Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New 2610 - "Find" questions!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New 2610 - "Find" questions!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DOK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: New 2610 - "Find" questions!! Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just bought a 2610 and have been playing with it, trying to work out all the features. I have some issues/questions with regard to the "Find" feature - hopefully someone has the answers!

Intersections. Is it not possible to enter road numbers rather than names? I don't know about anyone else but I tend to think of major roads in terms of a road number rather than a name. When I try using numbers, though, the 2610 does not find anything.

Exits. Is there a reason why the location of an exit is actually several feet off to one side of the road Confused Confused I tried a couple - for example J12 of the M25 where it joins the M3 and got it to compute a route to it. Routes along the M25 nicely but then comes off at J11 (ie the one before the exit I am looking for) and routes through back streets to where it thinks the exit is Question Question

DOK
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New 2610 - "Find" questions!! Reply with quote

Welcome

DOK wrote:
Exits. Is there a reason why the location of an exit is actually several feet off to one side of the road Confused Confused

Hmm, a motorway exit is a bad place to try and route to, you should select an actual destination and it will take you there!

The thing is that if you click on the wrong part of a spaghetti junction then the StreetPilot will do it's damnedest to route you there - even if it means driving up to the next junction then turning around so you can get to the exact part of the junction you pointed too.

For example, if you are driving north on the M1, near J10 and you select J11 southbound offramp as your destination, you will be routed north to J12 turn around then south back down the motorway to J11 southbound offramp to the EXACT spot where you said you wanted to go.

Similar things happen if you select the "wrong" side of a dual carriageway. The GPS assumes that you want to go EXACTLY where you pointed. This does make sense, for example you might want to stop on the opposite side of a dual carriageway - the GPS will route you up to the next available (hopefully legal) U-Turn point and then back down the other side.
DOK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy,

Thanks. I don't particularly want to route to this junction, I was just playing with the functions - for me, that is the best way to find out about the unit. Just to be clear, I was not "pointing" to the junction and selecting it, I was using the "Find" feature to locate it. What is confusing is that it seems to be locating a point that is off to one side of the motorway. For the hell of it, I might just drive the route this weekend to see exactly where on the ground it takes me.

DOK
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOK wrote:
I was not "pointing" to the junction and selecting it, I was using the "Find" feature to locate it. What is confusing is that it seems to be locating a point that is off to one side of the motorway.

Ahh, I have figured out what's happening.

The junction you are finding is a POI on the basemap and the basemap is about 500 meters adrift from reality. So, routing to J1 on the M25 will take you close to it but not actually there...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: