Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help for Newbie
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help for Newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BRGTiger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Help for Newbie Reply with quote

Hi
Recently bought a Quest, and have been using it in the car with some success. Having bought a ram mount, I thought I'd try it out on my Triumph Tiger on a trip to Wales.

I had 2 problems with the Quest; firstly when trying to check the trip information by pressing the page button, the unit shut down and restarted about three times. It hasn't repeated this problem since and it may have been a one-off gremlin, but as you can imagine I am a little concerned. It may be worth mentioning that it was during a particularly heavy downpour, but as the Quest is supposed to be waterproof, this shouldn't have been a contributing factor.

The second issue concerns the point to point routes offered by the Quest in Wales. Using it in the car I have had no problems and the Quest has always taken me on 'sensible' roads. However, on the motorcycle trip the Quest took me along roads which were little more than dirt tracks, and whilst my Tiger was fairly unfazed, my friend on his Pan European was less than impressed.

I have the route preferences set as follows:-

Faster Time
Best Route
Car/Motorcycle

Cheers
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Help for Newbie Reply with quote

Welcome

The only time I have had my Quest restart was when I had moved a long distance from the place that it last had a sat fix, it started to aquire then shutdown. I restarted it and it locked on normally. My old GPS-V used to do the same thing.

There is an option to "Avoid unpaved roads" which I suggest you switch on if you haven't already. Did you have tracklog switched on? You can upload the tracks into Mapsource and see where you were and try to work out why you went down the minor roads.

Selecting Faster Time as you have done will usually avoids minor roads, I don't know why you got routed though some odd ones.

Using "shortest" will give interesting routes, I got routed down some pretty narrow lanes in Cornwall and even had to ford a river at one stage. 8O

With your mate following on the Pan, perhaps you should select "Truck". Wink
BRGTiger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply Skippy. I've de-selected unpaved roads at your suggestion, so hopefully that will do the trick (or I could talk my mate into getting a decent bike, so i don't have to worry when leading Laughing Out Loud).

I'll let you know how I get on with the Quest on my next biking adventure down to Austria this summer.

Cheers again
elsinga
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also important to use the latest firmware, 3.40 as of writing.

And you might be interrested in the Quest FAQ & HowTo pages, link below. ;)

GPS V FAQ Quest FAQ
Home @ N 52"55.812', E 05"51.509'
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elsinga wrote:
It's also important to use the latest firmware, 3.40 as of writing.

And you might be interrested in the Quest FAQ & HowTo pages, link below. ;)

I can definately recommend Mr Elsinga's website - this man is a GPS-V and Quest Guru. I found his website to be a mine of useful information when I first got my GPS-V a few years ago. :D

Welcome to the forums, Robert. It's good to see you over this part of the web. 8)
BRGTiger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some useful info on your site Robert, thanks for the link.
elsinga
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had trouble signing up with my own e-mail address... I never got the confirmation mail. After using one of my GMail account, it worked. ;)

GPS V FAQ Quest FAQ
Home @ N 52"55.812', E 05"51.509'

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: