Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No AC Adapter with GO 300
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No AC Adapter with GO 300
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pete284
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: No AC Adapter with GO 300 Reply with quote

Just received my Tom tom Go 300 from Maplins.

My biggest disappointment is that no AC Adapter is included as standard. They've included a cigarette lighter adapter which is okay whilst you are on the move but there is no way top charge the battery at home!

On checking the accessories list they want £19.99 for the adapter. However Maplin and Argos do a multi-purpose adaptor for £7.99 which outputs at the required 5v.
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: No AC Adapter with GO 300 Reply with quote

pete284 wrote:

My biggest disappointment is that no AC Adapter is included as standard. They've included a cigarette lighter adapter which is okay whilst you are on the move but there is no way top charge the battery at home!

On checking the accessories list they want £19.99 for the adapter. However Maplin and Argos do a multi-purpose adaptor for £7.99 which outputs at the required 5v.

From what I have read it needs to be 2 amp - Argos do one for £15 - scan down the posts, the subject has been mentioned a few times.

However so far I have not found any problem not having a mains charger
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: No AC Adapter with GO 300 Reply with quote

pete284 wrote:

From what I have read it needs to be 2 amp - Argos do one for £15 - scan down the posts, the subject has been mentioned a few times.

However so far I have not found any problem not having a mains charger
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now either the edit button is hidden or no editing posts - so sorry about the double post - hit refresh on timeout error :s
mark-yorkshire
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: no AC adaptor Reply with quote

I bought the Argos adaptor which is working fine. Just make sure you set at 5v.
Mark-Yorkshire
michaelh85
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: No AC Adapter with GO 300 Reply with quote

pete284 wrote:
However Maplin and Argos do a multi-purpose adaptor for £7.99 which outputs at the required 5v.

But they won't do the 2amps current that the TTG requires
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS looks like a much better and cheaper solution from Maplin. I think I've seen posts from TTG 300 owners who use these.
clandyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zuke wrote:
THIS looks like a much better and cheaper solution from Maplin. I think I've seen posts from TTG 300 owners who use these.

Only 1 Amp on output side according to the Maplins write up.

TTG needs 2 Amp according to the sticker on the 'in car' charger - I'd be very careful.

ATB

Andy
jmk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clandyuk wrote:

Only 1 Amp on output side according to the Maplins write up.

TTG needs 2 Amp according to the sticker on the 'in car' charger - I'd be very careful.

Andy

2 Amps at 12 volts (13.8v when the engine is running) seems a lot of current for the TTG to need.
I don't have a TTG (yet) and was wondering if anybody has had a ammeter on the supply with a TTG connected and a flat TTG battery?
John.
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Maplin 230Vac/12Vdc adaptor can supply an output of 12 volts up to 1A current = 12 watts of power into the TTG Car charger, which delivers 5 volts at up to 2A = 10 watts of power. Not surprisingly, it's a close match, since it's described as Ideal for mobile phones, GPS units and all other equipment powered from the car cigar lighter socket.
clandyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zuke wrote:
The Maplin 230Vac/12Vdc......

I was forgetting the TTG expects 5V Embarassed

From my point of view, it is better to leave the car charger in the car along with the Mobile phone one, otherwise I'm guaranteed to forget one or other when I go 'navigating' Rolling Eyes

ATB

Andy
mark-yorkshire
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Argos charger is fine as it is 2.5A . If the charger were less than 2.0A then damage would be caused. The adaptor should be set at 5V.
Mark-Yorkshire
jimbokb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: TTG 300 Charging Unit Reply with quote

This is what I use to charge/use TTG 300 indoors, for under £12 Delivered you cant go wrong. (Im sure I posted this link somewhere else)

Click the link below.

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/viewprod.php?flt=application&category_id=69&pp_id=2474&vt=list&hp=PDA%27s%2Ccategory_id%3D69&product_id=1577&PHPSESSID=8efcc7266cd07b3bf48a0809bf00321a[/color][/color]
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zuke wrote:
The Maplin 230Vac/12Vdc adaptor can supply an output of 12 volts up to 1A current = 12 watts of power into the TTG Car charger, which delivers 5 volts at up to 2A = 10 watts of power. Not surprisingly, it's a close match, since it's described as Ideal for mobile phones, GPS units and all other equipment powered from the car cigar lighter socket.

It's not just a question of watts, it's the current that has to pass through the components.

When there is a voltage drop from 12V to 5V there is indeed 10W available for TTG but there is also 7V, or more, of 2A= 14W minimum being dissipated in the Drop Down components. That minimum would give a total of 24W!

The TTG could well operate at less than 2A but at least this would give a safety factor. It would probably only use that amount of current if the battery was flat and the unit working.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:

...The TTG could well operate at less than 2A but at least this would give a safety factor. It would probably only use that amount of current if the battery was flat and the unit working.

Idea Right, just had to test this. My results were:

Supply voltage: 13.6 V
TTG charger output voltage: 5.18V
TTG off and charging - 125 mA
TTG on and working - 270 mA on power up dropping to 250 mA in a few seconds.

I need to do this again sometime with a flat battery.

Can anyone else confirm these numbers Question

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: