Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT 5 Upgrade Problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT 5 Upgrade Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbegg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: TT 5 Upgrade Problems Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I am having problems upgrading - I get "No maps found" after I try to upgrade, despite following the steps correctly.

Can someone please have a look at their SD card after they have upgraded and please list in full what the contents are?

I am getting desperate having tried loads of thing s in the past two days (eg naming folders differently, swapping files in and out of folders). Help me please!!!!
dickdastarley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: updated files Reply with quote

there are 5 main folders.

PALM
Launcher, and a Palm Application file - start,
in Launcher is a Palm Application file - cn

itn
temporary iti

TomTom
data05.chk, data05.vif, data.chk, Munich, setup

Tomtom Great Britain Map
cline, cname, cnode, faces, Great Britain, Great Britain.pna, mapinfo, poi, setup, tmccodes, traffic and a INC file named traffic

TomTom Great Britainpostal Map
Great Britain.postal, setup

allthough am not able to get Post code lookup it's just the tomtom default 3 or 4 number and street name info.
jbegg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dickdasterdly,

Thank you for the info. I will check out my card when I get to work this morning

Much appreciated.
dickdastarley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

change the TomTom Great Britain PostalMap name to zip

that gets the 7 digit postcode lookup working.
jbegg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: updated files Reply with quote

dickdastarley wrote:
there are 5 main folders.

PALM
Launcher, and a Palm Application file - start,
in Launcher is a Palm Application file - cn

itn
temporary iti

TomTom
data05.chk, data05.vif, data.chk, Munich, setup

Tomtom Great Britain Map
cline, cname, cnode, faces, Great Britain, Great Britain.pna, mapinfo, poi, setup, tmccodes, traffic and a INC file named traffic

TomTom Great Britainpostal Map
Great Britain.postal, setup

allthough am not able to get Post code lookup it's just the tomtom default 3 or 4 number and street name info.

Dickdasterdly,

I have had a talk with an expert from TomTom today he told me to upgrade my Plm Desktop from 4.1.0 to the latest which is 4.1.4.

After upgrading the Palm Desktop and re-installing, I inserted my SD Card and managed to get to a few setup screens before getting the "No maps found" message (before, all I got was the "No maps found" message). I'm getting closer!!

Looking at your list I have no file called "cn" in the "Launcher" folder in the "palm" folder or an "itn" folder (this is probably created when you create an itinerary). Your map folder is called TomTom Great_Britain-Map mine is just called Great_Britain-Map. So there is not a lot of difference but what there is could be vital. When I install the maps the Postal Codes get installed automatically into a folder called "zip", I did not create it. You have already changed your folder to "zip" and solved your postcode problem.

Thank you for your help. I am stumped as to what I can do now. I will speak to TomTom again tomorrow to see if they can sort this out for me.
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renaming the 'TomTom Great Britainpostal Map' folder to 'Zip' has enabled postcode lookup as suggested. Brilliant!
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Treo 650 loses activation code when it resets (Tom Tom v5) Reply with quote

My problems with Tom Tom v5.

My Treo 650 when it crashes & resets loses its activation code - big big pain.
When I receive an incomming call Tom Tom exits.(this is a known bug - Tom Tom asures me that they are working on a patch)
When I start Tom Tom it re-calculates the previous route.

Good points.
Postcodes - now working
screen better to see on the Treo 650 - numbers for eta, distance etc bigger.
when I restart Tom Tom after a phone call, it re-calculates the previously selected route.
All the extra bit & bobs that weren't there in V4.4.

No experience much yet of new map data. V4.4 liked trying to send me the wrong way down one way streets - probably added since data was collected.
v4.4 also liked to send me off the A21, through Farnborough village in kent,and then back on to the A21. - fastest route? I look forward to seeing what v 5 does!
jbegg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I got my upgrade working today at long last (got the upgrade last friday). After updating my Palm Desktop to version 4.1.4 (from version 4.1.0) I still could not get past the "No maps found" after using a card reader to install the maps. All I did was to hotsync the maps as well as the application (after advice from TomTom) and it worked.

Now I can join everyone else in looking at all the posts in the forums - without feeling I am an outcast not having been able to upgrade.
Mr-B
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Upgrade failed too Reply with quote

I'm having the similar problem to the OP although I already had Palm Desktop at v4.1.4. I installed the app and UK map onto my SD card off the CD. After a Hotsync it all seems to have transferred OK, but after running the app and answering a few basic preferences questions, it just says "No maps found!" :x

It's not very clear from the previous posts what the actual corrective action was. For example how does one "install the maps using a card reader"? Just copy some folder off the maps CDs directly?

Can anyone help?
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr-B

Can you see Tom Tom Great_Britain on the SD card?
jbegg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade failed too Reply with quote

Mr-B wrote:
I'm having the similar problem to the OP although I already had Palm Desktop at v4.1.4. I installed the app and UK map onto my SD card off the CD. After a Hotsync it all seems to have transferred OK, but after running the app and answering a few basic preferences questions, it just says "No maps found!" :x

It's not very clear from the previous posts what the actual corrective action was. For example how does one "install the maps using a card reader"? Just copy some folder off the maps CDs directly?

Can anyone help?

Hi Mr-B,

I had almost the identical problem to yours and was able to solve it by hotsyncing both the application and the maps. I originally installed the application by hotsync and used a Card Reader to install the maps and got to the basic preferences choices before I got "No maps found!" as well. Call TomTom UK Support on 0845-1610009 (Mon-fri 09:00 till 16:00 hrs) and ask to speak to "Hamado, he is the only Palm Expert there and he was able to help me.

Hope this helps you sort it out.
Mr-B
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tx for the replies, but I have to ask again how did you install the maps using the Card Reader??
I have already Hotsynced them.

On my SD Card I can see :

24/07/2004 15:10 <DIR> PALM
21/06/2005 12:39 <DIR> TomTom Great_Britainpostal Map
21/06/2005 15:20 <DIR> TomTom

Directory of H:\TomTom Great_Britainpostal Map

21/06/2005 12:39 <DIR> .
21/06/2005 12:39 <DIR> ..
21/06/2005 16:25 306 setup.dat
21/06/2005 17:08 8,828,972 Great_Britain.Postal

Directory of H:\TomTom

21/06/2005 15:20 <DIR> .
21/06/2005 15:20 <DIR> ..
21/06/2005 15:24 251 setup.dat
21/06/2005 15:20 34 data05.vif
21/06/2005 15:23 675,683 data05.chk
21/06/2005 15:29 1,100,689 data.chk
21/06/2005 15:40 2,013,644 Munich.bin

Any clues? I installed the Great Britain Plus map.
Tx for the support # - I couldn't find that anywhere on the website.
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be another folder called Tom Tom Great_Britain Map.

You have not got the map installed!

Try using the GB map rather than the plus map to see if you can get it to work.

Just go through the installation of the maps & choose the GB map & hotsync it on.

The TT GB postal code folder once you have it running will need to be renamed 'zip' to get postcode lookup to work.

I might be wrong, but people who have tried installing the plus maps don't seem to be finding their non - installed maps!

It's worth a go anyway.
Mr-B
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got the Great Britain & Postcode maps installed by using a Card Reader and the Advanced install option to write the map files directly to the SD card virtual drive. It wrote the 'zip' folder first time so I didn't need to rename anything to get the postcodes to work. However Hotsync did seem to name that folder incorrectly.
I've no idea why Hotsync wouldn't work for the main map though - it certainly seemed to spend enough time syncing!

Tx to all for the help! TT really need to sort some proper installation docs out on all this.

Now my next question is where the Major Roads of Europe map is.
Anyone know? It's not listed as a map choice on the install CD.
dickdastarley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the major roads of europe are on the plus maps.

every plus map comes with the major roads of europe, not only that the main map is full street level map. so on GB maps Great Britain is full street level map + major roads of europe.
France is full street level map and great britain is in with the major roads of europe.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: