Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Install Issues ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Install Issues ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fysmd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Install Issues ? Reply with quote

No problems with installation, VERY good (and comprehensive) instructions I thought.

I have a minor niggle, as I previously used POIEdit it was unclear how to remove my old POI settings.

I notice that the PocketGPS URL isn't saved in the list of POI sites, it remains the active one though..

I know that neither of these are your problems though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Install Issues ? Reply with quote

Just as a (slightly off topic?) addendum to Dave's comments about POI file names, there is a bug even in TomTom Navigator 2 2.22 with editing a POI that seems to trip if the file name contains any 'special' characters such as a _.

I had reported this to TomTom with version 2.05, and after some confusion, I got confirmation they were investigating. I guess the report didn't get to them in time to fix it for 2.22. I've mentioned this in more detail in the TomTom Navigator 2 forum in the past here.

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Graham, this was really what I meant about cleaning out the POI's in your country directory. The problem here is TomTom Navigator doesn't like POI files with spaces in them. We haven't really checked and renamed POI's that have been submitted to the manual download process, so if you were to add any POI's to one of the existing files, you would have problems. This really needs to be rectified at some point.

Now not only TomTom Navigator has problems with this, we found with POIEdit that it would fail downloading an OV2 file also if it had a space in it by coming back with an error saying object not found on our sync server, so we have had to rename them to work.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Quote: Originally posted by RobMob on 18 June 2003

I had same error on my home PC connected to cable broadband. I had to go to the Tools option on POIEdit - Proxy Settings and click the Manual Settings radio button - problem solved.

RobMob

Thanks to RobMob's advice, I managed to get my home PC to run POIEdit.

I'm still having trouble getting the work's offic PC to work with the Proxy settings. I think this is probably due to tight network/net security settings.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
nicknick
Regular Visitor

I've now checked via dial-up and I had to go and check the 'Manual' settings in POI Edit. So even though IE is working OK, POI Edit still tries to pick up the LAN proxy settings. And setting a proxy for my dial-up doesn't help

Nick
grahamwalker
Regular Visitor

Dave,

Just installed POI Edit for the first time on my 3850 and all was dead straightforward.

Only issue I have is the fact that some of the POIs have slighly different names to the ones on he manual download site, so I've had to go in and manually delete the old duplicates...

"Does exactly what it says on the tin!"

Cheers,

Graham.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Ah, that would make sense!
RobMob
Regular Visitor

ALso having restarted my PC I noted the next time I ran POIEdit I had to change the setting again.

Rob
Dave
Frequent Visitor

That's strange, using Internet Explorer settings should work unless your ISP sets you up with a web cache, in which case it could cause problems.
RobMob
Regular Visitor

I had same error on my home PC connected to cable broadband. I had to go to the Tools option on POIEdit - Proxy Settings and click the Manual Settings radio button - problem solved.

RobMob
Dave
Frequent Visitor

The ports that POI-Edit uses is the standard Port 80 for web browsing, but it also does do a DNS lookup (Port 53) using TCP.

If you are running a proxy client, you may also need to have SOCKS enabled on your proxy server because applications usually use SOCKS and not standard HTTP access.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

I’ve tried my to set-up POIEdit on my office networked PC. This PC isn’t currently set-up to synchronise with my iPAQ, i.e. it doesn’t have either ActiveSync or a USB sync cable. I’m hoping to change this in the next week or so. This is my first time of using POIEdit

Whilst I’m trying to run the Wizard to connect to the Pocket GPS POI-Sync Server I get a problem after supplying http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/poisync/pocketgps.xml and hitting the “Next” button:

Error Message:

Can not retrieve proxy settings. Probably these are set to Auto Detect or Auto Configuration.

You can set proxy settings manually from the Online | Proxy Settings menu.

I suspect that this may be the company’s Firewall/Proxy server causing this problem. Does anyone know what the manual settings should be?

I will try on my home PC (with dial-up connection) tonight

I found the Pocket GPS instructions to be very good.
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Dave
Frequent Visitor

How is everyone getting on with the install of POI-Edit ? Have you experienced any problems with the instructions ?
nicknick
Regular Visitor

You can't use the 'Use Internet Explorer Settings' option if you have checked the 'Automatically detect settings' option in IE. It's in the LAN Settings under the Connections tab in the IE Options.

I've unchecked this and then POI Edit accepts using the IE settings. So @ work via a proxy it works, I just need to check at home via the dial up

Nick
Heyou
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed POIEdit no probs - Broadband Cable with Router/Hub - it said something about proxy setting not being right and that if i had detect proxy server set to automatic it wouldn't work.

I couldn't figure out how to get round that, so in my LAN setting i changed it to a fixed Proxy server address and used Port 8080. This seemd to do the trick but i've a feeling that it's not right somehow, there again my brain isn't right either....

Del.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: