Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help Required
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help Required

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nik A
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Help Required Reply with quote

I have just pre-ordered a new car which had the option of SATNAV which I thought might be helpful, however @ £1200 I thought it a little pricey... I also had a copy of Stuff which reviewed several hand held devices which seemed much more sensible as I'd be able to use it in the wife's car or when out cycling/walking. I have since spent too long on the net and in particular aound this site and gotten sore eyes and a little confused (Too much candy in the sweetie shop!)

I notice that most systems require or are bundled with an iPAQ ... at present I have a Palm m500 with a BT adapter and would like to use that if poss. Whilst several units list Palm as supported all the reviews seem to be about iPAQs. The only Palm system I can find doesn't support voice which I think I'd prefer to have so I guess the question is are there any options for that kind of software with something like the Navman 4400 to couple with the Palm, or should I change to an iPAQ as well? If I should change which model would be the most sensible to get?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Help Required Reply with quote

Unfortunately the PalmPC range is very poorly served with navigation software. You are restricted to TomTom City and Routeplanner software which does not have voice or route re-calculation. CityPlanner allows you to load individual city maps and RoutePlanner is an inter-city map but these are basically the firts generation navigation products and far removed from the best available today.

There is no shortage of GPS devices that will work with them including BT devices although the Navman 4400 is only available in a bundle with PocketPC software at present.

Whilst I hate to say it I am afraid the best advice I could give would be to sell the Palm and buy a PocketPC, they really are much better for GPS use.

What model? Depends on budget, secondhand it would be a iPAQ 3970 and a BT GPS, something like the Emtac or Globalsat units, new then the 2210 again with a BT GPS.
Nik A
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Darren,

I was coming to that conclusion but thought it might be prudent to ask!

Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

The new Ique 3600 will have voice navigation software.

It will be around £500.

You can consider that if you prefer Palm to PPC for your PDA use.

And you still have to sell your Palm!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: