Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mercedes Benz Navigation system
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mercedes Benz Navigation system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pduytengsu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Mercedes Benz Navigation system Reply with quote

I'm currently using a Dell Axim pocket PC with Routis GPS software and I love it so much I can't leave home without it. My wife wants to purchase a Mercedes Benz SUV with navigation system and I was hoping someone in the forum can tell me the performance of the system.
I never had a problem with my Pocket PC, but my wife didn't want me to buy her a pocket PC because she didn't want to have a device that she had to put away everytime she leaves the vehicle, have wires hanging down the dash, had to use a stylus, etc. Smile
gokhart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend has a CLK (2003 model) with built in GPS. Must say it is an excellent system. Maps are supplied on a CD ROM (which I guess can be updated yearly, or for different locations such as Europe.

Contols are very simple to use for address look up, adding favourites. Accuracy is spot on, route calculation is fast (as is rerouting).

If I was getting a new car, I would get this as it saves having a host of wires and bits and pieces around the car.
gokhart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, it's got a big colour screen too, which looks good. You can also have the instructions displayed on the dashboard.
pduytengsu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Gokhart. :D
gokhart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a look at this last night in a bit more details, much to my mates amusement.

The big colour screen is also used to manage things such as radio stations, the CD Player/changer. The GPS does not have any integration with the steering wheel buttons that I noticed, but the CD player, Radio, Telephone bluetooth and a host of other things do integrate with the steering wheel buttons.

Must say, it all looks very nice and neat. I'm sure your wife would appreciate it much better that an IPAQ with mounting kit. Although, I guess you could buy several IPAQs for the price of this kit, but if you can afford it then I'd go for it.

I'm sure the Mercedez Benz guys can arrange a demo for you.
3rdeye
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a very sweet system. sometimes wish i had the money to buy a CLK and get a tracking/nav system free with the car, rather than having to spend £500-£1000 on nav tracking gear :D

3rd Eye
www.3rd-eye.info
glen4cindy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to keep 1 thing in mind when purchasing a vehicle with navigation built in.

I own a Mercedes-Benz G500, 2003. It has a CD-ROM based navigation system. I live in the St. Louis Metro area. I cannot use the system to route me to, say, Fort Lauderdale, FL. This is because you are limited in your destinations to the map information on the current map disc. You have to reference the booklet provided with the discs, which by the way cost nearly $400 for all 10, figure out your basic route, find a city near the end of the map disc, and route to this city.

Then, you have to repeat this process for each map disc that you use on the trip. Once you get to your destination, however, you can leave that disc in and find your way around town.

The system in my wife's Cadillac Escalade is a DVD based navigation system. Since a DVD can hold 9. something Gig of data instead of 800 MB, only 1 disc is required. One simply has to change the region before selecting the destination city.

Just something to think about, before you buy!
steeld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Mercedes SatNav (COMAND) Reply with quote

I have just bought a new Mercedes E320 CDI fitted with COMAND (SatNav). The latest version i.e. the one shipped with the new E-class, uses a DVD instead of a CDROM and I have all of Europe on one DVD in a player installed in the boot. There is also a DVD player on the unit that will allow DVD videos to be played on the colour screen while the vehicle is stationary.

When I collected the car from the factory in Germany, the unit picked up RDS-TMC data and could show traffic congestion on the colour display. I am wondering whether this works in the UK. Anybody know? Classicfm is supposed to transmit RDS-TMC data but I don't know what the technical and commercial constraints are e.g. has MB UK paid Itis Holdings a licence fee to pick up the service in the UK?

I shall make equiries with MB and post the response here.

David
steeld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seems that the COMAND system has all the functionality built in. The only thing that it needs is for MB UK to agree with Itis Holdings to make the RDS-TMC service available in the UK.

David
burdell1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any flash demos or video of the Mercedes system?
diceydave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Merc Command Sat Van system Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a bit new to this site so bear with me please. I've just bought a 2004 C class with the Sat Vav system installed. It seems to be very clever and have good display's but does anyone know if you can load up the safety camera location database into it? By the way it's UK based and seems to have a DVD to show pan European maps but will run without the DVD installed but without the maps.

Thanks,

Dave
AndyR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to say that with the current operating system, it is not possible to add your own points of interest.
gsudhi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Mercedes Command Navigation - adding speed camera info. Reply with quote

Hi,
Is there any software available like the 'POI warner' which could be added to a COMMAND navigation system?
Will copying this and the map on to recordable DVD help to update the system for warning speed cams?
The COMMAND system is good for calculating routes, auto recalculating, and speed of GPS signal acquisition, but I find the system not very user friendly!
AndyR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry there are no options for adding /importing POI.
MK999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: now available Reply with quote

Comand NTG 4.5 available now accepts personal POI`s via the sd card.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: