Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mitac Mio 268 Digiwalker review.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mitac Mio 268 Digiwalker review.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Mitac Mio 268 Digiwalker review. Reply with quote

The Mitac Mio 268 is one of the latest additions to the Mitac DigiWalker range of Personal Navigation Devices. The other is the Mio 269. Both are Windows CE 4.2 based systems offering integrated GPS, MP3 Player and Contact management.

Powered by an Intel PXA255 processor running at 300MHz with 32Mb ROM and 64Mb RAM. The device also has a 3 and a half inch transreflective TFT touch screen. If this is all too technical don't worry, basically it has the same specification as mid to high range PDAs. This is all packaged in a stylish unit which fits nicely in the palm of your hand.

The navigation software on the Mio 268 is called Mio Map and is based on the respected Navigon 4 application, and is complemented with mapping from Tele Atlas.

Click here to read the full review.
pagla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Mitac 268 and tomtom 5 navigation Reply with quote

I have used TTN5 on mitac 168 pda and found it be very good combination.
my question is can mitac 268/269 be "modified" to run tom tom 5 software?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The official answer is no.

In theory you can, but the difference between the 168 and the 268 is that the 168 runs Windows Mobile and the 268/9 runs WinCE.Net. TomTom do have an install for the WinCE.Net (we saw it running on the Gizmondo at CeBIT) but it has not been released.

But before you can do any of this you will need to unlock the 268, something that is not trivial and will probably invalidate your warranty.
uczmeg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see some info on these, as I've been toying with getting a 269. Thanks!

It is probably worth pointing out that the Plus version of the 268/269 is due out about October the 8th.

Pretty much the same thing, but given a nice boost. It has updated to include new software, SiRFstarIII GPS and a 400Mhz processor.

It also seems to cost a little less.

Novatech has them to preorder...

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?MIO-268P
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?MIO-269P

Cheers
Marc
Speedie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the Mio 268 is 'locked' and other applications such as OziExplorer cannot be loaded without unlocking (difficult but not impossible I understand)

I am considering purchasing a Mio 269+......with 2.5G hardrive.....is this model also locked........seems with this HDD, locking it would defeat the purpose

I have been unabe to get a definite answer

I need to be able to run OziExplorer for 4WD tracks in Australia

Also there are many pocketPC programs that it would be useful to be able to load (it comes with Contact, MP3 & Video programs)

Thank you for any help

David in OZ
labman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Mio 269 in October '05 because nothing else had a hard disc with complete maps of Europe included at anywhere near the special offer price. Two weeks later the improved Mio 269+ model came out (annoying!), however a free map update was provided, and I haven't had any problems with the earlier GPS chipset - although it's very hard to pick up any satellites if you're surrounded by even moderately tall buildings. The 269+ chipset may be better in this respect. A lot of retailers are selling off their surplus Mio 269 stock right now, so be careful which one you buy. Go for the "plus"!

Your review of the equivalent memory-card based Mio 268 was spot-on, but I'd like to add some observations: first of all, the suction cup windscreen holder provided is useless. Mine repeatedly fell off after a few minutes, even after scrupulous cleaning of the glass, so it's gone. Secondly, the battery life is nowhere near the 4.5 - 5.5 hours Mitac claim; you can't rely on getting much more than an hour, maybe an hour-and-a-half, out of it even when freshly charged. The navigation software is non-intuitive and quite frustrating at times. It's difficult to enter destinations by street name (they often don't seem to be in the database) so it's better to select them on a map, which is slow. It's quite impossible to hit the tiny little icons and do anything while driving unless you want to crash into a tree. The software has also frozen on me twice, requiring a hard reset with the end of a paperclip in the hole on the side of the unit. The resulting reboot process takes about 5 minutes before you've found some satellites and are off again.

On the plus side, the unit is very solid and well made. As well as falling off the windscreen several times, mine has also hit the tarmac from waist height and suffered no ill effects. This unit may not always calculate the perfect route to your destination, but generally does get you there. And as long as you can pick up some satellites it will always tell you exactly where you are if you are lost. Which is nice. Wink
CompufixUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlocking the Mio units is not difficult at all, and doesnt invalidate the warranty ( I checked with Mio) In V1 it involves using a modified version of "contacts.exe" in V2 it involves using a modified version of the "Miomap_2.0" cab files (whichever language).
If you unlock it and dont like it, you can just reinstall Mio from the CD/ DVD and it will be put back to factory settings (do it in case of repair mio told me, just in case someone tries to say unlocking it was the problem)
mcewena
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigon is sold as Oncoursenavigator in north america and they use Navteq data, it's also version 5 now.

Any idea of the date of the data that comes with the US-spec 269?

Any idea if Mio *ever* releases map updates for any of their products?

oncourse doesn't list this unit on their cross product upgrade program..
makman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Mitac Mio 268+ map updates Reply with quote

Hi Forum

First post from me, I just bought the Mitac Mio 268+ for my father who lives in Northern Ireland. After a short investigation I was frustrated to discover that the detailed maps of the British Isles only had the (very) major roads of Ulster, and only details of the largest cities (Dublin and Belfast). He needs detailed maps of all of Europe. Do I need to change this otherwise very impressive unit for one which includes European details, or can I source Irish maps from somewhere and add then to the SD card?

Thanks Smile

MakMan
etters
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everybody
I have just bought a Typhoon 3500 GO in France where I live, it has the MyGuide interface,(WIN CE NET 42 Core) and has Destinator France map and MRE, first of all I understand that this machine is a clone of the Mio 268+, the question I want to ask is how do I install MarcoPolo navigator 3 on this, as I dont like the Destinator maps, it seems to be locked to Mio and My Guide on the ROM, I am sure that ComputexUK can help me as I have seen him on gps passion, with an answer to flash the ROM if this is neccesary, I dont really know, but would like some advice on this subject, I have Emailed Mio and also Typhoon support but have had no answer yet, so any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
etters
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that should have been CompufixUK to help me if he can
etters
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All fixed and working fine, thanks to the person that helped me

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: