Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GR-213 TTFF
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GR-213 TTFF
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maljay48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have had my third GR-213 for just over 2 weeks now and although generally speaking it is working OK, I have had the odd few glitches with it. The second day in use, it refused to find a fix at all and after about 25 minutes, I powered it down and back up again which seemed to cure the problem. The TTFF times seem quite erratic compared with the first 2 units when they were working properly, most of the time, it finds a fix after about 3 minutes, but occasionally this can go up to five. These times are a lot slower than the first 2. However as it is functioning fairly reliably at the moment, I am reasonably happy.

Will report back if performance starts to deteriorate.

Cheers

MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wait for my GR213 to get a fix before moving off, but I didn't today. I had a 5 minute break in the middle of my journey today, restarted the car, put phone in cradle as normal & after a minute or two, turned on Tom Tom. It did not get a fix. No idea why. About 15 minutes later, a call came through, Tom Tom restarted itself as per normal and hey presto, I had directions!
omaruk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have there been any updates from Holux about this problem? Also do other wired SIRF III receivers also suffer from this problem?
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omaruk wrote:
Have there been any updates from Holux about this problem? Also do other wired SIRF III receivers also suffer from this problem?

Nothing I'm aware of anyway. They seem to be very quiet about this although they must be well aware of the problem. I know there is a more recent firmware available than the one I have, but I have no confirmation about whether this newer firmware actually makes any difference or not.

I just returned my 2nd unit to the dealer and have required the money back. I'll probably go for a BT receiver (run on battery) instead since the problems with the GR-213 seems to be related to the way it handles power cut-offs.

/Ulf
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uffe73 wrote:
omaruk wrote:

Nothing I'm aware of anyway. They seem to be very quiet about this although they must be well aware of the problem. I know there is a more recent firmware available than the one I have, but I have no confirmation about whether this newer firmware actually makes any difference or not.

I just returned my 2nd unit to the dealer and have required the money back. I'll probably go for a BT receiver (run on battery) instead since the problems with the GR-213 seems to be related to the way it handles power cut-offs.

/Ulf

I spoke to Julie from Holux at the meet on Saturday and they are still looking into it.
johnmar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: UPDATE Reply with quote

I had a long chat the other day with support at Holux UK to try to find out if there had been any developments in solving the problems reported in this thread. Following a period of defensive statements that the problems were attributable to the way in which I was misusing the kit, I was pointed in a direction, which has demonstrated to me (at least) over the past few days that there probably is no problem with the GR213 in itself.

Firstly it has been agreed that leaving the power adapter 'permanently' in the cigarette lighter or accessory socket will cause a problem. This occurs on cranking the engine, which causes multiple power off/on/off/on......etc over a short space of time and throws the unit into a "confused state". This can be rectified by a cold start until the next time. Left to its own devices, the unit would, if it failed to achieve a fix, eventualy initiate a cold start anyway.

In order to use the kit via the cig socket, as opposed to hard wiring or rewiring the cig socket, I was given the following guidelines. All the following to be done prior to running TTN, and all rely on starting the engine before powering on the system. Also the sytem should be powered off before turning off the engine. On the first occassion, the procedure should be: 1) Start engine 2) Connect system to power 3) Cold start GPS with software (GPSViewer etc) to establish clean situation 4) Establish fix 5) Run TTN etc and use system 6) Disconnect system 7) Turn off engine. Subsequently there should be no need for the Cold Start via software.

I was told that if, after a week of following this, I still had a problem then they would exchange the unit.

I have (when I have remembered) followed this procedure and have found that on returning to the car for the 'next' journey that a fix has been obtained in acceptable times, usually under one minute. It is however a pain in the **** having to remember to ensure that the adapter is partly pulled out prior to cranking the engine. I'm also concerned that this will eventually lead to wear on either or both the socket or adapter! I shall probably opt for some form of rewiring to save this hassle.

A suggested method of permanently powered hard wiring would be to connect the charger unit to a live feed and to include a fuse and a switch in the circuit. The fuse is obvious, the switch would be to a) avoid power drain over extended periods of non use of the vehicle and b) to allow the unit to be switched off occasionaly to allowit to refresh data etc.

I hope this is useful. It's a shame that Holux couldn't be more forthcoming and post this advice themselves Question Question Question

iPAQ3830 (32MB) PPC2002 ROM 1.20
CF Expansion Pack
Holux GR-213 GPS Mouse (GSW3.1.1 -3.1.00.07 C23B1.00)
Kingston Elite Pro 1 GB CF Card for maps
Viking 512MB SD Card (not used for navigating)
TTNav 5.210 (5430) Maps of W Europe
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Thanks very much for this information! It's very interesting to hear that the suspicions I had from the start seem to be correct and that Holux admit it (only to you, but still...).

I believe their suggested solution might work...BUT it is really a workaround for a bug which is uncacceptable from a user's point of view. Who would buy this product if they knew that you have to connect/reconnect the unit from power each time you use it????

Did you get any hints as to if the problem is due to the HW design made by Holux or if the problem resides in the SiRF circuit? If the problem is in the Holux design, Holux should really pay the money back to users who suffer from the problem.

Regards,

Ulf
Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (SW ver. 3.70)
johnmar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ulf

As I said, their tone was very defensive and although I commend loyalty, I don't believe that I should be made to accept that I as the user was at fault by leaving the charger permanently connected. I am sure that if we conducted a poll amoungst users of wired GPS's, not just Holux, (connected via the cig lighter socket), a significant majority will be found to use their systems in that manner.

There are I am sure many who do move units regularly from car to car, but I am confident that there are many more who have semi-permanent installations powered via the cig socket who would never in their dreams have considered the need to connect and disconnect on every occassion.

I did raise the question as to whether this was only a problem for SIRF III but he thought that it may also have been a problem for SIRF II units but that the performance expectations had been lower in the past and this may have masked the problem???

There were no hints as to design problems. He insisted however that the system had never been designed to be used in the way in which I and I am sure many others consider to be the norm. It all sounded like a case of moving goal posts with the benefit of hindsight Exclamation

They clearly have a lot of egg on their face and owe their customers a better deal. In all other respects they do seem to be a good company and I am sure that at some point they will make serious efforts to address this problem in a more constructive manner Question

Perhaps now Holux would care to add to this debate Rolling Eyes

Maybe now we can guess as to why we still haven't seen a review on the 213 which was promissed some weeks ago.

Regards

CF Expansion Pack
maljay48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My third GR-213 is now showing the same symptoms as the other 2. Roughly every 2nd trip, it will just not find a fix. I have tried the following

Not powering up until I have started the car

As above and not powering the Ipaq up until I have a fix

Different combinations of powering GPS, PDA and running Co-Pilot but nothing seems give any consistent results.

I have contacted GPSforless who have now referred me to Holux, but I have to say that I am pretty unimpressed. I don't think that I am using my kit any differently than the vast majority of users, but Holux after initial interest in this forum are now notable for their silence.

Can anyone recommend a wired GPS receiver that works with cigar lighter type power connection (I don't want to wire it in permanently as it is a company car) and PDA cradle or should I go for a bluetooth receiver and just leave it permanently connected to the power supply (Probably considerably shortening the life of the batteries).

A rather unhappy

MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first GR-213 is still working fine, still getting fixes promptly after 3 months of constant use. If I want to use it I just switch on the ignition which the powers up the Holux receiver and within 1-2 mins I always have a fix, as Tom Tom finds the route. I can't see my receiver as it is inside my dashboard.
johnmar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

From the information posted on this thread, your setup seems to be a successful compromise between hardwired and 'hardwired-permanently-powered'.

Are you able to provided some detailed information as to how you have achieved this?

Do you use Holux's in car power adapter/charger. If you do, it is obviously not plugged into the cigarette lighter socket. Is it plugged into a socket which you acquired and then wired in? Or have you connected in a different manner?

I appreciate that all vehicles have their own wiring and circuit layouts, but how did you chose which circuit, ignition switch controlled, to tap into for your feed? Clearly some of them are denied power whilst the engine is being cranked, which is the root cause of the problem?

Thanks and regards

CF Expansion Pack
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John

I use a Seidio G2100S cradle for charging the phone and to provide power to the GR-213, via a RJ11 jack. The cradle is hardwired to the same circuit that my Bluetooth carkit installer used which I know is ignition based, but is not affected by the engine cranking.

So, I just have a ps/2 or whatever the lead is out of the GR-213, connected to an adaptor cable supplied by Holux which changes the end to a RJ11 jack.

The Seidio unit has outputs for RJ11, DC out and DC input.

It works a treat and is very neat.[/img]
johnmar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike

Food for thought.

I hadn't appreciated that the input to your Seidio was 12V and that the conversion to 5V took place in the mount itself. I wonder whether there is an issue with the Holux power adapter as well as or instead of the suspected 'power denial problem' on engine cranking?

Clearly I need to discuss this with an auto electrician, possibly with a view to rewiring my accessory socket (this is in addition to the cig lighter socket) to similar specs to your own. This way I can retain the flexibility of using the setup in another car, assuming that there is no problem with regard to the Holux power adapter.

Regards

CF Expansion Pack
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnmar wrote:
Thanks Mike
I wonder whether there is an issue with the Holux power adapter as well as or instead of the suspected 'power denial problem' on engine cranking?

This is indeed a very interesting question. A person with better electronic skills than me should probably be able to measure this up. Has anyone managed to get inside the receiver housing?

I'm also most interested in finding out if SiRF III based mouse receivers from other companies suffer the same problem. If not, it MUST be some circuit design problem within Holux's power or what do you reckon?

Regards,
Ulf
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could any of you guys please tell me what items are included in the GR-213 box? I've returned my products to the dealer and have claimed the money back, but they say there is a couple of accessories missing from the box. One item the say is missing is a suck mount for the windscreen. The thing is that I can't recall seeing such a thing in the box from the beginning. Can anyone tell me if you recived such a thing.

Also, what items are listed in the included packing list?

I guess I should have taken a picture of the items before sending them back to the dealer because they are obviously using this as an excuse for not having to repay me the money...

/Ulf
Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (SW ver. 3.70)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: