Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom 5 upgrade CD gone missing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom 5 upgrade CD gone missing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gokhart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Tomtom 5 upgrade CD gone missing Reply with quote

Well after waiting for about 5 weeks my tomtom upgrade was despatched in the careful hands of UPS. They promptly delivered it to my flat where one of my neighbours was kind enough to sign for it and leave it on the stairs for me. However somehow it's now vanished... I spoke with all 5 other neighbours (who are honest people before anyone asks) and we have no clue as to what has happened. Spoke with UPS and as far as they are concerned, they delivered it to a responsible adult in the correct building. Wrote to Tomtom support to see what they can do for me.....awaiting response...

Now , I have a receipt from Tomtom showing I have bought an upgrade, and was wondering the following:

1) My existing product code for tomtom 3 presumable has been upgraded at their end to tomtom 5 so if I get a copy of the upgrade software, I can use my product code ? or do you get given a new product code ?

2) If my current product code for tomtom 3 is OK and tomtom have upgraded it at their end to TT5, then can anyone help me out by sending me a copy of the CDs or is this illegal ?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gokhart,

If you have upgraded a single country (e.g. GB) TomTom Navigator 3 for the pocket pc, you should have got a box containing 6 CDs as the upgrade gives you Maps of Western Europe as well as your own country.

You get a new product code with TomTom Navigator 5, so your old TomTom Navigator 3 product code will not work with TTNav 5 CDs (either originals or copies).

The TTNav 5 upgrade does a complete install and does not need TTNav 3 installed as a pre prerequisite, so unfortunately somebody has a nice present at your expense! Rolling Eyes

To make matters worse, your TTNav 3 product code will have now been flagged as being upgraded, so you can no longer use it for new installations. Sad

I would suggest that you contact TomTom ASAP and explain the situation. I would complain that UPS didn’t fulfil their contractual obligation of ensuring that the package was delivered to you in person. If it was impossible to deliver to your home address when you were there, they (UPS) should have left a card and invited you to pick up the package from their nearest depot.

Either that or you could ask your neighbour to cough up.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
gokhart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the prompt reply. I now realise the severity of the situation I'm in.

I wrote to tomtom this morning as soon as I spoke with UPS. I'll see what they say...
amcluesent
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Either that or you could ask your neighbour to cough up. <

I would do that.How lame is it leave a package on the stairs in London Exclamation
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Royal Mail Postie, if I had left the package (recorded/signed for) next door & it went missing (for whatever reason) I would be in trouble with the boss and as far as I know Royal Mail would have to compensate the customer for the cost of the item (up to a certain level depending on value stated at time of posting & level of insurance the sender paid for) plus the postage cost. This would normally be claimed back by the sender.
If it were a registered item (guaranteed next day, before 13:00hrs) then I would expect an 'on the record' warning at the very least (which could mean me being dismissed if the same thing happened again with a set time, usually 1 or 2 years). Even if the item DID NOT go missing & was handed to the customer by the person who signed (the neighbour) for it I could still face the same disiplinary action should the customer complain.

For that reason many posties do not leave ANY item with a neighbour unless it is asked for in writing.

I would have though that UPS would have similar rules. It would be up to Tomtom to claim and unless UPS could prove that it was signed for by someone at the delivery address the Tomtom should be compensated & you should be sent a replacement.

Another line may be to claim from the credit card compant but I don't know the rule regarding items ordered via the internet & DELIVERED TO THE WRONG ADDRESS.

Yes, that's right, it was DELIVERED TO THE WRONG ADDRESS by UPS. That's your arguement so push Tomtom to act.

Hope you win. Lets us know.

Norman
gokhart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. UPS are currently investigating (apparently speaking to the driver and some other stuff). They are allowed 5 days for this and so will get back to me Friday. Tomtom have yet to respond but have acknowledged my email........ho hum.... Sad
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gokhart,

Don’t forget that although you paid €68.95 (approximately £48.00 including conversation rate) for the upgrade, the actual replacement cost will be far greater, i.e. the cost of a single Country plus MoWE. BTW you can’t upgrade again from the same product code.

It sounds like it’s the fault of UPS, but as TomTom chose UPS then they should look favourably at the idea of despatching another copy, with the instructions to only deliver to you.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: