Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fugawi UK new version cannot export
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fugawi UK new version cannot export

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prophet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Fugawi UK new version cannot export Reply with quote

I just downloaded the latest update from the Fugawi site. It fixes the lack of support for Activesync 3.7. Now I cannot export anything to my PPC as it claims the exported area is outside the terms of the license - even the smallest file gets this message.

CC
ttelmah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Fugawi UK new version cannot export Reply with quote

Yes,

I was hoping that this would fix some of the existing problems with the software. My first (and for me very annoying one), was the inability to print to a scale. This has been fixed. :-)

However I have had a number of problems with the PocketPC code, and hoped that this might be updated (it will cause odd 'exception' errors in a number of situations, but the code is the same, so no fix for this. :-(

My main 'gripes' though, were firstly, that it is really difficult to know how large the legal 'export' area can be (having to use the distance measure, and calculate the area for a selected box, is hard work), while the error message that was given 'invalid handle', hardly gave much information. I had suggested to them, that it would be relatively simple to do this calculation in 'real time', and change the selection box colour when the legal size was exceeded. They seem to have fixed the message, but the selection allowed, now seems to be nil...

The other complaint, was that the export system, is a real pain, requiring the PocketPC to be present when exporting sections. This is annoying/silly, since it is much easier in general to copy the maps onto a flash, or SD card, using a USB or PCMCIA adapter, especially since the speed difference is massive. Though you can still do this, you need to carry the normal connection cable as well so that active sync can be activated, making an unnecessary 'extra'.

The package as a whole, is 'good in parts'. The actual positioning, is excellent, and some features work quite well, but other sections are awkward (for instance, it is a pain if you want to move the map to a particular lat/long, to have to enter this as a waypoint, and then move the map to this, instead of simply entering the location directly...).

The PocketPC software seems to cause some strange behaviour with storage devices in general (insisting on creating a 'Fugawilib' directory, on any storage device inserted), then reporting 'storage errors', on devices that otherwise work fine.

At present, I'd rate the package as useable on the PC, but pretty weak, for the export, and operation on the PocketPC. :-(

Anyway, I have emailed Fugawi again to moan, so it'll be interesting to see if they can fix things.

Best Wishes
ttelmah
Occasional Visitor

There is now a version on the Fugawi site, that does export correctly. The printing also works (with adjustable scales), so the PC side of the package is a lot more usable.

The pocket-PC software still has problems, but can be used reasonably competently, provided you keep your maps on something other than Compact Flash (for some reason, there are intermittent storage system errors when CF is used, despite the same cards working fine with other mapping software - this is repeatable on a couple of different Ipaq Pocket PC's - different versions, and with different memory cards).

It is now useable.

Best Wishes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: