Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - City Select V8
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

City Select V8
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
farzad
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: City Select V8 Reply with quote

If you have just bought a Quest, or are about to buy one, then it might pay you not to register it.
I've just bought one, and when I phoned to ask for the upgrade to V7, I was advised to not register my unit and wait till V8 is out so I can get it for free.
Pretty descent of them I thought Smile
titusni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what V8 will add? Perhaps the rest of the Ireland updates?
farzad
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not easy to find info on Version 8.
They seem to be very tight lipped.
Getting the newer roads on it would be a good start...
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: City Select V8 Reply with quote

farzad wrote:
If you have just bought a Quest, or are about to buy one, then it might pay you not to register it.
I've just bought one, and when I phoned to ask for the upgrade to V7, I was advised to not register my unit and wait till V8 is out so I can get it for free.
Pretty descent of them I thought Smile

What, Garmin told you that? That sounds suspect.

Upgrades have historically been done on the basis of when you brought your GPS unit. So, if you brought a GPS today and v8 comes out tomorrow then you automatically get a free upgrade to v8 - regardless of any previous upgrades you have availed yourself of.
farzad
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Garmin website states that you only get a free upgrade if you register after the release date of the next map version.
In any case, there is nothing to loose by following the guys advise.
I'll keep you posted soon after V8 has been released....
joejoe1963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point Skippy.
The fact that V7 has been out since December and I bought my Quest in July would suggest it should have come installed with V7 but due to the way Garmin seem to work, it does not. I would have thought 7 months after the release of an update, it could not be construed as an update until the next version is release.

Certainly worth giving them some grief over if it isn't like that.
joejoe1963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, as Farzad says, I don't think they'll go for that.

It seems, after trying to read the US version of English, that updates to maps are never actually supplied free.
What I mean is that by purchasing a unit, that does not entitle you to one free upgrade when it comes along. The only time you are entitled to a free upgrade is if you buy a unit after an upgrade to the version of city select on your unit, comes out.

The key is not to unlock anything ( and as the Quest is pre-loaded and ready to go ),so as long as you don't register with them or the like, they won't know exactly when you bought it so you can have free upgrade, unless the unit records it's switch on date!!

Here's a copy of the FAQ, but I'm still not 100% on this and it may just be possible that you'll not only NOT be able to upgrade to V8 when it does come out, but you may not be able to get v7 either!

A. The free update unlock window slides according to the release date of the LATEST announced version of a given product. The free window will expire as such. Everything depends on the day you unlocked, ORIGINALLY & NEWLY, the first version of the product you have and on the release date of the LATEST version of that product. When a new update is announced the release date changes on the free update window, and you may not qualify for a free update after that happens.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I am starting to come around to joejoe1963's way of thinking. Wink

I think you are guys are right and I am wrong - buy a Quest then don't register it until v8 comes out and get a free upgrade. 8)
farzad
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at it this way..
It's a competitive market, you buy a Quest 7 month after V7 has come out and you get V6 with your package (annoying or what), then you register and they give you V7, only to find out a few weeks later that V8 has been released.
How many people will start writing to forums like this to complain and put other people off Garmin, specially when TOM TOM is knocking on their door.
I think Garmin would be crazy to stick to the wording of their rules.

All said, I think I'll start getting a bit twitchy around 30 days after my purchase date if there is still no news of V8....!
joejoe1963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly will be emailing them when it is release to point that out Farzad. Might not get anywhere but always worth a punt. And as you say, I think TomTom have actually knocked on the door and are now sitting in Garmins lounge drinking their sherry Wink

I mean, unless you've researched GPS, who has ever heard of Garmin?
On the otherhand, TomTom are all over the radio and TV presently.

Anyway, here's an email from Garmin I received today ( if I were a tomtom owner, then I'd never have received a reply, but the punters won't find out what their customer service is like until it's too late ).

Now to reply to it detailing our theories on upgrades.

Good Morning David,

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

In regard to your email, this is correct. Version 8 is due for release late August, early September but no offical release date has been set.

If you have any further questions please let me know.

> Regards,
> Luke R
> Product Support Associate
> Garmin (Europe) Ltd
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that as sat nav "comes of age" people will demand more up-to-date maps which will mean more frequent map releases. That's just going to be a fact of life - it's up to the user to decide if it is worth upgrading or not.

Buy yourself any bit of consumer electronics or software and it will be "out of date" within 6 months. That's progress for you.

On a side note, I just reinstalled Microsoft Office on my home PC and was shocked to see that I was still using Office 97. It's 8 years old but still works fine for what I need so why should I bother paying Bill Gates money for whatever the latest version is?
joejoe1963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin are quick!
The answer is, as mentioned earlier, if you have V7 on your unit, you won't get to see V8 free. They only offer a free upgrade to get V6 units to V7 level. Just checking if a V6 unit can be updgrade direct to V8.
joejoe1963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regard to your email, aslong as the unit is not registered then you would be able to update to V8 free of charge if the unit was received with V6.

If you have any further questions please let me know.

> Regards,
> Luke R
> Product Support Associate
> Garmin (Europe) Ltd

So, there you have it. For me, I'd already planned to update every other update, so unless V8 is a major change, I'll be waiting for V9. Real shame if it's going to be £43 at the current exchange rate and I've only just bought the unit.
locksmith
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the reply I got
Quote:
Dear xxx
Thank you for you Email.
If you purchased / registered a Garmin product with MapSource City Select ON or AFTER November 30th 2004 you are entitled to free update. If you purchased / registered before this date, you are able to update your mapping at the discounted rate of $75 USD+VAT.

At the moment there is version 7 but there is a new version 8 should be out by October, so it is up to you would you like us to send a version 7 CD to you. Or can wait and send us a Email around October time to get version 8 CD.

To take advantage of this update please order a free Update CD for that particular MapSource product.

To do this please send your postal address and product required to the upgradeoffer.europe@garmin.com <mailto:upgradeoffer.europe@garmin.com> e-mail address. We will then send the update CD to you.

As I read it even registered I get one free update, V7 or V8 if I wait.
farzad
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks locksmith
I have had mine now for nearly a month and haven't registered yet.
Your post tells me I've done the right thing.
Hope V8 is worth it.....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: