Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Brodit clip- can it be drilled?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Brodit clip- can it be drilled?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
delboy102
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Brodit clip- can it be drilled? Reply with quote

I just received my brodit clip, I'v got a swivel mount ( http://www.gpsforless.co.uk/product_details.php?id=1371 ) I want to attach to it so I thought i'd use nut and bolts, the holes are not big enough so i'll have to drill the mount as well as the brodit clip.

I'm worried about the plastic splitting, Any tips will be appreciated! Smile
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Brodit clip- can it be drilled? Reply with quote

delboy102 wrote:
I just received my brodit clip, I'v got a swivel mount ( http://www.gpsforless.co.uk/product_details.php?id=1371 ) I want to attach to it so I thought i'd use nut and bolts, the holes are not big enough so i'll have to drill the mount as well as the brodit clip.

I'm worried about the plastic splitting, Any tips will be appreciated! Smile

Hello DelBoy - Howz it goin'?

If you have to drill, then I strongly reccomend that you use a hand drill not an electric one. That will give you more control. Don't oress the drill into the workpiece with much pressure usually just the weight of the drill will be enough.

Set the unit in a vice (with protection on the vice jaws) or get someone to hold the work piece firmly.

Also, drill a pilot hole much smaller than the hole you need - again, that will help to keep control of wher the hole is accurately drilled. Once you are happy with the accuracy of the pilot hole, drill to size.

If possible drill through the thicker parts of the unit.

Again, if possible/practical, find a bit of plastic (Tupper box/old Icecream container etc) and cut out a chunk to make a reinforcing patch/washer.

All the best
delboy102
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heya donald!, nice to see you again.
my drill had adjustable speeds so what I did was select the slowest setting, turned out brilliant.
I fitted the proclip onto the middle of my car (on the vents) and then I'v fitted the swivel mount onto the proclip with nuts and bolts, 2 to be exact.
then I had to sand down the sides of the swivel mount because it didnt slide into the slot on the back of the arkon powered mount.

now whenever I go out I just slide the arkon unit onto the swivel mount and i'm ready to go, looks much better then the sunction mount plus its much quicker too, whenever I leave the car I put the arkon mount into my glove compartment.

heres a pic of what it looks like:

heres what it looks like when the mount is on it:

PS do you reckon that my car might look like I have GPS because of the mount? (I leave the arkon holder in the glove compartment, its only the proclip+swivel that stays visible in car)
if so I might consider adding an alarm to my car.
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delboy102 wrote:

heres a pic of what it looks like:

heres what it looks like when the mount is on it:

PS do you reckon that my car might look like I have GPS because of the mount? (I leave the arkon holder in the glove compartment, its only the proclip+swivel that stays visible in car)
if so I might consider adding an alarm to my car.

Personally, I think it is obvious that the kit has been removed if it is just the holder... Take a look in many cars nowadays - you will see empty holders...

cheers

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: