Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Connecting a Handheld GPS Receiver...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Connecting a Handheld GPS Receiver...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Connecting a Handheld GPS Receiver... Reply with quote

A lot of people are asking about connecting handheld GPS Receivers to PDA's, and we thought it was about time we did a little tutorial on the different cable plugs, where to get them (eg PC-Mobile) and what type of cables and product codes you need to look at to create your desired cable.

The Connecting a Handheld GPS Receiver to your PDA can be read here
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Connecting a Handheld GPS Receiver... Reply with quote

Have read your article re connecting GPS to PDA. I have a HP Jonada 520 and am connecting an Etrex Venture GPS. I have connected via the etrex cable supplied and the serial sync lead supplied with the PDA. I am using Tom Tom City Maps software but just get the message GPS disbled when I am connected. What if anything am I doing wrong

Malcolm Beagle detectorinxs@hdmds.co.uk
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I'm not sure if anyone supports the HP Jornada 520 in cables, looking at PC-Mobile they mainly list the 540. In theory I think you can do it the way you've detailed, but you will need a null modem adapter. It all hangs on whether the Jornada will support a serial GPS connection, and I'm not too sure if it will.
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

Jornada 520 should work with the set up.

You need a PROPER null modem adapter in between, that is probably what you do not have.

If you have, then you need to configure both the GPS and software correctly for it to work.

Dave
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the info on connectors in the article. I've got a Garmin GPS 12 with a RS232 9 pin output cable. how do i connect this too the standards IPAG 3970 syn cable via the rs232 9 in on the sinc.

I'm running TOMTON nav 2 on the Ipaq and don't get a signal into the gps software. I'm using the seiral port com 1 connection in the software -is this correct?

Regards

Steve
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

COM1 would be correct on a 3970 (make sure if you have any keyboard drivers installed, that you disable them).

At a guess - and I expect Pc-Mobile will be along to correct me if I'm wrong - you need a null modem adapter.

The standard serial cables are wired up for synchronisation (connecting to a serial port on a PC, which is DTE). That means your Pocket PC, with a sync cable, is itself DCE.

Other serial devices (modems, standard GPS cables etc.) are wired up with various lines, like receive data and transmit data flipped over (DCE).

Unless you're connecting DTE to DCE, you need a null modem to cross various lines over. I think a lot of people regard the terms DTE (Data Terminal Equipment) and DCE (Data Communications Equipment) as obsolete, or at least they don't use them, but I find it useful in figuring out when a null modem is needed and when it is not needed.

Pc-Mobile can, I'm sure, sell you an appropriate adapter. Otherwise, the only source of a 9 pin to 9 pin null modem I know of is Expansys.

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

So I'm ok on the comms port,

and now i've hot wired the two rs232's

Finally sussed that I need to connect :-

Garman cable data out - rs232 pin 2 (recieve RxD) to

Sync cable - rs232 pin 3 (transmitted TxD).

Which in my mind is the wrong way round (I expected the garman to transmit and Ipaq to recieve) but that doesn't work and above does.

I checked the output from Garman using a volt meter - crude but it worked.

So in conclusion.

On Ipaq TOMTOM - use com 1 serial port

device set to gps12

On Garmen - set interface to none/nmea -

183 v2

4800 baud rate

Use garman PC data output cable

IPAQ sync cable

9 pin null modem connector between two.

Hey presto in business

Thanks Dave

regards

Steve

sah007@o2.co.uk

Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people use 39xx and eTrex with Tom Tom successfully.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: