Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin GPSMAP 295 Tips
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin GPSMAP 295 Tips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Aviation / Marine Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mazza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Garmin GPSMAP 295 Tips Reply with quote

I'd like to generate some discussion on the practical use of the GPSMAP 295. To kick off the discussion I'll submit two tips.

The 295 is a great unit, but in the past two things have confounded me when using it.

The first was the occasional inability to add a waypoint to the active flight plan on the Active Route page. I found this was due to my having too many routes stored and thus running out of memory. The odd thing is that I didn’t get any warning of the memory limit, aside from being unable to enter a new waypoint. Deleting a couple of routes solved the problem.

The second concerned off-route direct-to's. If you use direct-to to proceed to a point not on your active route, the active route disappears from the Route page and is replaced by the sole direct-to point. The question I had was, How do I get the flight plan back? The answer is to use the “Deactivate” option (called up by the “Menu” button). That will clear the off-route direct-to and bring back up the previous route. This second problem isn’t much of one if you have the active flight plan previously stored in the Routes section, because you can always recall it from there. But if you’ve created an elaborate route “on the fly” on the Active Route page, it’s disheartening to see all that work disappear because of an off-route direct-to, and not know how to get it back! “Deactivate” makes it all magically reappear! (Unless you’ve added another waypoint to the off-route direct-to on the Active Route page... In that case “Deactivate” leaves you with no route at all. But, that’s another story...)

Joe Mazza
PeterB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Garmin GPSMAP 295 Tips Reply with quote

Joe,

It's good to find someone with experience of using the full facilities of the Garmin 295. Most of the pilots I know ONLY use the moving map facility!!!!

The main reason is all the button pressing , in flight, for a solo pilot.

Do you manage OK when flying solo???

We hope to get hold of a 295 for a full test soon and would appreciate your input and experience.

Our next test report, in a couple of weeks , will be of a comprehensive PDA based system and it would be very interesting to compare this with the Garmin!!

Joe Mazza
Occasional Visitor

Hi Peter,

I try to use as many of the 295's features as I can, but I also agree that that comes at the cost of a lot of head-in-the-cockpit button pushing time. Perhaps too much, especially when VFR.

I also have a panel mount UPSAT GX55 that I find much easier to use in flight. Maybe it's the different user interface, or maybe it's the knobs (instead of all buttons), but in a pinch I find myself using the 55 first, then catching up with the 295 when I get time.

I use both units for both VFR and IFR flying. I especially like the 295's HSI function (my plane doesn't have one) and it's ability to call up and display IFR final approach sequences.

Joe

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Aviation / Marine Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: