Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dissapointed with tomtom mobile 5 License issue
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dissapointed with tomtom mobile 5 License issue
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveymoll
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Dissapointed with tomtom mobile 5 License issue Reply with quote

I have just upgraded from tomtom mobile to tomtom mobile 5, it would appear that i can only load the software on 1 handset, i installed it on my c500 without any problems also did the 4.2 version upgrade so i could run it on my communicator. After installing it i could not activate it, contacted tomtom support and they said only 1 unit allowed. I think this is crazy as I like most people probaly use two or three phones its obviously a license issue. At least with co pilot they allo three handsets for it to be loaded on. Can anyone confirm this is the case.

davey
Brodieman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself am looking at the getting TTm5 as my PDA based Medion Navigator GPS broke this monday.

After reading something on here I thought I'd check the licence agreement.... not as easy as it sound thou... there no mention on the website of the licence agreement (or at least not from what I found...), but after downloading an update just read read the licence agreement I found this:

Quote:
1) GRANT OF LICENSE: This EULA grants a license (“License”) that permits you to use the TomTom Software and Hardware if and as rightfully obtained (including the digital (map) data, either downloaded, or included in the accompanying package acquired with this EULA) on any single computer or (Hardware) device, provided the Software is installed and/or the Service is used on only one computer or (Hardware) device at any time and provided the Software is combined only with one
(1) navigation system
. This License is non-exclusive and non-transferable. This License does not imply any rights to future upgrades or updates of the Software. The use of any upgrades or updates of the Software is governed by this EULA and its amendments and may be subject to additional payments and conditions. This License does not imply any rights to future delivery of free or paid Service or any other services.

So from the looks of it.. you can only install TTm5 on a single computer or mobile (not clear thou if it's only one mobile)

but thats provided that the service IE TTm5 is only used on any single computer or mobile at any time, so with this i would assume you could use it on as many mobiles as you like, as long as only one of them is the active navigation system

What isn't clear is if the licence lets you transfer it to another mobile... now in my opinion, (like that counts for anything when laywers get involved) this is not OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) software, or at least it's not if you bought it seperately from the mobile or PDA, it retail, and even Microsoft's retail licence let you unistall it from one computer and install the software on another..

So under that assumption I would guess that you could install it on 1 device at a time, but if you say change your mobile you should be fine... but I will be speaking to them to clarify this as I'm due to upgrade my mobile with the next 6 weeks... (what a pain that my SATNAV died this week.... could of not waited another 6 weeks Sad )
daveymoll
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the comments interesting points you have raised, I was so dissapointed after i loaded it on the 9500 and couldnt get passed the activation and then to be told only 1 device I hope tomtom listen to peoples complaints as like i said previously most owners of tomtom 5 use more than 1 device, I feel so gutted.

Regards

Davey
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dissapointed with tomtom mobile 5 License issue Reply with quote

daveymoll wrote:
I like most people probaly use two or three phones

Eh? I would guess the vast majority of people use one phone only. Not many have money to throw around on several of the things.
daveymoll
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not a question of throwing money around, I now use a communicator during the day for business and in the evenings going out, or weekends I dont want to carry the brick around hence the reason for two phones and two license's, I certainly dont have the money to throw around.
daveymoll
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom Mobile 5 on Nokia 3230
TomTom Navigator 5 on HP iPaq 2210, TomTom Wired GPS

interesting comment you made looking at WHAT U HAVE,
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy Windows XP you are licenced to install on one PC, it's
standard practice. Why should TomTom allow you to install on more than one device?

I've got two laptops and three PC's but don't expect to be able to install a single copy of XP and Office on all of them.

Certainly in my experience as a Systems Engineer it's the norm in the IT industry and in GPS its the same thing.

Last edited by Darren on Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
daveymoll
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps ive been spoilt as im sure my original tomtom mobile allowed more than 1 device, any way if thats the rules best to draw a line under this post

would be interesting to do a survey as to who uses more than 1 device
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the licence permits only one install at a time but the activation process will allow a single key to be used more than once as follows:

Install 1

Install 2 - After 7 days has passed from Install 1

Install 3 - After 180 days has passed from Install 2

This may be why you think older versions allowed multiple installs. Nothing has changed in v5 but you are breaking the licence terms if you install on multiple concurrent devices. The multiple install facility is provided to cater for instances where devices fail or new hardware is bought to replace older models. If you use all your keys then you'll have to justify a request for an additional unlock with TomTom.
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveymoll wrote:
its not a question of throwing money around, I now use a communicator during the day for business and in the evenings going out, or weekends I dont want to carry the brick around hence the reason for two phones and two license's, I certainly dont have the money to throw around.

2 devices, so 2 licenses, so buy 2 copies of TTM5. So easy, so logical.
Crocodile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TuurG wrote:
So smug, so flawed.

You appear to have ommitted the link to where the software or license can be purchased without an additional & unwanted GPS receiver.....
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveymoll wrote:
TomTom Mobile 5 on Nokia 3230
TomTom Navigator 5 on HP iPaq 2210, TomTom Wired GPS

interesting comment you made looking at WHAT U HAVE,

The second one of which is being 'given' to someone else.
My remarks were not an attack on you having two phones, go for your life. Just the fact that you assert that 'most' people have more than one phone. Which I find very difficult to believe.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crocodile wrote:
TuurG wrote:
So smug, so flawed.

You appear to have ommitted the link to where the software or license can be purchased without an additional & unwanted GPS receiver.....

Which is stupid. Especially since you can buy the GPS receiver without the software, why not the other way around?
iangus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok my ppc has recently suffered a smashed screen. clearly i need to replace it. i only WANT TO HAVE ONE LICENCE but theres no way that i can uninstall the prog from one ppc to put it onto another. surely under these circumstances the software can be transferred? (annoyingly ive only just paid for the upgrade at the same time the old ppc died. fuming). any ideas anybody?
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangus wrote:
ok my ppc has recently suffered a smashed screen. clearly i need to replace it. i only WANT TO HAVE ONE LICENCE but theres no way that i can uninstall the prog from one ppc to put it onto another. surely under these circumstances the software can be transferred? (annoyingly ive only just paid for the upgrade at the same time the old ppc died. fuming). any ideas anybody?

Of course you can. The usual rules about 7 days after initial activation and every 6 months apply however if you are still inside those limits you can contact TomTom and they should issue you a code for your new machine. They may ask for some kind of proof, tho.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: