Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How long to get City Select V7?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How long to get City Select V7?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krusty_clown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M50 has been around for a few years, only the final section (Dundrum to Bray, was added since v7 came out).. It should certainly have routed you over the existing section of the M50 anyway (as far as Dundrum).

It has routed me over the M50 on all of my recent routes, but I haven't used it from Belfast to Wicklow/Wexford direction.

I just routed from Belfast to Rosslare, on Mapsource and the Quest, and in each case it took me over the M50 (avoiding the city centre). Both had identical routes (probably not my preferred route, going through Naas and Newbridge, instead of up the coast on the N11). I presume V8 will have the corrected final M50 route..
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titusni wrote:
On the way back from Rosslare the Quest decided to take me through the *centre* of Dublin rather than via some sort of ring road - I know the M50 road was only finished a couple of days after I passed there, but there must have been a better way to go thru/round Dublin than the one the Quest picked...

Did you calculate the Shortest or the Quickest route? It looks like you got the shortest one because the quickest should have routed you via the Naas road and then the M50.

krusty_clown wrote:
probably not my preferred route, going through Naas and Newbridge, instead of up the coast on the N11

Yeah, in my experience it can be pretty busy at times and they have most of it dug up at the moment. Sad

From Garmin's point of view, the road through Naas is fairly fast motorway and dual carriageway so that's why it favours it. The coast road is only 10 miles shorter and I guess the GPS calculates that you can make better time on the "fast" sections of the Naas road.

The Naas road is also the way people recommend to me when I'm heading from Dublin to Waterford. I've not tried the coast road for years, I'll give it a go sometime. I think it would probably be a fairly 50/50 call to decide which way is better.
titusni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krusty_clown wrote:
I just routed from Belfast to Rosslare, on Mapsource and the Quest, and in each case it took me over the M50 (avoiding the city centre). Both had identical routes (probably not my preferred route, going through Naas and Newbridge, instead of up the coast on the N11). I presume V8 will have the corrected final M50 route..

Yeah, on my way down from Belfast Mapsource took me round the M50 and near Naas and down the N80 & N81 to Enniscarthy to rejoin the N11 there.

As I found the N80 and N81 were awful roads to drive my trike on (lots of sharp bends, stuck behind people doing 50-55mph) on the way back I decided to keep going up the N11 towards Dublin and let the Quest figure out a route for me - it didn't try to get me onto the M50 but rather took me right through the city centre...
titusni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

Did you calculate the Shortest or the Quickest route? It looks like you got the shortest one because the quickest should have routed you via the Naas road and then the M50.

From Garmin's point of view, the road through Naas is fairly fast motorway and dual carriageway so that's why it favours it. The coast road is only 10 miles shorter and I guess the GPS calculates that you can make better time on the "fast" sections of the Naas road.

I must have missed the fast sections after Naas and before Eniscarthy...it all seemed to be narrow winding roads :-(

See my last post - I went on M50 near Naas and down on the way to Rosslare - on the way back I stayed on the N11 and headed towards Dublin and let the Quest figure out a route from there - which involved going straight through the middle of Dublin.

BTW if you're interested there's pics of my trike up at http://www.oldcolo.com/~bradley/trike/ - taken before I mounted the Quest.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titusni wrote:
I must have missed the fast sections after Naas and before Eniscarthy...it all seemed to be narrow winding roads :-(

N80 and N81 were awful roads to drive my trike on (lots of sharp bends, stuck behind people doing 50-55mph)

You shouldn't have been routed via the N81, there are a few miles of motorway via the N9/M9 and M7/N7.

Check your routing settings, Menu->Menu->Route Setup and make sure you have "Faster Time" selected and that you don't have avoid motorways switched on.

The trike is nice - a real work of art. It does have one too many wheels for my personal preferences though. Wink
joejoe1963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered mine as of 14:45. Told 2 days, we'll see.

Can you use V6 for the time being and load v7 for free once it arrives or is it better to just wait for V7?
krusty_clown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have v6 installed, in order to install v7. It is an upgrade only.
krusty_clown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice trike! I definitely didn't see you on the roads when you were over here. :D

Oh and most Irish roads are pretty miserable to drive on..
I had the Quest plot a route from my home in Dublin to Doolin in Co. Clare, with fastest bias for the route. It was winding country roads nearly all of the way! But aren't they the best kind of roads?! (admittedly, some tarmac on them would be nice. Crying or Very sad )
joejoe1963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh? You sure? That might explain why the things been out since December yet they are still shipping V6.
bustupbiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just sent off my request, i will keep you posted on time to arrive.
krusty_clown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joejoe1963 wrote:
Eh? You sure? That might explain why the things been out since December yet they are still shipping V6.

Yeah, I'm sure. Just went through the whole process.. They save money by not recalling all of their Quest stock out with the retailers, in order to upgrade to the V7 product. I'm sure if you waited a few months they'll probably start shipping with V7 (althought the V7 CDs I received definitely require you to have V6 installed prior to installation)...

BTW: I used Elsinga's FAQ to delete the V6 maps from my hard-drive to save a gig or two of space (The v6 maps are pretty rotten for Ireland). So you may want to do this too, unless you want a sizeable amount of space taken up on your HD for historic value!
joejoe1963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Krusty.

My disc arrived this morning. So, less than 24 hours to get the disk. Impressive. Bear in mind I phoned this through and did not use the web.

As you say Krusty, it clearly states previous version required, and thanks for the map tip.
toaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took me about a dozen 'phone calls and over 6 weeks to get my V7 Evil or Very Mad However, I can't complain about the way it was all handled though, very helpfull on the 'phone.

Four days after my update arived, so did another update disk 8O

Anyone desperate in the Andover area, drop me a PM as I have a shrink-wrapped spare going begging.
titusni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

Check your routing settings, Menu->Menu->Route Setup and make sure you have "Faster Time" selected and that you don't have avoid motorways switched on.

The trike is nice - a real work of art. It does have one too many wheels for my personal preferences though. Wink

Checked the Quest - definately set for Faster Time. So not sure what happened - ah well I only had it for 2 days before the trip so maybe I've not figured everything out yet

As for the trike - yeah, I'm very happy with it. I'm almost, almost, almost, almost done tinkering and adding/changing bits on it Laughing :D
joejoe1963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infact, it'd be easier if the CD was on P2P. Not as though you have to pay for it ( only at activation ).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: