Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - North America maps in UK
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

North America maps in UK
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dezellis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip superseagulls
I have ordered from Expansys today, let us know how the installation goes. Can you just install/register the maps rather than the whole application?

Regards

Dez Ellis
enticknap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Unhelpful Tom Tom Customer service Reply with quote

I thought some of you might be interested to see my e-mail exchange with Tom Tom on this topic

Quote"Hi, I don't know if you can help me out. I am travelling to Orlando later this month and would like to take my HP 1940 with Tom Tom Navigator loaded on it to use while I am there. Unfortunately I only have the UK maps and was wondering if it is possible to purchase a Florida (or US) version and if so how much etc etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Simon Enticknap " Unquote

Their reply - Dear $customers.c$title $customers.c$surname,

You will need to upgrade to Navigator version 5 (unless you have already done so or have a NEW navigator 5 bundle) to use the USA navigator version 5 maps whenever these are introduced in the weeks ahead (sometime hopefully in August). Keep an eye on our website in the upcoming weeks. The prices are not yet known.

We do not sell the USA states separately. We do not rent our maps.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

So there you have it - you must upgrade; maps might be available sometime in August (not to be confused with July as previously stated) oh and by the way we don't know how much it will be.
Great Crying or Very sad
superseagulls
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the USA discs from Expansys this morning, in case anyone is interested they DO have full maps of Canada on them as well. Can not find the full USA map mentioned on GPS passion to fit on a 1GB card.... There is a major roads map that covers the whole of the USA - approx 225mb if my memory serves me right.....
I don't have a UK map so can't test it with it, I purchased the USA map only as I'm emigrating to the USA, I don't perceive any trips in the last few months here in the UK, so not really worth buying.

Another thing I have noticed is the difference in price between the UK & USA maps.
I paid £89.95 for my USA + Canada maps (expansys have subsequently put them up to £96.95), at the same shop the UK maps (available to order) cost £102.95. Ok the UK ones come on a memory card (wow 128mB, probably a whole £5's worth...) and the North America ones come on 8CD's, my point being, that there is a WHOLE LOT more mapping to do in the USA, there's probably 4 - 5 GIG of data on those CD's! How can that be cheaper than a tiny island???? 8O
goodolboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: TomTom5 & US Maps Reply with quote

I'm new to satnav and just started using TomTom 5 Bluetooth with an Axin x50v.

Like other contributors, I would like to use my kit in the USA so I've been following the discussion about TomTom and US Maps with interest.

According to the US TomTom site, maps for individual states are available, as are regional groups of states. They also offer a major routes map for the whole of the USA. They weren't selling maps for TT 5 when I last looked at their site.

It's good to hear that we in the UK can now get maps for the whole of the USA - are these full maps of all the individual states and are they seamless? In other words, can you navigate across state boundaries (or should I say state lines).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: