Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom car kit :: Suitable wired antenna
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom car kit :: Suitable wired antenna

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
selwonk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: TomTom car kit :: Suitable wired antenna Reply with quote

Hi

Really sorry if this question has been asked and answered before. I searched but did not find the answer I was looking for...

I currently run TomTom Navigator 3 on an iPAQ 1940 with the Fortuna Clip-On BT GPS receiver. The iPAQ is powered via an official TomTom car kit

I want to switch to a wired antenna in my new car. It looks as though the TomTom car kit accepts an RJ-11 connection. Does anybody know which wired receivers are compatible. Having trawled the net, I can't even find a supplier that supplies an official TomTom receiver that explicitly says that an RJ-11 connection is provided!

Your advice would be much appreciated!

Mike Knowles
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Leadtek GPS Mice are what TomTom re-badge and they can be bought with the correct RJ11 connector. There are others that can also be had with that connector but Leadtek are an excellent GPS and I'd reccomend them.

Here is an example. They can to my knowledge only be bought with the additional cable/power lead for PDA's but this can be dispensed with and the antenna plugged straight into the carkit.

Last edited by Darren on Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
selwonk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Funnily enough, this was the only one that I could find which seemed to look like it would do the job. One thing I can't seem to work out is if this is powered via the RJ-11 socket? Do you know if this is the case?

Thanks again
selwonk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! Looks like you edit just answered the last question...
selwonk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the help. I found a nice cheap Leadtek on eBay. My auto-electrician has just plugged it into the powered cradle and all I need to do now is input the correct settings in TomTom. Does anybody know off the top of their head which settings should work? Do I use "TomTom Wired GPS"?

The indicator lamps seems to be showing that it was working. It was flashing green and then when I drove into our covered parking, it went red to (presumably) indicate that it had lost the satellite feed

If anybody knows the settings to use, it would be much appreciated...
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

selwonk wrote:
Does anybody know off the top of their head which settings should work? Do I use "TomTom Wired GPS"?

TomTom Wired should work fine.
selwonk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhm. I've tried TomTom Navigator GPS as the device, but I think I have a problem somewhere. The reason I've gone for the wired Leadtek GPS is because my Bluetooth solution had stopped working. I experienced a weird crash with my iPaq and had to flash the ROM. Since then Bluetooth still will not work. I've got the following ports available in the GPS settings:

COM3:
Bluetooth Serial Port COM8:
S2410 IRDA2410
S410 COM0
Serial on USB
Bluetooth Serial Port COM5:

Should I normally expect there to be more ports available? Is S2410 COM0 the port to connect to in this instance or should I be able to see COM1:?

Thanks again in advance
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should see COM1, have you got a clip-on keyboard or something else hogging COM1?
selwonk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
You should see COM1, have you got a clip-on keyboard or something else hogging COM1?
Nope - nothing else. I tried a hard reset and re-installed TomTom and I still get this limited list

I found another thread which suggests that I might be in a hiding in to nowhere:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4500&highlight=

I've just contacted TomTom support to see if the iPaq 1940, TomTom car kit and the Leadtek antenna are compatible. I'm beginning to wonder if the only antenna that will work is the official TomTom one?
Meester-Martinho
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

selwonk wrote:
Darren wrote:
Nope - nothing else. I tried a hard reset and re-installed TomTom and I still get this limited list

I found another thread which suggests that I might be in a hiding in to nowhere:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4500&highlight=

I've just contacted TomTom support to see if the iPaq 1940, TomTom car kit and the Leadtek antenna are compatible. I'm beginning to wonder if the only antenna that will work is the official TomTom one?

A 1940 will not work with a wired receiver since the serial port is locked
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I'm ashamed to admit that I completely overlooked the fact that the h1940 does not support the COM1 serial port Embarassed

It does make one wonder why TomTom include the external GPS connector option on the h1940 car-kit though?
selwonk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - I agree. I _presumed_ that it supported wired GPS because you could get a car kit with an RJ11 output on it. Then again, they say that presumption is the mother of all cockups!

Bit disappointed really. I only twigged to this AFTER the kit was installed in my new car. Now I need to get the wired antenna taken out again, install power for a new Bluetooth receiver and get everything back up and running again Crying or Very sad
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a cable that connects to the RJ11 Port on the carkit and provides a power connector suitable for charging a BT GPS Unit such as TomTom's or Leadtek. I wonder if this is perhaps why the connector is present?
selwonk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
You can get a cable that connects to the RJ11 Port on the carkit and provides a power connector suitable for charging a BT GPS Unit such as TomTom's or Leadtek. I wonder if this is perhaps why the connector is present?
Yep - this is, unfortunately, it's sole function. I'll get my auto-electrician to hard wire it in so the RJ11 will become completely redundant! I need to buy something else to run from it now!
Meester-Martinho
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Yup, I'm ashamed to admit that I completely overlooked the fact that the h1940 does not support the COM1 serial port Embarassed

It does make one wonder why TomTom include the external GPS connector option on the h1940 car-kit though?

because their mental

think the back of the kit is generic for manufacturing its just the holder and power section they attach to it

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: