Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Please please please please help...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Please please please please help...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunlord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Please please please please help... Reply with quote

Hi. I'm very new to GPS navigation. I only got CoPilot 5 today. I would like a few questions answered:

I didn't have any problems with the activation. It was fine. What that really bothers me is the GPS connection.

First of all, it says on the manual that the reciever should have a clear view of the sky. Does that mean that everytime I want to go somewhere, I have to put the reciever on top of my car? Or is it just for the first time only?

I tried testing my GPS today and I planned a route to a nearby place and tapped 'Start driving', while keeping the reciever inside the car. But everytime it finds '4 or 5 satellites' and proceeds to 'download position data', it looses all the satellite connection and goes back to 'detecting GPS signal.' On the rare occasions that it did manage to get past the 'download position data' stage, it would suddenly lose signal, and start from 'detecting GPS signal.'

What am I doing wrong here? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your car may have a coated (metallised) windscreen which is greatly reducing the GPS reception abilities. Can you place the receiver somewhere else, for example on the back shelf?

Only receivers with the new SiRF III chipset can be placed deep inside the car and still yield acceptable performance, all others really need an unobstructed view to the southern sky.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
lynnk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the CoPilot sleeve on my Ipaq with the antenna on the sleeve and it sits inside the car on a windshield mount and I have never had a problem .. finds satellites fine and I don't ever recall losing a track. Try it sitting still and the antenna outside the car to see if it can maintain a track without anything else happening. If it can't then you've got some setup problem or cable problem.
8O
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its a fisrt fix then leave the gps on while still ie not driving one you have a good fix then try planning a route and drive round first fixes are usually 20 -45 mins sometimes i have known longer.
hot fixes usually take around 15 second to minute max just remember that if you only use the unit once or twice a month then each time you start the gps you will be doing a cold start

also would please update your profile to let us know where in the world you are pls as it does help us answer questions as sometimes software is different in the eu to that sold in other parts of the world

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
sunlord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't understand is - the only way you can get an unobstructed view of the sky is if you put the reciever on top of the car. How exactly do you do that? If I leave it on top of the car the whole day, it might/will get stolen. And it's not really any good if it means that everytime I have to go somewhere I have to place my reciever at the top of the car and hope it doesn't fall.

Is it, perhaps, possible to somehow connect my GPS to the car antenna?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what type of antena do you have ie bluetooth wired etc

device Lumia 950 xl
sunlord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an antenna for my GPS reciever. It just looks like this:

sunlord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean the car antenna, then I have no idea if it's bluetooth or not. All I know is there's a big steel thing coming out of the back of my car!

I just wondered maybe if there's some socket for the car antenna to which I can connect my reciever to.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right you have a bluetooth gps one dash board should be fine but you put it in the car and and leave it there for around 30 mins then start up copilot and see if you get a lock if not then put the gps out side the car and see if you get a better signal if you do then you have an athermic of heat reflective windscreen and will need to mount the gps behind the rear veiw mirror on on the bank shelf of the car do all this while at a stand still NOT driving round

device Lumia 950 xl
lynnk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a fully unobstructed view of the sky ... I know my unit can only see that portion that is in front of it since it sits on the dash and the top of the windshield would block the back part of the sky. Since your receiver is Bluetooth, you can set it outside of your car for a short while to see if your windshield is somehow blocking the signal .... what type of car? Even on a cold start up, I've never had to wait more than a few minutes to get a good lock. Most startups take only 30 seconds or so to get locked.
sunlord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm just going to try now. Will come back with the results.

Thanks a lot.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the back window too. If everything else fails you can connect your receiver to an external antenna (with MCX connector) but not to your existing car antenna.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
sunlord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. After some intense testing, I've got some intersting results.

The main problem signal problem seems to be solved now, however there is only one minor thing with the reciever that's still bothering me:

I did as lynnk and alix suggested, and placed the reciever at the top of the car while standing still. It worked perfect and recieved about 7-8 signals in 30 secs, I even tried putting the reciever inside the car, near the dashboard and it didn't lose any signal. But, just as I thought everything seems to be working fine, the green light on the reciever went off, and the reciever itself switched off automatically. I tried resetting the reciever and the green switch was back on, but it looked for the satellites all over again.

I repeated Step one, and placed the reciever on top of my car, but again, after 2-3 mins, the reciever went off and I had to reset it to turn it back on. I don't know what's wrong with that. I tried charging it for 15-20 mins, but still the same problem.

One thing though, when I mean the reciever switched off, I mean the blue 'bluetooth' light was still on, but the green light (the middle one, see image on top) was off.

Any ideas?
sunlord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, when the green light goes off, it loses the GPS connection with the PDA, so I have to reset it and it looks for satellites for all over again. Although it manages to find the signal in under 30 secs, it's a pain in the buttocks having to reset the reciever once every 2 mins. [/b]
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8O

Hi Sunlord

Welcome to CP5. I know this sounds harsh but I'm known for my lack of tact. You surely cannot be serious as to think any company/person would want you to place the receiver on top of the car so as to get a clear, unobstucted veiw of the sky, get a grip, this is dash mount equipment, at a push you could get an external aerial but it just is not necessary.

The first fix might take ages but if it's set up correctly, and you don't have a strange car it should work fine.

I know this is not very helpful but it's late and i just couldn't believe your post.

I'll try and be more helpful in future.

GB

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: