Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Streetpilot i3 - v8 Map Update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Streetpilot i3 - v8 Map Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is completely different to what I was told by Garmin's Tecnical Support Department only yesterday... and I have the email to prove it... and to what at least one other enquirer has also been told.

It does seem that different sections seem to be giving different replies; Sales say one thing, Technical Support seem to agree, but a Product Support Associate (?) says something different!

Although you were advised that v 8 has not yet been released, how come some folks have purchasd units which already have it installed?

I think that all we can do is to wait for an official announcement from Garmin (on their website), and then to quote what we have been informed earlier, which is that ALL purchasers will receive a FREE update to Version 8.

Surely if one of their official representatives has made such a categoric statement in an email, then the Company will be obliged to honour it, although they may well look at each case individually, as it does seem to be a a bit 'pot luck' at the moment as to what reply will be given to such an enquiry.
gonor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wish the hell hole that is priory park development in swindon was listed. Ruddy rabbit warren around there it is. Evil or Very Mad
LT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to the forum but have noticed this Version 7 and 8 debate.

I bought my i3 on 30/10/05 from Halfords in Lancaster, and it had City Select Europe version 7 installed. There was no CD in the box.

Upon reading reviews, I was under the impression that only the UK was included, so I was pleasantly surprised when I saw France, Belgium and more included.

However, the people claiming that version 8 was included seem to say that it's City Navigator Europe version 8 rather than City Select Europe version 8.

Is it possible that City select Europe version 7 is the same as City navigator Europe version 8? Looking at the times of release of the version 7s of each on the Garmin website, the V8 for navigator seems to have come out after City select. Maybe version 8 just brought it up to date with City select?

I'm sure those who are more familiar with such things will put me right, but it was just a (perhaps naive) thought.

Should I take my i3 back to Halfords for a V8 one? If they have one? And on what basis?
Jaz666
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've mentioned before, Garmin are now fazing out City Select in favour of the superior City Navigator.

This is the first time Garmin have released an update for a product that doesn't simply use CDs for the upgrade, which is probably why the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.
andyc111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are all going round in circles here 8O as mentioned earlier I think we should sit tight now and wait for the garmin web site to be updated. When we know for sure that the V8 update is out there, we can get onto Garmins case. Also I did PM MikeB yesterday and he advised that he was going to speak to garmin to try and find out a final answer.
scrooge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: streetpilot i3 v8 navigator installed NOW Reply with quote

just bought my streetpilot i3 as a result of reading this forum and I'm well pleased with it. It wipes the floor with the factory installed gear I used in my avensis and at £169.99 form PC World ( instore price not just on-line price ) it's worth every penny as an entry level satnav system.I see there is some confusion as to which mapping version is installed .I can confirm that navigator v8 is definitely installed DEPENDING on where you buy it though it is easy to check before you buy.

On the bottom of the box at right angles to the barcode you will see v8 and in the left hand corner on the bottom you will see Rev.A as opposed to Rev B which is on the v7 models.

so it's easy v8 and Rev.A

Hope this helps
scrooge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: streetpilot i3 v8 navigator installed NOW Reply with quote

scrooge wrote:
just bought my streetpilot i3 as a result of reading this forum and I'm well pleased with it. It wipes the floor with the factory installed gear I used in my avensis and at £169.99 form PC World ( instore price not just on-line price ) it's worth every penny as an entry level satnav system.I see there is some confusion as to which mapping version is installed .I can confirm that navigator v8 is definitely installed DEPENDING on where you buy it though it is easy to check before you buy.

On the bottom of the box at right angles to the barcode you will see v8 and in the left hand corner on the bottom you will see Rev.A as opposed to Rev B which is on the v7 models.

so it's easy v8 and Rev.A

Hope this helps

ps I meant to add I bought mine in Derby PC World
gonor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have V8 and it still doesnt list the new devolements in Swinon aka Priory Vale.
That said, there are no maps available from multimap, google maps and my firms mapping software doesnt show it either.

Have found you cant beat either a copper or a postie for directions.
Faythur
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Faythur wrote:
Also includes the USB driver disc now which the earlier one didn't - not that it's needed for WinXP.

it is actually ;)

:o Sorry, didn't intend to mislead. Embarassed

It's just that I was able to update my previous one [both firmware and POI] without the driver disk [wasn't supplied with my earlier one] on my WinXP PC.

Perhaps these drivers were included in the Updater software?

However, having just checked the disc itself [marked version 4], yes, it does indeed mention for WinXP.

Puzzling??????
JeffG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gonor wrote:

Though mounting one of these on your windscreen is a bit problematical.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffG wrote:
gonor wrote:

hehehe.....
gonor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
JeffG wrote:
gonor wrote:

hehehe.....

the hard part is making sure they can still give directions once you have one through the windscreen :D
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: v8 Reply with quote

Dan_Gleebitz wrote:
Hello to all. Just purchased an i3 from PC World £169.99.
Have now found this site, and can confirm that it does come with v8, as stated by other buyers.
This is my first sat nav purchase, and I am very impressed with it. :D

welcome to the forum and well done that you have the v8 mapping...
mentm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: question Reply with quote

Ok I have a question, when and if an update is available, is it likely it would be via a download, cd or would we have to send the card to Garmin. Bearing in mind these map and cards cost £100 or so to replace??
JeffG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: question Reply with quote

mentm wrote:
Ok I have a question, when and if an update is available, is it likely it would be via a download, cd or would we have to send the card to Garmin. Bearing in mind these map and cards cost £100 or so to replace??

I read in another post that you will need to send your existing card to Garmin for updating.

Jeff.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: