Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT 5 and BT-77 from Ebay or whatever its called today
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT 5 and BT-77 from Ebay or whatever its called today
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fergyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: TT 5 and BT-77 from Ebay or whatever its called today Reply with quote

Anyone thinking about buying one of these?

Well after much research and deliberation I did and all I can say is i'm impressed.

This is my first BT receiver and i didn't want to spend to much just in case!!

Many people had been talking about over the top claims for the device from certain Ebay sellers related to PDAMODS, so I thought Iwould put this straight.

I bought the unit from ciscoren on ebay

The unit is excactly as explained above, It's about the same size as a swan vester packet. Has a external arial port on the left side and comes with Mains/Car/USB chargers. The battery is nokia type 3.7v 930mah, This size of battery is used in the nokia 6600/6230 but the nokia battery (BL-5C) is 850mah. so replacements a readily available. Battery life seems good, I have had mine switched on now for around 15 hours and no low battery warning as yet.

The unit seems well made and has a rubber antislip surface on the base, two status leds and a power button.

Setting up was easy, I charged it overnight. Switched it on and paired it with my axim x30. I then place the unit on the window sill to obtain a first fix, after about 90 seconds the red led began to flash to indicate a fix

I then configured it in TT 5.1, this can be done in 1 of 2 ways

1. Other Cable Device 9600 com 7 (spp in on x30)
2. Other bluetooth device

I tried option 1 because of the problems I had heard about bluetooth support in TT5 but decided to give option 2 a go after realising TT won't automatically turn on BT with option 1

Both options though saw the BT receiver without any problems

Sensitivity seems good (window sill a steady 9 sats) so I thought I would try it In the Glove box, well 4/5 sats tracked and was able to navigate ok.( but I wouldn't trust it under trees in there)

I think maybe it is worth someone from the PGPS team writing a review of this device as there hundreds being sold everywhere.

If anyone requires a manual I did receive a setup and technical spec inc GPS commands etc manuals on the CD with the unit (some buyers have complained that they had no manual)

Any more info or the manuals please feel free to PM me

Hope this help someone .... Well let me Know

Fergy

:P
ADB100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly the same BT GPS receiver I bought on eBay a couple of months back, and like you I am really impressed. I previously had an iPAQ 5450 and the Navman SE GPS Jacket, both of which I sold on eBay before buying an iPAQ 6365 and the BT GPS receiver. Strangely I actually made a £20 profit on the whole deal.... :D

Compared to my previous setup this is a massive improvement; TTFF times are a few seconds compared to several minutes and possibly a couple of resets. The Navman wouldn't get a fix indoors at all, whereas this one happily gets a fix in about 5-10 seconds sat on the window sill. I haven't tried is set as 'Other Cable Device on com 7' but have it set as 'Other Bluetooth GPS on com 7' and it works like a dream. The battery life is fantastic - I haven't left it for 20-hours but based on what I have seen so far I don't doubt the claim.

There is no manufacturer for the GPS on either the packaging or the unit itself, it just says 'Made in Taiwan', although there appears to be an identical one on eXpansys for slightly more money.

If anyone is considering a BT GPS Receiver then I can whole heartedly recommend this one. Strangely I didn't get a UK Mains charger with mine but since I have the USB charger it is pretty easy to leave on charge through the PC, plus who hasn't got a Nokia charger Question

Andy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That receiver is the Nemerix Chipset BT-77. It's appeared under a dozen or so different names.
voice_of_reason
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

What are the dimensions of this unit? Is it a lot bigger than something like the original TomTom silver wireless GPS unit? I wouldn't mind getting one (for the much improved battery life) but don't want to get it if it's loads bigger than my silver TomTom unit.

Also, how well does the ant-slip base work? With my TomTom unit it's magnetised, so it sticks to the little metal nicely. Does this one have a magnet too? Or is the anti-slip base enough to stop it rolling around the dashboard?

Cheers!
fergyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a look here http://www.gps-manufacture.com/pro_4-1.htm

it's about the same size maybe a little thicker than the TT BT

the non slip pad works well, it sits in the corner of my screen and hasn't moved yet.

I have tested Battery life and it lasted 19 hours

Hope this helps

Fergy

:D
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very similar in overall dimensions to the TomTom although thicker. The rubber base works well and it has a removable battery but it feels very 'cheap' and plasticky and the chipset is not all its claimed to be. Certainly the 16 Channel stuff is just marketing speak and makes little difference.
voice_of_reason
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, cheers for the info. Strange choice to make it black - won't it melt in the sun?!! :D

To be honest I never travel for more than 6 hours in one go (with rest breaks, of course!) so I can probably make do fine with the 6 hour battery life of my TomTom unit.
ADB100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
It's very similar in overall dimensions to the TomTom although thicker. The rubber base works well and it has a removable battery but it feels very 'cheap' and plasticky and the chipset is not all its claimed to be. Certainly the 16 Channel stuff is just marketing speak and makes little difference.

Darren

Compared to my 2 previous Navman Jackets (3000 and 3450 or SE?) this is absolutely fantastic; Fix-times and the accuracy of the position are excellent. A can't say it is really 'cheap looking'; yes it is plastic but it is a nice Matt finish and the rubber underside makes it stay where ever it is placed. I think the only thing that lets it down is the blue Compass Logo on the front. I am sure with a bit of elbow grease though this can be easily removed.

Andy[/i]
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADB100 wrote:
Compared to my 2 previous Navman Jackets (3000 and 3450 or SE?) this is absolutely fantastic; Fix-times and the accuracy of the position are excellent. A can't say it is really 'cheap looking'; yes it is plastic but it is a nice Matt finish and the rubber underside makes it stay where ever it is placed. I think the only thing that lets it down is the blue Compass Logo on the front. I am sure with a bit of elbow grease though this can be easily removed.

My comments wren't meant to insult your purchase. Certainly when compared with the GPS Jackets, current generation receivers are very much better in all respects.

It's a good receiver, just not one of the best, for that you need a SiRFStarIII receiver, reception can often be achieved indoors typical TTFF's are sub 10 with warm starts in 1 sec!
fergyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

Yes i agree it's not the best on the market - but for sheer value for money and battery life i think it deserves a mention or even a review.

If you look around a great many people are buying them and i thought i would comment on my exoerience with the unit.

remember a Sirf III receiver is around £100-120, the BT-77 cost me £50 deivered

All the best

Fergy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fergyuk wrote:
Yes i agree it's not the best on the market - but for sheer value for money and battery life i think it deserves a mention or even a review.

If you look around a great many people are buying them and i thought i would comment on my exoerience with the unit.

remember a Sirf III receiver is around £100-120, the BT-77 cost me £50 deivered.

Fair comment and I have to agree entirely, for £50 it is a very good deal indeed!
ADB100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
ADB100 wrote:

My comments wren't meant to insult your purchase. Certainly when compared with the GPS Jackets, current generation receivers are very much better in all respects.

It's a good receiver, just not one of the best, for that you need a SiRFStarIII receiver, reception can often be achieved indoors typical TTFF's are sub 10 with warm starts in 1 sec!

No insult taken, I just didn't want people to dismiss this BT GPS Receiver because for the money it is excellent value and will suit many peoples requirements.

Andy
waynerp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Hope someone can help me.
i have a BT-77 which i use with an O2 xdaIIi, which worked fine until i had to send the phone away to be repaired. i have got the phone back and am trying to configure the gps with my O2 again and am having problems.
i am using tomtom v.5 and can't remember what port or com to set the gps to, and if i have to change any more settings. at present tomtom says no gps found
hope someone can help
many thanks in advance
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use comport 6 and other wired gps receiver

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
poleaxe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ADB100"]

Have you heard the one about the sugar cube!! sounds daft I know; apparently used to remove orange logo off spv.Thanks to MoDaCo

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: