Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - License for Additional Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

License for Additional Maps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tricky2005
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: License for Additional Maps Reply with quote

I am a little perplexed at TomTom's marketing strategy. I am going on holiday to France on Friday and would like to be able to purchase the France maps. I can't seem to find them anywhere, spoke to Global Positioning Systems who sold me TT5 and they said maps wouldn't be available for a couple of weeks.

Now a friend of mine that has TT3, ordered the upgrade and he received the France map as part of the upgrade. I obviously can't use the map because my TomTom is only activated for the UK map which came with it, but does anyone know if you can purchase an activation code from TomTom. I will try and email/phone them but I thought I might get a reply on here quicker.

TIA
Tricky2005
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email to TomTom:

I purchased TT5 with UK maps. I am travelling to France on Friday. A friend of mine has purchased the TT5 upgrade for TT3 and has the France maps. Could I purchase an activation code for my PDA so I can use the France map on my PDA. I understand the maps may be available in the next couple of weeks, but I really need to sort something out before Friday.

There reply:

Thank you for contacting Customer Support. We currently have no procedure in place to sell product codes as they constitute the actual product, we would sell the package. Maps of Western Europe will be available at the end of July.

However, with Navigator 5 you are now able to download and install City Maps e.g. a City Map of Paris.

I'm stuffed then. Crying or Very sad
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I purchased TT5 with UK maps. I am travelling to France on Friday. A friend of mine has purchased the TT5 upgrade for TT3 and has the France maps. Could I purchase an activation code for my PDA so I can use the France map on my PDA. I understand the maps may be available in the next couple of weeks, but I really need to sort something out before Friday.

On a PDA with TTN5 installed and activated you do not need a further activation code for additional maps. Just load the map on your SD card and it will work.

Roger
sschelle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a solution.

Get yourself a copy of Maps of France for TomTom GO.

The part number is 1D90.051

This can then be activated with Navigator 5 (for PocketPC)

Good luck,

SS
Tricky2005
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, I did try that but it doesn't work. I bought the full retail version with the UK map and my friend has the upgrade to TT3, and tried his maps which didn't work.
I was using an old map of Western Europe but after the upgrade it stopped working and so panic set in.

SS, I wasn't aware you could use the Go maps, why didn't TT tell me that in the email? It may be too late to purchase something now though, I am leaving first thing tomorrow morning.

As I said at the beginning, I think TT have shot themselves in the foot, I am quite prepared to pay for maps for my trip tomorrow, but the end of next week is no good for me.
sschelle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know why they have decided to not commuicate the fact that you can use the GO maps.

I too am leaving for France (today) and had the same problem, took a shot and it worked.

Found the map on BUY.com and got one day shipping.
genghisackroyd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning:

If you try to install a map (or set) from another prodcuct (ie from a TTN5 upgrade for another PDA).

It will not work - I know I have tried installing my map onto another PDA and also to a GO - in both instances it failed to work (reg code incorrect)

Save your money, and buy the proper one from TomTom (and yes, I know it's a stupid state of affairs).

Sorry I can't be more encouraging.. Confused

I would also deduce from that that the GO map will not work when you get it so I hope Buy.com will refund once opened. Crying or Very sad

PDA Current: iPAQ hx4700 + Co-Pilot Live/TomTom 2, 3 & 5 + Fortuna Clip-On + 512Mb Ultra ii SD + 256Mb SD + Brodit Active Mount

PDA History: iPAQs (2210 <-- 3970) <-- Palms (M515 <-- M505)
sschelle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe map is working.
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can anyone else comfirm the Go maps working with TTN5? Before I spend my hard earned cash on the maps?
sschelle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in France using them now.
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, I have just invested in some go maps. So hopefully all should be well.

Thanks again.
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i remember correctly when installing TT5 maps there was an option to install on the GO
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, the response to my problems has been amazing here. I feel quite confident that when the maps arrive tomorrow I will have no problems installing and using them.

I presume that once I get to france I just go to the change map function in TTN5 and swap SD cards or is it more complicated than that?? Sorry chaps I am a bit of a biff and extremely new to GPS, the only experience I have had in the past is military locators for gaining your positionon a map.
sschelle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should work.

DO NOT forget to pull the product code card out of teh package (it's between the paper behind the chip package).

without that you're lost.

The card should be in the PDA prior to hitting change maps, then you'll need to activate using the product code.

I'd do it before you leave.
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maps come on CD, do I put my new SD card in and save them to it through activesync? Then go to change maps, activate etc as advised?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: