Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 5 is great...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 5 is great...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
novaya_zemla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: TomTom 5 is great... Reply with quote

Just like to say that I think TT5 is great! Absolutely no problems, really smooth graphics and with the new SDK things can only get better. Well done the TomTom team..... :D
amcluesent
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud, "and I'd willingly sell my house and all my possesions to help TomTom..."
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a BT338 GPS Receiver and I had a hell of a job to get TT5 to recognise it. I tried unsuccessfully for days and in the end I had to revert to TT3. I made a backup of TT5 using the wonderful Sprite Backup program and vowed that when time allowed I would try again to get the TT5 program to work on my Ipaq 2110. Two days ago I restored TT5 and Bingo it worked. I don’t know how or why it suddenly recognised my GPS Receiver but it matters not. Anyway, I have travelled over two hundred miles over the last two days and the TT5 works brilliantly. To be able to navigate to a Post Code is very handy. Many warehouses and office blocks don’t have a house number but all have a Postcode. The navigation screen showing the street names is also a good idea. It runs perfectly. Eight days ago I was very depressed when I couldn’t get it to work but now I am over the moon.
TomTom-Paul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points.
It was nice to be guided around the M6 Toll & M6 junctions today.
I like the road name/number display, and to be able to turn the screen 90 deg.
I find the route recalculation very fast compared to TTN3, but I did get a couple of "turn round when possible" whilst on a round-about and when waiting to turn right when stationary in the middle of the raod at traffic lights.
I really like the advanced warning of the next but one turn, expecially when coming off a motorway, being told which way to turn at the round-about early compared to on TTN3 having to wait until nearly on it.

Bad points.
I would like that avoid areas back. I had thought that the avoid areas in TTN3 could have been improved so that a speed could be set for a particular section of road.
I think that the road speed settings have been removed so that we are forced to use the live traffic reports feature, which is difficult on a non bluetooth device, and without GPRS on my work mobile. The timings were not bad when the road was clear.
It is silly not to be able to plan an itinery off-line.

Cheers
Paul
ChristopherPovey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought TomTom Nav 5 with the Bluetooth GPS. This is my first car navigation tool. I too am happy with it. I own a convertible and in the current warm sunny weather it’s nice to take a more scenic route to my destination. I have made extensive use of the “avoid motorways” and while not entirely perfect it does perform well 99 times out of 100.

My only niggles are:

Once the software lost all my favourites, home, and sound assignments. Sad

It would be nice to specify a GPS location as a destination that you are not actually at! For example I am visiting a holiday cottage in the summer. I have a StreetMap location for the map but no post code or street name (it’s in the middle of nowhere anyway!) In the end I created a ASC file with the Lat/Long in and name, and converted it to a POI file. TomTom then created a route to the POI.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChristopherPovey wrote:
It would be nice to specify a GPS location as a destination that you are not actually at! For example I am visiting a holiday cottage in the summer. I have a StreetMap location for the map but no post code or street name (it’s in the middle of nowhere anyway!) In the end I created a ASC file with the Lat/Long in and name, and converted it to a POI file. TomTom then created a route to the POI.

If you Browse Map you can Select a point on the Map and Add as POI. You can also use Navigate to ... / Point on Map.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andyd32
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChristopherPovey wrote:

Or you could try OS GPS Convertor which will create the POI for you from the PPC:

http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/barrydavies/OSGPS.htm
ChristopherPovey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
ChristopherPovey wrote:

If you Browse Map you can Select a point on the Map and Add as POI. You can also use Navigate to ... / Point on Map.

Yes, but you have to manually scroll to that point on the map. The place I am going to is at an end of a road which is not in TomTom. However the road it joins to is.
mike30
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom 5 is great... Reply with quote

novaya_zemla wrote:
Just like to say that I think TT5 is great! Absolutely no problems, really smooth graphics and with the new SDK things can only get better. Well done the TomTom team..... :D

Well what can I say! except maybe get a job with tomtom sales team?
The GUI (front End) looks ok but not that great.
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom 5 is great... Reply with quote

mike30 wrote:
Well what can I say! except maybe get a job with tomtom sales team?
The GUI (front End) looks ok but not that great.

IMO it's much more intuitive than the previous three incarnations of PPC Navigator, which were getting progressively more untidy and convaluted. I personally gave up with version 3, and went back to maps. After upgrading to TTN5 on a drunkem whim I was very pleasantly surprised to see that they seem to have clarified what they're doing (even if it's not quite ironed out yet).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: