Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Q3 2005 NAVTEQ MAPS???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Q3 2005 NAVTEQ MAPS???
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vipergrm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Q3 2005 NAVTEQ MAPS??? Reply with quote

Hi, does anyone know if there is PDA software available yet with the Q3 2005 maps? The reason I ask this is because I know they have FULL COVERAGE of Northern Ireland but as yet I can't seem to be able to find any.

Your help is most appreciated,
titusni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi, does anyone know if there is PDA software available yet with the Q3 2005 maps? The reason I ask this is because I know they have FULL COVERAGE of Northern Ireland but as yet I can't seem to be able to find any.

Hi there. The current Garmin Quest (I know, not a PDA) v7 maps aren't bad for N.I. but the recently rumoured v8 update is supposed to have the final Navteq coverage of N.I. in it...........v8 was supposed to be out late August but still no sign of it yet.

So AFAIK Navteq are finished mapping over here, its just the wait for the GPS companiese to get their fingers out with the updates.

BTW from your id I assume you're a member of the Quay Vipers. Great rally you have in Sept! Pity I only made it down for the Sat night/Sun morning. I was the guy with the Vmax trike :-)
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how often does Navteq typicaly update these maps?
vipergrm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titusni wrote:
Quote:

Hi there. The current Garmin Quest (I know, not a PDA) v7 maps aren't bad for N.I. but the recently rumoured v8 update is supposed to have the final Navteq coverage of N.I. in it...........v8 was supposed to be out late August but still no sign of it yet.

So AFAIK Navteq are finished mapping over here, its just the wait for the GPS companiese to get their fingers out with the updates.

BTW from your id I assume you're a member of the Quay Vipers. Great rally you have in Sept! Pity I only made it down for the Sat night/Sun morning. I was the guy with the Vmax trike :-)

Hi Titusni - Sorry, It has nothing to do with the Rally. My fav car actually :D

Yes you are correct, the full digital mapping for Northern Ireland has already been completed by Navteq. Check out www.maporama.com

You can search anywhere in Northern Ireland even by full post code and this website uses Navteq digital maps.

I e-mail i-guidance about their latest map release and they said they expect to have them completed by the end of the year. This seems accurate because I e-mailed them several times and got very quick replies from different people on different occasions.

As far as I know, the new Evesham PNA at £299 is the only Sat Nav product available with the new Q3 2005 maps, thus including complete coverage.

Yes, you are also correct about Garmin. I too am waiting on V8 to see what it offers. I already use similar map updates for their V7 software (Q4 2004 maps).

Out of interest, I wouldn't expect all Ireland to be covered until possibly the middle of next year. That is just a gut feeling considering the trend of the current mapping.
vipergrm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmonkey wrote:
how often does Navteq typicaly update these maps?

Hi Gmonkey - Supposedly, they update them every quarter. This is mainly for automobile Sat Nav systems.

PDAs etc are more like a 6 months to a year.
kevmac YTY
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody hell.

The NavTeq maps on Maporama for the Republic are way more advanced than the one on my CoPilot 5 and Subaru Kenwood car system (they are April 2004).

Just clicked on Monasterevin to see if the new motorway is there (it is) but all the hamlets surrounding it are there.

This is a first for Ireland maps - up to now only large towns have been included.

One problem though: the NavTeq map names Ireland as the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland!

http://www.maporama.com/share/Map.asp?SESSIONID={02EE7B78-32B3-4474-B271-28D85E0B3882}&ZoomSet=8
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevmac YTY wrote:
The NavTeq maps on Maporama for the Republic are way more advanced than the one on my CoPilot 5 and Subaru Kenwood car system (they are April 2004).

Just clicked on Monasterevin to see if the new motorway is there (it is) but all the hamlets surrounding it are there.

Most of the major roads were done in CP5 but the maps of Ireland improved a lot with the Navteq map release after the one that CP5 uses - all N and R roads appear to be mapped now.

However, many places still remain unmapped in the Maporama maps. Take a look at Naas, Killdare, Carlow, Kilkenny, Ennis, Athlone and Dundalk for examples.

http://www.maporama.com/share/Map.asp?SESSIONID={02EE7B78-32B3-4474-B271-28D85E0B3882}&ZoomSet=4

I'll have a look at the latest Garmin Mapsource v8 maps to see how the Ireland coverage has improved when I get them.
vipergrm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copilot Live 5 maps are very old. There has already been at least one more update (Q4 2004) which I think included N and R roads. The Evesham Bluemedia 6380 is the only Sat Nav system I know that has the latest Navteq Q3 2005 maps. It has FULL coverage for Northern Ireland but so sure about the South. Chances are, we might so see complete Ireland coverage until early to mid next year. The Q3 2005 might have this but I don't think so.
Steve101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look at the maps for the Republic of Ireland in the new Copilot 6. Personally, I can't see the improvement myself. Alright, maybe the N and R roads are all on there now, but these are the main roads after all. There are so many roads in between these R roads that aren't on there, its ridiculous.

If mapping of the south is going to finish in December 2005, how come they are holding back all these roads then. There are literally tens of thousands of these roads all over the country. Even more so than whats in CP6 at the moment. Then you have the missing residential streets as well. I just can't see the logic in waiting until its all done before letting the public get their hands on it.

I think it rather defeats the object of Navteq having 3-4 map updates a year, if they are going to hold on to the new data collected. Surely an update is to improve upon what they already have!

As ALK only have 1 release of Copilot a year, I would like to know what Navteq have been doing exactly in Ireland. A full 12 months of mapping, and I can't really tell the difference between CP5 and CP6 bar a few alterations to existing roads.

Just to get my point across about these back roads. Have a look at Northern Ireland, you will see thousands of these little back roads on there now. All these little grey lines between the yellow ones. Southern Ireland is for 95% of it, missing all these.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it's frustrating that the maps aren't available quicker.

Did you read the article at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/navteq.php ?

It gives an interesting insight into how the mapping process works and how the likes of CoPilot, Garmin etc use the maps and why there is such a delay in releasing them.
Steve101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked at the article on how Navteq do their maps. I know it does say that Rep. of Ireland is quite a difficult country to map, but even so, there should be more maps for this year compared to last. From my point of view, if it takes around about a year for maps to be created and then incorporated into products such as co-pilot 6, then there still should be 12 months worth of new road information. The difference in map quality between CP5 and CP6 is about 2%.

As far as I'm concerned this does not constitute 12 months worth of mapping. I believe that at the moment all the 'M', 'N' and 'R' roads have been completed 100%. The rest of the country according to one particular website was mapped at 37% this time last year, and has gone up 2% since. If the percentage of these roads mapped now stands at 39% and Navteq say they are going to be at 100% by next month, someone is holding onto the remaining 61%.

I am not expecting a figure close to 61% should have been included in CP6, but a 2% increase for the whole year is a bit of a joke. Taking into consideration that Navteq started mapping Ireland in the year 2000 and are finishing at the end of 2005, that equates to a 20% increase a year. I think I'm really wondering why they are holding so much information back. If the reference is now made about the article on the time delay between Navteq mapping the road and the consumer getting their hands on it, as well as the 2% increase in a full 12 months, we'd be lucky to get 100% coverage this century let alone next year. Is co-pilot 7 going to get a 61% increase in 2006 compare to a 2% increase in 2005? I wouldn't exactly call that an acceptable time-delay/excuse, for the mapping process.

One last gripe I had about this was the fact that I specifically asked ALK about the maps for the Rep. of Ireland and they said that there was a significant increase in CP6, much more so than in CP5. This is why I updated my copy. To also use this particular quote on the ALK website about CP6, when I find absolutely no extra coverage for a good lot of major towns and cities in the country, (if any), I think would be classed as false advertising.

"Increased coverage of major towns and cities in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland"
If ALK could tell me exactly what they mean now by the above quote, I would find their answer most amusing.

Oh, and all the markers for the 'L' roads, (all the backroads) have now been removed from CP6. At least in CP5 you could see about 10 metres worth of each of these backroads, so you knew you could at least use it to do a U-turn if you got lost. So now there's acutally less information in CP6 than CP5. I rest my case.
kevmac YTY
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will defer to Steve101 on this one.

I now feel very disappointed that the NavTeq maps have not moved on much from last year seeing as I am about to update my Subaru NavTeq DVD for better Irish maps.

BTW Subaru are charging €635 for the 2006 DVD!
Steve101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a link showing the Navteq coverage for all the different countries it covers. Although its in German, you can change the language to English at the top. Then select the desired country to view the amount of coverage progress.

http://coverage.digi-map.de/index.php4

As you will see, Republic of Ireland has increased very little over a year.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevmac YTY wrote:
BTW Subaru are charging €635 for the 2006 DVD!

Wow, you could buy a complete sat nav system for that amount. :x
kevmac YTY
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve101, that is a gem of a find.

I have been looking for that type of info for years.

Why don't NavTeq have that on their site?

And how did you find it?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: