Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Navigator 2 and IPAQ 3950
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Navigator 2 and IPAQ 3950

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Tomtom Navigator 2 and IPAQ 3950 Reply with quote

Perhaps you should have pics of all the staff on view to avoid impersonations in future? A sort of rogues gallery?        Buffy :0)
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Tomtom Navigator 2 and IPAQ 3950 Reply with quote

I am not too sure that that would be a good idea. Do you really want to see what we look like?

I know some of you met us at the summit, and there are some photos of us scattered discreetly about the site, but...

OK then here is a oicture of the team at PocketGPS.

Dave
Frequent Visitor

Hey that photo did come out kind of okay after all. And you thought it was going to make us look bad ? . I did think we should have left our shirts on though!
Francois
Occasional Visitor

I have recently bought a 256MB SD card that I had installed into the IPAQ 3950 and downloaded the whole Tomtom French map into the SD card (takes up 215 MB). The GPS system works great but there is a problem with processing information : the system seems to stall (at least it takes forever) when I type in the place of origin and destination. The system seems to crash or unable to process the command. I have to wait for minutes for it to react. I'm not sure if I have explained myself correctly but if anyone knows what I'm talking about, I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Second issue : My IPAQ seems to take forever as well to delete programs that I have installed (whether in the SD card or in the hard drive). The windows explorer stalls and I have to reset the IPAQ each time in order to successfully delete the files. I don't think it's normal. Anyone also had this experience?

Thank you.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

City/town and street lookups are very slow in TomTom Navigator 2 and we have discussed this in the past. Searching a lot of data for a fuzzy match, which is what Navigator 2 does, places high demands on both processor power and memory bandwidth. Whilst modern Pocket PCs are good, they have their limits.

In version 2.22 (the latest is 2.24), TomTom introduced a feature that remembers the last few lookups. I find this helps tremendously. I wholeheartedly recommend upgrading to version 2.24 and GPS driver 2.06 - though from your post in another thread you appear already to have done this.

There is a specific issue that affects SD memory cards on the 3900 series iPAQs. The x.1x Pocket PC 2002 ROMs (that's ROM 1.10 and 1.11 on the 3950, and ROM 2.10 on the 3970) have SD drivers that make SD memory operate rather slowly.

If you have ROM 1.10 on your 3950, I strongly suggest you move to another version. 1.10 has a flaw that usually prevents the processor from going faster then 300MHz. If you really don't want to change ROM version, install the patch that works around this from the HP web site. This issue did not affect the 3970.

I suspect (but haven't yet had a chance to check, because I haven't yet got my hands on an upgrade kit for my 3970) that the Pocket PC 2003 ROMs will fix this problem. However, for now, in the absence of Pocket PC 2003 upgrade availability, the only way for you to get rid of the slow SD drivers is to downgrade your iPAQ to the 1.00 ROM, which you should be able to download here (make sure you select the language version that matches that in your iPAQ - if you have a French iPAQ, you must choose the French version).

If you choose to downgrade the ROM, you must hard reset the iPAQ (which wipes it clean) and you must not restore any backup - whether it is made with ActiveSync, iPAQ Backup or another backup utility. You have to delete your partnership, create a new one, and reinstall all your software when changing between x.00 and x.1x ROMs. Obviously you need to make sure you have a copy of all your data files ready to reinstall to your iPAQ when doing this.

A further issue is that some SD cards are slow. Sandisk cards (and rebadges thereof - many other brands of SD card are actually relabelled Sandisk) can be very slow - I have heard reports of them sometimes being as much as ten times slower than other cards under some circumstances though I'd think in normal operation the difference won't be anything like that extreme. Sandisk cards are recognised by a batch number on the back of the card that consists of two letters, four numbers and two letters - such as AR0304LR.

Keeping your SD card defragmented helps tremendously. There's various ways around this. One way is to put the card in a SD card reader and use the defragmentation tool in Windows XP (I believe Windows 2000 should work as well).

Another alternative is to use Softwinter's StorageTools - though that can be very slow to complete defragmentation under some circumstances.

If you have neither of these options available but have some way of formatting the card, if you format the card then load the map data on first, the map data should not be fragmented in any way.

Finally - speed of deletion. Don't expect the same performance from your Pocket PC as you expect from your desktop machine. File operations, particularly on filesystems other than the internal RAM, are slow (writes to the iPAQ File Store particularly so). Deleting a 38MB backup file from my SD card takes a couple of seconds.

Do not reset the iPAQ during a deletion or any operation that writes to file systems unless it really does look as if it has crashed (I'd be inclined to leave it a minute or more to be sure). Resetting before a deletion or similar file operation is OK - but not during.

If you reset during an apparently stalled file operation, you could land up with the kind of damage that scandisk repairs on your desktop machine. The only snag is that there isn't a scandisk for the Pocket PC! StorageTools provides scandisk like functions for your storage cards - but they are not available for the iPAQ File Store or internal memory.

Reformatting the iPAQ File Store is a particular nuisance - indeed, there is no official way to do it other than to return the iPAQ to HP under warranty.

I hope this helps - and draws together information I've posted in the past in one comprehensive reply.

David
Francois
Occasional Visitor

Dear David,

I just wanted to congratulate you on having set up a very efficient and informative GPS forum which attracts people who are serious.

I really appreciate your useful and prompt comments. Thank you very much.

Dave
Frequent Visitor

Laughing Out Loud, I think you have the wrong Dave, but you're welcome!
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

And - from the David who replied (who is not the Dave who runs the forum) - you're welcome too

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Laughing Out Loud! I get it all the time. For some reason after talking to several manufacturers, apparently I turned up at CeBit and introduced myself to them, but it wasn't me as I wasn't there.
genghisackroyd
Occasional Visitor

FYI Pocket PC 2003 upgrade looks like it will be coming in August

(Information is at : http://www.hp.com/sbso/special/ppc_upgrade.html)

although no sign of a ROM upgrade (if they're different!) and even less sign of an improvement on the SD speeds.

If your interested you can buy the upgrade for $30 at

'http://h71016.www7.hp.com/sp_main.asp?oi=E9CED&BEID=19701&SBLID=&hp_url=searchresults.asp?store_id=8&search_id=71&dept_id=1084&dsc=pocket+pc+upgrades'

Apologies for the URL length but I don't know how to get just the title only to display.

PDA Current: iPAQ hx4700 + Co-Pilot Live/TomTom 2, 3 & 5 + Fortuna Clip-On + 512Mb Ultra ii SD + 256Mb SD + Brodit Active Mount

PDA History: iPAQs (2210 <-- 3970) <-- Palms (M515 <-- M505)
genghisackroyd
Occasional Visitor

As a follow-up I just checked the pyurchase link, but if you try to 'add to cart' the response is 'there is nothing in your basket' (or something like)

I also found a UK link at:

'http://h41111.www4.hp.com/ppc2003upgrade/uk/eng/upgrade.html'

but the price has risen to Euro 49 (PLUS VAT and P&P)

I think I'll live with the speed problems at that price.

PDA Current: iPAQ hx4700 + Co-Pilot Live/TomTom 2, 3 & 5 + Fortuna Clip-On + 512Mb Ultra ii SD + 256Mb SD + Brodit Active Mount

PDA History: iPAQs (2210 <-- 3970) <-- Palms (M515 <-- M505)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: