Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Date of next release?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Date of next release?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hornist
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Date of next release? Reply with quote

The GPSassist website implies that they are working on a new release that is designed for use with TTN2. Is there any info on when that is likely to be available?

I know that the current version works with TTN2, but was designed for TTN1 and so now duplicates some features that have now been added in TTN2. I also understand from reading other posts in this forum that there seem to be some problems with Pocket Windows 2003.

I'm quite keen to get GPSassist to add to my setup (iPAQ 5550, PWin 2003, TTN2, TT Bluetooth GPS receiver), but don't really want to use a version that may be flaky with my setup. If the new release is not too far off then I'll wait. If it's years away then I may take the risk with the current version.

Paul
RichDem
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Date of next release? Reply with quote

I too posted a message a while ago asking about the new version, I never had a single reply from the people at GPS Assist which I felt was a little dissapointing. There are many people out there who have been patiently waiting and I would have thought a quick message posted here to all of their loyal users would have been a nice touch. Even if the new version is still 6 months away at least we will know. I gave up using GPS Assist with Navigator2 because of the problems, I must say I tried all of the work arounds to no avail. I am now using CheckPoint which is free and still does a good job of notifying you when aproaching listed POints Of Interest.

If you are reading this Jo, how about a quick message on the progress of the new version.

Richard
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

I'm with Richard - I am very interested in the features of GPSAssist, but won't consider letting the current version anywhere near my Pocket PC.

I would be very interested in a rewritten version - and if such a rewritten version solves the issues, I'm highly likely to register the software.

David
Malcolm
Occasional Visitor

If Jo is reading this (and I hope he is!) I agree with the guys. I used and registered the product early on and still use it with TTN2 - in spite of the bugs. In the early days I was very impressed with how very repsonsive Jo was to almost all the queries. So JO - where are you - or do you now consider GPS assist to be an "ex-product"?? At least tell us so we know where we stand. Any feedback from Dave and the GPS guys???

Malcolm
zappy61
Regular Visitor

I got GPDAssist last April being advised on the site that it would be a valuable addition to TTN2. how wrong this was it is full of bugs it may have worked ok for TTN1 but not for 2. Why did GPSAssist take my money before they had got a product that worked properly! I don't use it at all because of the hassle it causes with my machine.

I too have been waiting patiently for the upgrade but nothing appears to be moving, no indication from them when it is likely to be available it really is a poor show.
RichDem
Frequent Visitor

I sent them an email a couple of days ago and got an automated reply saying the office is shut due to holidays and would re open on the 18 August. I will wait to see if I get an answer then I will mail them again.

Richard
catken96
Occasional Visitor

As a fully paid-up registered user, I too am waiting for the next update! Spec-wise it's a "must-have add-on", but operationally it is a bit quirky.

I would like to see an icon somewhere onscreen so that you can get to the GPSAssist menu at any time. I sometimes find that the designated button doesn't pull up the menu, so you can't STOP GPSAssist/TTNav.

If you exit TTNav it restarts after 3-4 seconds ad infinitum. You have to go to "Running Programs" and stop both that way. A real pain in the haemorrhoids!!

I should think that it will require quite a re-write to maintain compatibility with future TomTom upgrades. So, come on PromaSoft, it's got potential, let's see it. I look forward to receiving the Email saying the next version is ready for downloading.

Tom.

rolly
Occasional Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by RichDem on 15 August 2003

I sent them an email a couple of days ago and got an automated reply saying the office is shut due to holidays and would re open on the 18 August. I will wait to see if I get an answer then I will mail them again.

Richard

rolly
Occasional Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by RichDem on 15 August 2003

Richard

Richard, the same here no reply whatsoever even as todays it's August 20, 2003 half way through the day. I am really dissapointed in GPSAssist.

Is there no other program similar to GPSAssist with a reputation being more reliable ?

Dave
Frequent Visitor

I've been speaking with Jo (GPS Assist author) and Jo is currently in the middle of changing jobs and doesn't have much time for additional development work on GPS Assist, and also with the lack of time, support issues may not be addressed as quickly as normal.

Jo says, "I'm still planning to create a brand new version on the CE.NET platform now that the market to the US has been opened". Do bear in mind that Jo's time is currently limited, so don't expect something soon.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: