Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Streetpilot i3 - v8 Map Update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Streetpilot i3 - v8 Map Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sacd wrote:
Don't bother woth waas, stick with GPS on, as it is more accurate.

Well the reverse of that should be true - however, there may be limited coverage for EGNOS signal so it may be more problematic for some than merely setting it to GPS.
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyc111 wrote:
Simple answer really to you all, email Garmin directly and hopefully you will all get the same response that I received. However I think if they are saying to me that I would get a free upgrade then you would presume that everybody would be getting one.

Hi,

My thoughts entirely... which is exactly what I have just done. I received a very prompt reply from a technical support associate advising me that ALL (my capitals) i3 customers will be entitled to a free upgrade to v8 but that this mapping will not be out unitl the end of this month, approximately.

If anyone is still holding off buying one for this reason alone, hopefully this will be of some encouragement to them.

I am sure that not all companies would have acted in this manner, and I think that Garmin are to congratulated on their responsible approach.... we hear the 'hard luck mate' attitude all too often these days, and it gives me a certain amount of confidence in buying from a company such as Garmin.
andyc111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree, it makes a refreshing change.
steveapp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Further Price Reduction Reply with quote

In PC World (Durham at least) its now only £169 - £30 less than a few days ago, and surprisingly £30 less than Currys next door.

Not off topic, this sort of thing usually means there is an upgraded product in the offing, perhaps the V8 map version.

I got mine yesterday (1st) Nov and interestingly it had the voice options at startup, but only (sob sob) version 7 maps - which might indicate old stock to be cleared before the V8 comes out.

Not that im complaining, it seems more up to date than my PDA version of Tom Tom 5 im about to dump.

Stephen
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
sacd wrote:

Well the reverse of that should be true - however, there may be limited coverage for EGNOS signal so it may be more problematic for some than merely setting it to GPS.

WAAS or SBAS is just corrected GPS. If you are not receiving a WAAS fix then it automatically "falls back" to normal GPS.So there should not be any problems introduced by using WAAS.

For automotive navigation applications it is arguable if WAAS is useful anyway. An error of 10M is not particularly significant whilst driving.
Faythur
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading a bit on these forums over the last few days as I bought an i3 from my local Halfords on 22 Oct [a present for my birthday from my wife Wink ]

Anyway I had been following this version 7/8 map debacle and decided to ring Garmin myself this morning to get the low down.

Basically got no straight answer and even though I advised that v8 was already shipping with existing stock, I was told that it wouldn't be out for a good while yet! Rolling Eyes

Decided there and then to take mine [mainly unused] back to Halfords for either a v8 mapped one or a refund, so that I could seek one elsewhere. Was ready for a bit of argy bargy but the guy was as nice as ninepence and went to check the stockroom.

He brought me out a new v8 mapped one and advised that all their stock was v8 and was quite surprised to see that my v7 was the only one from their store. The luck of the draw I suppose.

Anyway, my main reason for posting is to say that it now says v8 beside the barcode on the bottom of the box and also Rev. A adjacent to another number in the same area which was not present on my v7 version. Also includes the USB driver disc now which the earlier one didn't - not that it's needed for WinXP.

Definitely a load of POI's which were not present with the old maps [especially here in N Ireland] so I am now quite pleased with myself. :P

I had already updated the other one to firmware 2.60 [it had shipped with 2.40 as has the new one] and the speed camera POI but think I will leave things for a few weeks to see if these regular firmwares settle before installing any further updates.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:
sacd wrote:

WAAS or SBAS is just corrected GPS. If you are not receiving a WAAS fix then it automatically "falls back" to normal GPS.So there should not be any problems introduced by using WAAS.

For automotive navigation applications it is arguable if WAAS is useful anyway. An error of 10M is not particularly significant whilst driving.

S'funny you should mention that - when I was running v2.50 the option was just WAAS.

I tried it, part way through a journey, when stopped at motorway services. It didn't seem to want to acquire, and just failed back to GPS off. I had to get my wife to change the GPS settings to GPS, and everything was spiffing again.

Now on v2.70 with the option being WAAS / EGNOS I tried it driving home last night and it worked flawlessly - and this would have been at some point in the same area of the motorway that I was driving in with the previous attempt.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:

S'funny you should mention that - when I was running v2.50 the option was just WAAS.

I tried it, part way through a journey, when stopped at motorway services. It didn't seem to want to acquire, and just failed back to GPS off. I had to get my wife to change the GPS settings to GPS, and everything was spiffing again.

Now on v2.70 with the option being WAAS / EGNOS I tried it driving home last night and it worked flawlessly - and this would have been at some point in the same area of the motorway that I was driving in with the previous attempt.

WAAS,SBAS and EGNOS are excactly the same thing. Maybe they have tweeeked some code, or maybe there was an atmospheric anomoly the night that it failed. I have seen this happen a few times with other GPS devices. When you reset them they work again. Possibly something in the chipset getting into a loop under some wierd condition.
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faythur wrote:
Anyway, my main reason for posting is to say that it now says v8 beside the barcode on the bottom of the box and also Rev. A adjacent to another number in the same area which was not present on my v7 version
Hi,

That's interesting... I wonder if the 'Rev. A' indicates that there has been some sort of update or modification to the internal hardware components. Not something it would be that easy to confirm , I wouldn't have thought... any ideas anyone?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faythur wrote:
Also includes the USB driver disc now which the earlier one didn't - not that it's needed for WinXP.

it is actually ;)
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:

WAAS,SBAS and EGNOS are excactly the same thing. Maybe they have tweeeked some code, or maybe there was an atmospheric anomoly the night that it failed. I have seen this happen a few times with other GPS devices. When you reset them they work again. Possibly something in the chipset getting into a loop under some wierd condition.

Well all I meant to point out that since firmware 2.70, the option is now stated as WAAS / EGNOS, rather than being just WAAS at least in 2.50 of the firmware.

And using 2.5 it wouldn't acquire for me - and at the time it was around lunchtime and the weather was bright and sunny.
pauljmuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm - sorry folks - below is my response from Garmin when I emailed them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Morning,

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

In regard to your email, mapping updates are usually released every 12
months around the end of the year. There have been no announcements when/if
City Select Europe v.8 will be released and there is no cut-off date
announced.

Therefore I cannot tell you if you were to purchase the software today, that
you would be entitled to a free update. There is usually a month period for
the cut-off date, where-by if you purchase within a month of the update
being released, you would be entitled to a free update.

We do not even have a rough estimate of when any updates will be released
for City Select Europe and will not until such an announcement is published
on the Garmin website.

If you have any further questions please let me know.

> Regards,
> Luke R
> Product Support Associate
> Garmin (Europe) Ltd

DSL - Don't Say Leonard
JonA
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly the response I posted earlier in this thread from Luke R.

I quizzed him by email - and noted this forum - but he stated in a previous email that what is posted here is 'hear-say'.

I think that Garmin are playing games - some have got a response that the maps will be available to all. Some (like you and me) have got this response.

None are official announcements to all users.

When you contact Customer Support you don't know who will respond, and the message is different every time. Conflicting cut off dates .... emails that say all will get it .... emails that say they don't know.
Mr_Gonzales
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone wonder if all these people at Garmin know what the others are saying?

There seem to be a lot of conflicting email responses from Garmin saying different things regarding when/if v8 is out and who does/does not get free updates... and then there are the i3's out there that people have with "v8" displaying on the software/GPS unit.

Guess we just have to sit and wait a bit longer until they announce it on their site - I think the definitive answer will come then.

Out of interest has anyone here actually got stuck/lost due to the V7 maps being out of date??
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pauljmuk wrote:
hmmm - sorry folks - below is my response from Garmin when I emailed them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Morning,

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

In regard to your email, mapping updates are usually released every 12
months around the end of the year. There have been no announcements when/if
City Select Europe v.8 will be released and there is no cut-off date
announced.

Therefore I cannot tell you if you were to purchase the software today, that
you would be entitled to a free update. There is usually a month period for
the cut-off date, where-by if you purchase within a month of the update
being released, you would be entitled to a free update.

We do not even have a rough estimate of when any updates will be released
for City Select Europe and will not until such an announcement is published
on the Garmin website.

If you have any further questions please let me know.

> Regards,
> Luke R
> Product Support Associate
> Garmin (Europe) Ltd

Which is a bit troubling, really, 'cos we know that some i3s are being sold with v8 maps on. Now basing my thinking on never ascribe to malice, what could be explained as incompetence - best case scenario, they are clueless as to the facts, worse case scenario, they are deliberately obfuscating for their own benefit.

Neither are particularly encouraging scenarios.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: