Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Looks like RDS TMC is moving to fee model!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Looks like RDS TMC is moving to fee model!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Looks like RDS TMC is moving to fee model! Reply with quote

Alturion still does not have RDS TMC, and now Navigon have removed it from the new MN5 update.

Co Pilot is suppose to offer traffic via GPRS but it is still not working. According to the Co Pilot thread

"ALK would like to offer this as a one time fee however iTiS are requesting an annual fee from all companies using TMC data. This is something that has hit Navigon recently"

Hence it appears that ITIS is the reason why TMC is no longer supported.

Does anyone know how this will affect the factory fit systems with TMC.

I would guess that they way forward is to release maps every 12 months, and add the cost of the license to the maps?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Looks like RDS TMC is moving to fee model! Reply with quote

Petekk wrote:
Does anyone know how this will affect the factory fit systems with TMC.
iTIS have always charged for a license for the data, and many of the manufacturers and mapping data providers have paid up to license. However, with the launch of the Trafficmaster RDS-TMC service it might allow vendors like Navigon and ALK to sign up with TM instead of iTIS.
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
TIS have always charged for a license for the data, and many of the manufacturers and mapping data providers have paid up to license. However, with the launch of the Trafficmaster RDS-TMC service it might allow vendors like Navigon and ALK to sign up with TM instead of iTIS.

You are quite correct, I should have said "annual fee model" rather than "fee model"

Hopefully the cost of the data will be reasonable (i.e would need to be no more than say, tomtom costs), and as you say we might get a TM based option which would then encourage both (i.e TM and iTIS to improve their game with regards to quality of information)

It could be argued however than the provision of this traffic info should be a Highways Agency function, as more and more people use SatNav with TMC the ability to broadcast a message and allow people to reroute benefits traffic management, and optimises the use of the network.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petekk wrote:
You are quite correct, I should have said "annual fee model" rather than "fee model"
I think they've already moved to it - companies like VDO Dayton have increased the cost of their TMC enabled data CDs to cover this charge.

I think the main reason these vendors have dropped TMC is the cost of this license...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: