Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GR-213 TTFF
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GR-213 TTFF
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JM-HoluxUK wrote:
Hi,
Can I have some more information from those of you that are having problems with the GR213 please & maybe those that aren't would be helpful too.

What navigation software are you using, eg. TomTom Navigator?
Is your PDA in a powered mount?
Is your receiver powered by having it hardwired or from cigarette adapter?

There does appear to be an issue with certain software forcing the GR213 to do a cold start if it doesn't have a valid fix. Doing a cold start whilst the vehicle is in motion is going to lengthen the time to gain a lock.

Look forward to receiving your comments.
Thanks,
Julie

You can find my information in the signature. The fix problems occurs even without any navigation software running. I always make sure I have fix (I check this in VisualGPSce) before I launch my navigation program.

Regards,

Ulf
Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (SW ver. 3.70)
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uffe73 wrote:

I'd suggest you send an email to Holux support with your serial number and ask if your unit has V5 or V6 firmware. That's what I'll do.

I have the latest firmware - I have checked.
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JM-HoluxUK wrote:
Hi,
Can I have some more information from those of you that are having problems with the GR213 please & maybe those that aren't would be helpful too.

There does appear to be an issue with certain software forcing the GR213 to do a cold start if it doesn't have a valid fix. Doing a cold start whilst the vehicle is in motion is going to lengthen the time to gain a lock.

Thanks,
Julie

Hi Julie

here we go:
Seidio ignition powered cradle, G2100S, powering GR-213 (latest firmware) & Treo 650.
Tom Tom Navigator 5.12.
problems as discussed with Graham earlier today are:
If I turn on the ignition and Tom Tom on the treo too soon it can take 30+ minutes to get a fix. If I leave it for 2-3 minutes then I get a fix every time.
When I stop for petrol or at a service station etc - i.e. short stop with ignition turned off, and don't follow the above starting procedure again, it will take 30+ minutes to regain a fix.
My GR-213 is fitted behind my glovebox under the dashboard, so I can't see when the orange light is flashing.
Regards Mike
JM-HoluxUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
It looks as if TomTom is forcing a cold start on the receiver if it doesn't see a valid GPS fix. We've not fully tested this at the moment but beleive this to be the case.
Where did you get the seidio mount adapter cable from for the GR213?
Regards,
Julie
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JM-HoluxUK wrote:
Hi Mike,
It looks as if TomTom is forcing a cold start on the receiver if it doesn't see a valid GPS fix. We've not fully tested this at the moment but beleive this to be the case.
Where did you get the seidio mount adapter cable from for the GR213?
Regards,
Julie

Hi Julie

I bought the GR213 and the RJ11 cable from you direct. I'll pm you with the invoice number
Trigger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: 213 Reply with quote

JM-HoluxUK wrote:
Hi,

What navigation software are you using, eg. TomTom Navigator 5

Thanks,
Julie

Hi Julie

here we go:
I use a XDA 2 s with XDA mount
Use Tom Tom Navigator
Power from lighter

I am now mon my third 213 all have packed up after 3 weeks GPS FOR LESS must be getting fed of seeing me Graig has been great my new system sereial number is 213-53600812. fault on the last system are as previous reported:

1 Works well for few weeks then slow to connect
2 Losses GPS then finds then loses
3 Has you ploughing through fields
4 Losses single in rain
5 When engine is switched off on then come back can take up to 10 mins to get single and once took over 20 miles.
6 Take ages to conect in dark

Have not tried new one yet as I need to find out what firmware is on it
I do hope trhat this will be okay but not going to hold breath as I sent a e mail to [/b]HoluxUK[b] three days ago still waiting Embarassed
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new receiver arrived today and it had the same faulty firmware as the previous one. What the dealer did was simply to send me a new unit from the same batch as as the first one (only with a serial number that was 8 numbers higher). When I connected it to my PDA in the car, straight out-of-the-box, I couldn't track any satellites at all (not even un-fixed) . I had to go back inside, connect it to the PC and run Synchronize Protocol & Baud Rate in SiRFDemo in order to kick it alive. The exact same symptoms as I had with my old one on several occasions.

The serial number of my new unit is 213-52600428. According to Holux the firmware is version V5 and would need an upgrade to V6.

Unfortunately the service mindness of my dealer isn't as good as GPSForLess'. They have constantly been ignoring my emails and have been giving avoiding answers over the phone.

Regards,
Ulf
Trigger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: oops Reply with quote

Quote:
uffe73
The serial number of my new unit is 213-52600428.

The last one I sent back was 213 527000707 which was a higher number than yours. am watining to see what Holoux say about firmware. I can hrecommend GPS FOR LESS good people
maljay48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JM-HoluxUK wrote:
Hi,

Thanks,
Julie

Hi Julie

I am now waiting for my 3rd GR-213.

The first one worked fine for a couple of weeks but then the TTFF started to get longer and longer until on my journey to work (45-50 mind) it wouldn't get a fix at all. I could only get it to work by giving it a cold start using Winfast Navigator but eventually even that wouldn't work. I returned it to GPS for Less and got a replacement which again worked fine at first, but after 4 or 5 days the same happened but it quickly got to the point where it wouldn't fix at all, even with a cold start. The strange thing was that the day before I sent it back, the LED started to flash, indicating a fix, but none of the GPS software I use could get any data (Winfast Navigator, GPSView and Co-Pilot Live V5).

I have now returned this one to GPS for Less for a replacement.

My kit is HP Ipaq hx 4700, Seido 2500 cradle (Cigar lighter powered) and Co-Pilot Live V5 with latest patches.

GPS for Less have been absolutely brilliant during this time, without doubt, the best customer support of any Web based company that I have used bar none. I e-mailed their support address at 08.20 one morning and got a reply less than 10 minutes later!!! If you are reading this Craig, please take a bow.

Cheers

Mal J.

MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for what its worth guys, my s/n is 213-52700673 & it has the latest firmware according to Holux.
omaruk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the same problem was very fast to begin with now takes ages. I have not 'fiddled' with my receiver either.
JM-HoluxUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks to everyone that has posted extra information.
We have received a couple of GR213's back from Craig and these are now being tested.

Is there anyone out there that has got a PDA mount that is permanently powered with the GR213 attached? Are you seeing the same problem?

I have corporate customers that use the GR213 with TomTom software that do not see this problem. The difference is they use hardwired car kits that are permanently powered. They will be stopping and starting the vehicle continously in the line of business but do not have the TTFF issues.

Regards,
Julie
madmike31
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Another GR-213 Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only ones to have problems ...

I use a Tomtom car cradle, a RJ11/PS2 cable, and the latest Tomtom V5 on a Dell X30.

The holux worked for 1 week, now led is always on, and TTTF never finish.

Now I use my old tomtom GPS mouse Smile and GR-213 will finish in my bin...

I wrote to Holux, they told me i've got the latest firmware.
Holux support is very light and they know that a lof of gr-213 users are disapointed. This gps mouse is a buggy device
I will buy a Globalsat BT338, or may be a newer Holux firmware will be the solution one day ?

Madmike (French User)
tigerjeni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: GR-213 TROUBLES Reply with quote

I am glad to finally find this site, after a week of frustration thinking there was maybe a problem with my laptop.
Have similar problems with the usb gr-213. Worked wonderfully well for the first week obtaining a fix from a cold start in under 60 secs. Progessively over the last couple of weeks it became slower starting up and was losing its signal (needed to reboot when this occurred). In the last couple of days it has got much worse. I now shows incorrect locations (ie ploughing fields somewhere far from actual location)also shows moving car when is stationary. It is to the point now that it is basically useless.
Will keep an eye on this forum to see if any solutions are found.

Using Microsoft street and trips and 1.3 ghz laptop.

Thanks
johnmar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JM-HoluxUK wrote:

Hi Julie

I thought I would, at the risk of repeating my earlier comments/findings, post an update.

Firstly, my unit is powered via the cig lighter.

My replacement is currently working well, but I strongly believe it is only because I try to avoid the circumstances which seem to cause the difficulties. Mainly this is to ensure that a fix has been obtained prior to connecting to TTN5. With a hard wired (permanently powered setup) this would not be an issue since there would always be a fix, indoor carparks etc excepted.

The problem is not just with TomTom. As previously posted, I experimented with GPSViewer only i.e. without TTN5 and found that I had TTFF problems. My limited conclusions were that once a fix was being obtained with ANY 'software assistance' there would be problems in obtaining subsequent acceptable TTFF's. This indicated to me that there MIGHT be some vestigial data being retained in the receiver's memory which was getting in the way of obtaining a fix.

If you care to read or possibly re-read one of my earlier postings, You will see that I was able to use GPSViewer to Cold Start the unit (ALWAYS WHEN STATIONARY), and all was fine, as long as I closed down and exited the utility following a strict sequence of actions.

So far this has worked for me.

Hope this helps.

Regards

iPAQ3830 (32MB) PPC2002 ROM 1.20
CF Expansion Pack
Holux GR-213 GPS Mouse (GSW3.1.1 -3.1.00.07 C23B1.00)
Kingston Elite Pro 1 GB CF Card for maps
Viking 512MB SD Card (not used for navigating)
TTNav 5.210 (5430) Maps of W Europe

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: