Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Creating POI's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Creating POI's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Acropolis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Creating POI's Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a list of places some 1300 shops, that i want to add as a POI to TT5, so i can select navigate to POI then enter the shop number and away I go.

I created some POI's a while back, but seem to remember that I had to enter the details and location for each one sperately, this I aint gonna be doing with 1300 of them, so I was wondering if there was a quicker way to do this.

All the information for the shops is currently located in an Excel spreadsheet, and i would like some easy way to create a POI from that with the shop number, address, postcode and a telephone number for each one.

Does anyone know of an easy way to do this?

Any help as always greatly appreciated.
alan_m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Creating POI's Reply with quote

Acropolis wrote:
Hi all,

I have a list of places some 1300 shops, that i want to add as a POI to TT5, so i can select navigate to POI then enter the shop number and away I go.

I created some POI's a while back, but seem to remember that I had to enter the details and location for each one sperately, this I aint gonna be doing with 1300 of them, so I was wondering if there was a quicker way to do this.

All the information for the shops is currently located in an Excel spreadsheet, and i would like some easy way to create a POI from that with the shop number, address, postcode and a telephone number for each one.

Does anyone know of an easy way to do this?

Any help as always greatly appreciated.

If you already have the list in Excel it should be easy.

You can 'save as' in Excel the list in a csv (comma separated values)
format. This is a text output file.

You can then convert this into a TT POI format using some free
software provided by TT which can be downloaded via a link in the
following page

http://www.tomtom.com/support/ce/support/nav_poi.php
The section - how to make your own POI databases

If you open your csv file with a text editor (Windoze Notepad or
Wordpad) you will see the file you have looks remarkably like the
example given.
Acropolis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that, i had a look at that page and downloaded the files that were there, but it doesnt seem to want to do anything which is annoying.

I also have the locations loaded into Autoroute and can export them as .psp Pushpin Files, and found a couple of programmes on here that will then convert them into .ov2 files, but this is done they are in the wrong place on the tomtom maps, they are always about 2 miles to the west of where they should be, north/south is spot on, but west/east is about 2 miles out.

I tried playing with the offset in one of these programmes but to no avail, that just pushes them futher away to the west, and if you enter a negitive they go somewhere else completely.

any more idea's?
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried POIConverter? It worked well for me.

Steve
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acropolis wrote:
I also have the locations loaded into Autoroute and can export them as .psp Pushpin Files,

Have you tried saving as .axe file?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acropolis wrote:
Cheers for that, i had a look at that page and downloaded the files that were there, but it doesnt seem to want to do anything which is annoying.

I also have the locations loaded into Autoroute and can export them as .psp Pushpin Files, and found a couple of programmes on here that will then convert them into .ov2 files, but this is done they are in the wrong place on the tomtom maps, they are always about 2 miles to the west of where they should be, north/south is spot on, but west/east is about 2 miles out.

I tried playing with the offset in one of these programmes but to no avail, that just pushes them futher away to the west, and if you enter a negitive they go somewhere else completely.

any more idea's?

After AutoRoute 2001 there is a error in the Microsoft AutoRoute code that results in the offset when you use the .psp file. All is OK if you transfer the file to Pocket Streets and use it on your PPC as Microsoft fix the error on the PPC. Nice one Microsoft Embarassed

Use my POIConvert with the .axe file but remember to exit from AutoRoute before opening the file in POIConverter.

Richard
Acropolis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies guys muchly appreciated it is.

I used POIConvert last night, and it worked alright in terms of getting the data onto the tomtom map, but there are in the wrong place, cause of the offset problem. I attempted to correct this, but it just sent them all over the place when i did this. The other problem is i can only get a small number of them from Auto Route in one go when i take them out as push pins, and when i try to load the .axe file into POIConvert it comes up with a load of errors and then closes.

I am going to sit and play with it again tonight and see if i can get it working as it would be really useful and mean i dont have to carry round half a small brazilian rain forst with me.
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have them in Excel it should be possible to export them in a format that POIEdit can import - then you can export as POI (after editing in POIEdit if appropriate)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: