Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - OK we have got V5. What do we want to see in Version 6.0
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

OK we have got V5. What do we want to see in Version 6.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kskid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only had the latest version 5 for 24 hours but it seems to me a lot of the functionality on TTN3 has been lost in this version, as if they are trying to have the same operation in TTGO and the standard PDA. Perhaps it is hard to move on but these are some of the things that I have already started to miss in the new version.

1. Easier input of POI as the old version was 2 taps of the screen to save current position.
2. Make the speed display much more visible as this has now gone much smaller than before and is harder to read when mobile.
3. Allow 2 warnings to be sounded when approaching POI's and perhaps have it at 10 second intervals.
4. Allow the navigator sound to be disabled independently to the POI sound. The sound for navigation is not always needed until you approach unfamiliar surroundings. POI for "safety cameras" sound is needed all of the time.
5. Allow personal sounds to be added as warnings for the POI.
6. Smaller icons indicating sound off and battery off on display.
7. Where has the map display gone ! useful if you want to look for alternative route and have current GPS display on the map.
8. Automatic night display at sunset and day display at sunrise.
9. Display number of satellites next to signal bars.
10. Sound when GPS signal locked/lost.

These are just a few of the points that I seem to have lost by upgrading to TTN5. Perhaps I may find more as time goes on.
kskid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only had the latest version 5 for 24 hours but it seems to me a lot of the functionality on TTN3 has been lost in this version, as if they are trying to have the same operation in TTGO and the standard PDA. Perhaps it is hard to move on but these are some of the things that I have already started to miss in the new version.

1. Easier input of POI as the old version was 2 taps of the screen to save current position.
2. Make the speed display much more visible as this has now gone much smaller than before and is harder to read when mobile.
3. Allow 2 warnings to be sounded when approaching POI's and perhaps have it at 10 second intervals.
4. Allow the navigator sound to be disabled independently to the POI sound. The sound for navigation is not always needed until you approach unfamiliar surroundings. POI for "safety cameras" sound is needed all of the time.
5. Allow personal sounds to be added as warnings for the POI.
6. Smaller icons indicating sound off and battery off on display.
7. Where has the map display gone ! useful if you want to look for alternative route and have current GPS display on the map.
8. Automatic night display at sunset and day display at sunrise.
9. Display number of satellites next to signal bars.
10. Sound when GPS signal locked/lost.

These are just a few of the points that I seem to have lost by upgrading to TTN5. Perhaps I may find more as time goes on.
hat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's one i thought of last night on the way home past tons of speed cameras. TomTom knows how fast you're going, the camera database knows the limit of the specific camera, so - how about a warning when you are approaching a camera too fast rather than a static warning that you are approaching a camera? maybe the screen could flash red or a different bleep could sound? it could work the same way as the current 'warn when near POI' works but it would check your speed at the pre-set warning distance
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hat wrote:
here's one i thought of last night on the way home past tons of speed cameras. TomTom knows how fast you're going, the camera database knows the limit of the specific camera, so - how about a warning when you are approaching a camera too fast rather than a static warning that you are approaching a camera? maybe the screen could flash red or a different bleep could sound? it could work the same way as the current 'warn when near POI' works but it would check your speed at the pre-set warning distance

Nice thought - but it would be difficult to implement. Don't forget that speed cameras use just the standard POI functionality - and a speed clearly wouldn't be appropriate for any other type of POI. In fact TTG doesn't know what the speed limit is! You do - because you know how to interpret a POI category called "Gatso 30" or whatever - but to TTG, it's just another POI category.

If the feature which you suggest were to be developed, it would almost certainly only work with TomTom's version of the speed camera database - which (a) isn't free and (b) by all accounts is nowhere near as good as the PocketGPS database. To many of us, that would be seen as a retrograde step!

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
hat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know tomtom doesn't know the speed limit but i wouldn't have thought the logic from the poi warning to the current speed would be too hard to work out
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hat wrote:
i know tomtom doesn't know the speed limit but i wouldn't have thought the logic from the poi warning to the current speed would be too hard to work out

The difficult bit is working out the speed limit from what is essentially pure text with no defined structure in the category name and or POI description - and the need to recognise and treat speed camera POIs differently from other POIs.

As I suggested earlier, it could possibly be done - but only if TT defined the data structure - which would probably limit it to their own (paid) camera database.

Maybe our up-do-date software development experts would care to comment? [I haven't written software in anger for about 25 years!]

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
Jim-Bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the warn when near option you already have to set the distance, sound and only on route.

They would probably be able to add another option here to have a warn when over/under a user specified speed. This would take away the need for the speed limit to be built into the files.
hat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim-Bob wrote:
For the warn when near option you already have to set the distance, sound and only on route.

They would probably be able to add another option here to have a warn when over/under a user specified speed. This would take away the need for the speed limit to be built into the files.

exactly what i was thinking & trying to articulate.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim-Bob wrote:

OK, I think I will nearly buy that.

But I think I would still want some sort of camera warning, even if I was driving below the speed limit - in case I accelerated before getting to the camera.

Bobm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When using an itinery it would be nice to have an estimated arrival time at the next waypoint and not just the final destination. This would obviously need some re-arrangement on the screen and the option might require you to sacrifice some other items - but at least it would be nice to have the opportunity.
ScaredyCat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:

Maybe our up-do-date software development experts would care to comment? [I haven't written software in anger for about 25 years!]

Actually once the SDK finally appears then it should be pretty easy to implement the feature, It may mean redoing a single poi file where the descriptive text is simply the speed limit. This could then be read by the app (using the nearest poi features) which could then compare with the speed.

It's worth pointing out that the accuracy of your speed is wholey dependant on the gps signal strength - ie if there's lots of trees about the Go may report a lower or higher speed. In this case reporting a lower speed would be worse.

SC
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Actually once the SDK finally appears then it should be pretty easy to implement the feature.

What's SDK?

Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
What's SDK?

Software Development Kit (SDK)

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of changes in 25 years. I must admit to programming in assembler, BCPL and later in C++ with Microsoft SDK. It does take all the fun out of programming though you can produce the goods much faster.
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kskid wrote:

Exactly. Have the camera database updating bods noticed a drop off in user reported cameras since v5? Because as of yet, I have not managed to save any new ones because by the time I have got to the GPS location bit I am way past the camera! Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: