report on Version 4" or something like that ?
manoman48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: simply put? Reply with quote

If ViaMichelin fixed the bugs from v3 and so demonstrated a reasonable level of customer service, I would be more inclined to buy the new version.

However, at the moment it is a case of 'better the devil you know'. I have adjusted all my units to kilometres and now the destination time is correct and the only irritation is the pronounciation of metres (meeeterrs) during Navigation. Oh and it was nice to see my speed in mph on the Navigation screen.

I have a Tungsten E (as do most users by the sound of it) and other than this 'time at destination' bug I have been reasonably happy with it but simply put....

BUG FIXES SHOULD BE FREE

How am I/we supposed to have the confidence in spending 99€ for a reportedly improved product and newer maps when the same company won't even fix a simple problem with its existing software? You can't convince me its difficult to solve.

Hands up who would pay for v4 if the bugs in the current version were fixed for free. I would.

New maps would be useful but who knows what bugs exist now they have added features. And more to the point who knows if they would fix them or just bring out a v5 next year with some newer 'features' and the by then much-awaited bug fixes? We could all be on this board in 12 months time singing the praises of v3 because some new bug in v4 hasn't been fixed.

For the record I have had a similar 'brush off' email, possibly v37c which basically says the bug is fixed in the new version, so buy that.

Erm.... no. Not til they prove they value customers and can prioritise bug fixes rather than just improving sound files and other such tinkering.

I appreciate VM are trying to compete with TomTom. Adding GPS to my Tungsten E has single-handedly breathed new life into an otherwise previously little-used PDA. I am actually more organised now because I use it more due to having VM on it believe it or not.

I also appreciate they are the underdog in this game, which as a Brit means I root for them, even if they are French.

So come on VM! Pull a blinder by fixing these bugs for free in v3 and watch everyone suddenly take advantage of your otherwise reasonable offer and buy v4 due to their newfound confidence in your customer service! Get your marketing and commerical heads on and realise your customer base is going to increase by recommendation only. Don't be a faceless company like TomTom, be a reliable underdog with loyal users and customers who report bugs because they want your product to evolve and grow.

Just my two-pennies worth, sorry for overuse of 'quotes'
theonlyone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've captured the issue well Manoman. The map updates are far less important than fixing the bugs. I am not at all inclined to buy V4 at any price. The lame promotion for V4 and its weak set of new features gives me no confidence that the faults in V3.2 will not be present. They have all been well documented here, and I would add another couple to these (my apologies if they have already been covered). They are these:

The tendency for V3 to pull you off motorway junctions, only to return you to the motorway in the same direction. Perhaps this happens on a curved section where the software senses a 'short cut'. Similarly, I have been pulled off a-type roads through a town where to continue on the 'by-pass' is the smart and normal route to take. Both of these actions are time consuming and frustrating and should not require a complex algorithm to solve.

Attention to these functionalities should be VM's priority, and they should not be promoting new major versions (hah!) until they have been fixed. We should not be left guessing. My money will be staying in my pocket.
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theonlyone wrote:
The tendency for V3 to pull you off motorway junctions, only to return you to the motorway in the same direction. Perhaps this happens on a curved section where the software senses a 'short cut'. Similarly, I have been pulled off a-type roads through a town where to continue on the 'by-pass' is the smart and normal route to take. Both of these actions are time consuming and frustrating and should not require a complex algorithm to solve.

That sounds like you have not put sufficient differences in average speed for the different kinds of road. I have not been pulled off a motorway for a shortcut. Have you got the same speed listed for motorways and A-roads?
manoman48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: posted to VM Reply with quote

For the record I received this response to my questions.

Quote:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your interest in ViaMichelin products and activities.

We are pleased to inform you that the journey time error has been solved in the new version. Besides that ViaMichelin Navigation 4 contains updated maps, updated route calculation and the memory management has been seriously improved. In order to run version 3 on your PDA, you need at least 11MB of free space in your internal memory of your PDA. For version 4 though, this amount has been seriously reduced.
Also a large number of POIs has been added and the following new features are available in version 4:

-Speed Limit Warner
-Change map language (eg. Excellent support in multilingual areas such as Brussels)

Therefore version 4 is not just an upgrade, but a complete new version.

We hope that we have answered your request, and are at your disposal should you have any other suggestions or questions.

Yours faithfully,

I have sent VM the link to this forum and also a copy of my own post. Maybe we can convince them to at least answer the questions properly.
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't see anything in their list of improvements and new features which is worth the money they're asking.

Also note that they're only telling us about new features, and there's no mention of old features which may have been dropped (as happened when "upgrading" from 2 to 3).
theonlyone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! Embarassed
Yup, the speeds were too close together. Have reset them and found the that it has fixed my issue.
Regards,
theonlyone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metroace,
My above post is for you. Thanks for the tip.
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, I am a new user to Sat Nav, and I must admit, I haven't found any of the bugs others have found, perhaps I will as I use it more. But If version 3 is so bad, can you demand a refund, as it doesn't do what it was intended to do, or whatever the fraze is, perhaps if enough people demand a refund, they will fix the bugs, or give a bigger discount on version 4. They can't expect people to buy version 4 as a fix for version 3 that doesn't work, I for one want my version to work properly, if not, perhaps they should give me my money back.
dmailer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gpsdeano wrote:
Thought this may be of use. I wrote to VM and said:

Quote:
On 20/04/2005 I upgraded my software from 1.3? to v3 at a cost of 85 euros. This software has had several issues that you have failed to resolve, primarily the issue of time at destination.

Now some 7 months later you release a new version and expect me to pay a further 99 euros (after my 50 euro discount) to upgrade if i want this feature to be resolved.

Whilst I except that there are some new features and new maps I am disappointed that I have to pay so much. I expect to pay something to get the new features, but as the previous product you sold me failed to work correctly i believe you should offer a greater discount.

I would be grateful to receive your comments.

The response as expected:

Quote:
We would like to thank you very much for your feedback and your interest in our digital products.

However, we regret to inform you that it is not possible to get another discount than the €50 off ViaMichelin Navigation V4.

Indeed, the version 4 contains not only updated maps and
updated route calculation, but also new features such as:
-Speed Limit Warner
-Besides, the memory management has been seriously improved.

We are at your disposal should you have any other suggestions or questions.

Yours faithfully,

Question is will any of these new functions work?

You are luck to get a reply. My similar email sent to ViaMichelin over 10 days ago (including a link to this forum) has still not resulted in any response.

My Euros will be staying firmly in my wallet until they show more respect for their (previously) loyal customers. Crying or Very sad
sbcco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My € will also be staying in my pocket. I'm actually quite happy with the program - it's quite stable and, in my view, works quite well on the road. Yes, there are areas that could be improved but none I'd pay good money for.

My complaint is that the maps have too many errors (rather than repeat my examples, here's a thread on it http://pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=31752.

Errors that mean I can't even get it to find my home street correctly undermines confidence that it can find others. Errors that put towns 20 miles away from their true position, or list streets in the wrong town, means I need to keep a £2.99 atlas handy to check it's picked up the right place before setting out and ending up miles from where I wanted to go.

Errors that are reported and get a reply that they'll be fixed in the upgrade, an upgrade they want me to pay €149 for, but can't confirm the maps have been fixed.

Like others, I'm searching around and TomTom currently looks favourite.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: