Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Testing - What we do for you!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Testing - What we do for you!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: GPS Testing - What we do for you! Reply with quote

I've included some exclusive of photos of some GPS testing I've been carrying out recently. Please note that this is by no means the norm here, on average I will usually run 2 to 3 GPS systems in-car at anyone time, this month really has been crazy with different hardware we've been testing and whilst spending some quality time in-car as with typical british weather when I was heavily testing it decided to chuck it down with rain, I thought what greater time to take a few photos to document what I was testing. Here's a brief insight into the comparitive tests we do!

If you take a look at the first photo, I had 7 GPS receivers in-car testing at once!

From left to right, top to bottom:-
  • Garmin Street Pilot III Deluxe
  • Navman iCN630
  • Socket Bluetooth GPS
  • Navman 3000
  • Garmin GPSMap76S
  • Leadtek 9531
  • Leadtek 9531
Now strangely enough I can cope with two similar voice navigation systems talking to me in-car at once, and I can just about add a third, but when you add a fourth it starts to get really confusing!
MartinT
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: GPS Testing - What we do for you! Reply with quote

And you don't crash !

Let me know when your on the road and I'll stay in
Parky
Regular Visitor

But Dave, did you find where you were going ?
sparks
Occasional Visitor

Dave,

When can we expect your detailed review of the Navman ICN 630. I'm waiting on my purchase until I see

Thanks

Dave
Frequent Visitor

Martin, I try not to, I'll let you know when I'm on the road!

Parky, the strange thing was that I received different directions from each one, so I was a bit puzzled which one to take

Sparks, soon!
A1Dox
Occasional Visitor

Dave, how long do you have to allow for "starting" the car ?

I jumped into the car tonight, about five minutes later than planned and lamented the length of time to get the Emtac out of my bag and stick it on the dash, plug the mobile into the car-kit, stick the iPAQ into the RAM mount and plug the power in.

Further lamenting followed when there wasn't enough memory to restart the BT drivers and the iPAQ needed jabbing up the reset hole... and before you know it, I'm ten minutes late leaving.

You either have a large, secure metal shell around the car (like Michael Keaton's batmobile) or a large rucksack to take all the kit when you're not moving

Dox

Dave
Frequent Visitor

This isn't timed, but usually around 3 mins. I switch on the ignition to accessory position, get out the Socket BT, power on my iPAQ, check BT Manager is on, run up GPS Assist, get second Pocket PC out, start GPSAssist and then start driving.

TomTom will then get a fix within about another couple of minutes once it's fully loaded and allow me to see my journey on the map.

The gear above took me about 8-10 minutes to setup. I always carry with me a RoadWired Pod which keeps two Pocket PC's and the Socket BT in, with all my selection of cables, but anything else I tend to have to carry in my hands.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: