Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Streetpilot i3 - software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Streetpilot i3 - software
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polybear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Garmin Streetpilot i3 - software Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm about to buy an i3 from Argos - should this have the latest software version loaded already? I don't want to download from the internet as soon as I've bought it etc.

I'm assuming that there is no annual fee etc. for using GPS - am I correct?

p.s. The i3 seems to be a pretty good and easy to use unit - it's a prezzy for my partner for xmas. I don't want anything super clever, just simple to use and reliable for a to b navigation. Any thoughts please?

Many thanks.
Polybear
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

polybear ..lots of questions and answers on this forum,have a read you'll learn alot...
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Streetpilot i3 - software Reply with quote

Polybear wrote:
should this have the latest software version loaded already? I'm assuming that there is no annual fee etc. for using GPS - am I correct? Any thoughts please?

Welcome

There are two map versions v7 and v8. You should try and get v8 if you can (as described by Dan_Gleebitz).

There are firmware updates (the operating system of the unit) that you can download from Garmin's website and update the i3.
http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00434-00

Pretty much any sat nav system is going to have firmware updates from time to time and it is likely that the i3 won't have the very latest firmware on it. The update procedure is straight forward (make sure you have fresh batteries in the unit before you do it). You don't have to update it if you aren't having any problems with it.

You are correct in thinking that there is no annual fee to use the GPS system.

Other thoughts? I don't own an i3 (I have a Garmin Quest) but from the comments about the i3 in this forum, it is a nice little unit that your partner will be very pleased with.

Probably the only gotcha is that the European maps aren't available for it yet and they will be a fairly expensive add-on (about £80 for France for example).
Polybear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks - I've decided to wait a couple of weeks before buying it so that if i "get it wrong" I'll be able to return it under the Argos 16 day return policy. It should also give me more of a chance to get a unit with v8 software installed already.
Best Regards,
Polybear
DaveO1959
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polybear wrote:
Many thanks - I've decided to wait a couple of weeks before buying it so that if i "get it wrong" I'll be able to return it under the Argos 16 day return policy. It should also give me more of a chance to get a unit with v8 software installed already.
Best Regards,
Polybear

Argos 16 day return policy does not apply to GPS units including the i3.

Dave
DaveO1959
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan_Gleebitz wrote:
Why wait?
As mentioned in other threads. Argos have now dropped the price by another tenner to £159.99 and you can view an item before buying at Argos, so just look for v8 on the box before parting with your cash.
Dan.

I am not sure how you could do this. You pay for the goods at Argos before you pick them up so won't be able to check before parting with your money!

They tell you before they take your money the 16 day return thing does not apply so once the transaction is complete I guess it is yours despite the fact it hasn't yet appeared from the store room at the back of the shop.

Also the i3 comes in a box-within-a-box at Argos. There is an outer plain cardboard box that is sealed with tape that says something like "Check contents if the seal is broken".

So to check anything on the actual box the i3 is in, you would have to open the outer box first in-store.

If they let you do that, whether they would then refund your money if you decided you didn't want the unit I have no idea.

I purchased an i3 from Argos last week and returned it as "faulty" and they gave me a refund no problem. It had v7 maps and I wanted the v8. The "fault" I returned it for was the fact the box said it should contain a CD and it didn't. Argos accepted that as a fault but other peoples milage may vary if they tried that Laughing.

Dave
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveO1959 wrote:
Dan_Gleebitz wrote:
Why wait?
As mentioned in other threads. Argos have now dropped the price by another tenner to £159.99 and you can view an item before buying at Argos, so just look for v8 on the box before parting with your cash.
Dan.

I am not sure how you could do this. You pay for the goods at Argos before you pick them up so won't be able to check before parting with your money!

They tell you before they take your money the 16 day return thing does not apply so once the transaction is complete I guess it is yours despite the fact it hasn't yet appeared from the store room at the back of the shop.

Also the i3 comes in a box-within-a-box at Argos. There is an outer plain cardboard box that is sealed with tape that says something like "Check contents if the seal is broken".

So to check anything on the actual box the i3 is in, you would have to open the outer box first in-store.

If they let you do that, whether they would then refund your money if you decided you didn't want the unit I have no idea.

I purchased an i3 from Argos last week and returned it as "faulty" and they gave me a refund no problem. It had v7 maps and I wanted the v8. The "fault" I returned it for was the fact the box said it should contain a CD and it didn't. Argos accepted that as a fault but other peoples milage may vary if they tried that Laughing.

Dave

I'm pretty sure Argos will let you do a "view" on an item - ie look at it before you chose to buy one - I'm sure I've done that before.

Index certainly used to, and I'm fairly sure you can in Argos - ask at a till / counter.

It's only fair to the customer to let them have a look at something before they choose to buy it - there's NOTHING wrong in wanting to inspect the box, and even any labels on the box confirming mapping versions, before you pony up the dough.

You're spending your money, you're fully entitled to check - thoroughly if need be - exactly what you're getting for your money.
DaveO1959
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:

It's only fair to the customer to let them have a look at something before they choose to buy it - there's NOTHING wrong in wanting to inspect the box, and even any labels on the box confirming mapping versions, before you pony up the dough.

I agree but the v7 and v8 thing is not really an issue given the email I just got from Garmin.

I asked if I bought an i3 with v7 maps on would I be entitled to a free v8 upgrade. The answer was:

"Even if you do end up with a unit with version 7 mapping you will be
eligible to version 8 for free.
However there is little to no difference between version 7 and 8 when it
comes to the UK and Ireland.
The main difference are countries like Spain and Italy."

That was from Tom Bird at Garmin Europe who responded to my email almost immediately I submitted the question at the Garmin web site.

Dave
chas46c
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveO1959 wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:

I agree but the v7 and v8 thing is not really an issue given the email I just got from Garmin.

I asked if I bought an i3 with v7 maps on would I be entitled to a free v8 upgrade. The answer was:

"Even if you do end up with a unit with version 7 mapping you will be
eligible to version 8 for free.
However there is little to no difference between version 7 and 8 when it
comes to the UK and Ireland.
The main difference are countries like Spain and Italy."

That was from Tom Bird at Garmin Europe who responded to my email almost immediately I submitted the question at the Garmin web site.

Dave

Hi Dave, can you tell me what I would need to do to get the 8 version.

Thanks

charlie.
Hywel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Streetpilot i3 - software Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Polybear wrote:
should this have the latest software version loaded already? I'm assuming that there is no annual fee etc. for using GPS - am I correct? Any thoughts please?

Welcome

There are two map versions v7 and v8. You should try and get v8 if you can (as described by Dan_Gleebitz).

There are firmware updates (the operating system of the unit) that you can download from Garmin's website and update the i3.
http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00434-00

Pretty much any sat nav system is going to have firmware updates from time to time and it is likely that the i3 won't have the very latest firmware on it. The update procedure is straight forward (make sure you have fresh batteries in the unit before you do it). You don't have to update it if you aren't having any problems with it.

You are correct in thinking that there is no annual fee to use the GPS system.

Other thoughts? I don't own an i3 (I have a Garmin Quest) but from the comments about the i3 in this forum, it is a nice little unit that your partner will be very pleased with.

Probably the only gotcha is that the European maps aren't available for it yet and they will be a fairly expensive add-on (about £80 for France for example).

I have two i3 boxes in front of me. One is mine, one is my father-in-law's. They were both bought from Staples, but from different branches, about 3 weeks apart. You can tell v7 from v8 by looking on the bottom of the box:

Box 1: Software v2.5, Maps v7, says '...preprogrammed with City Select Europe NT v7 (UK/Ireland only)...'. The box print is 007-00868-01 Rev. B (bottom left of bottom of box printing). On one side this box has a 'Navteq on board' logo.

Box 2: Software v2.5, Maps v8, says '...preprogrammed with City Navigator Europe NT (UK/Ireland only)...'. The box print is 007-00868-211 Rev. A (bottom left of bottom of box printing). This box has the 'Navteq on board' logo on the bottom of the box, with the Ordnance survey logo moved next to it compared to the older version.

Apart from some small differences in where the logos are it's hard to tell the boxes apart. But at least you can tell them apart without opening them I think!! Basically, look for boxes with the Box 2 print version.... I assume that the contents are the same.
DaveO1959
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chas46c wrote:

Thanks

charlie.

The only way you can get v8 maps at the moment is to buy a new i3 with them already loaded. They are not yet available from Garmin as an update.

The email I received from Garmin just means that when they do become available, the upgrade for i3's purchased now will be free. I guess that means the v8 release as an upgrade must be immanent.

Dave
chas46c
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for the reply.

Charlie.

DaveO1959 wrote:
chas46c wrote:

Thanks

charlie.

The only way you can get v8 maps at the moment is to buy a new i3 with them already loaded. They are not yet available from Garmin as an update.

The email I received from Garmin just means that when they do become available, the upgrade for i3's purchased now will be free. I guess that means the v8 release as an upgrade must be immanent.

Dave
Jita
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Garmin Streetpilot i3 Reply with quote

Hi - Novice user of Embarassed - how do I get latest maps - speed camera etc - what do I do please?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

Latest maps - If you have registered your i3 with Garmin the easiest way is to check in MyGarmin to see what's available.

Speed Cameras - Start here. You'll need to subscribe and then you can download the Speed Camera Database. I suggest Garmin POILoader - Consolidated for the i3. You'll also need POILoader from here to load the cameras onto the i3.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: