Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tom tom gps problem?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tom tom gps problem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingsvball
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: I had the same problem Reply with quote

Hi
I have had the same problem with my hp ipaq 1940 i plug in the gps receiver in to my car kit and i cannot get any communication between the ipaq and the receiver. i dont have the option to select com1 i have com0 and com3. i dont think you have a faulty receiver if we both have the same problem.
Hope you ix the prob!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say you are getting no communication, can we just go over the basics? (apologies if you have done this already but it's easier to start from the beginning!):

1. Within the GPS Driver Applet, choose the 'GPS' tab.
2. Select the correct GPS Model and Com Port and tick box to left.
3. Switch to 'Status' tab.

Assuming the correct details have been entered in Steps 1 & 2 then you should see a line of black dots moving from left to right between the GPS and PDA Icon. This indicates correct configuration and communication between the devices. If you do not see this then we need to confirm what settings you have entered?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not seeing any indication of communication (and assuming you do not have any other devices installed such as keyboards etc which can occupy the com ports) then it does sound like a hardware issue.
milky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also got an IPAQ 1940 using the wired Tom Tom GPS receiver. I've got this connected through the Tom tom car mount (for the 1940) but am getting no signal to the IPAQ. When choosing the connection method on the GPS screen, I have a choice (ignoring bluetooth, IR or USB) of COM3 or s2410 com0. COM 1 does not appear. The receiver is working as I can plug it into an IPAQ 3970 and immediately get a number of satellites.

I have all the latest sofware, gps 2.09 and navigator 2.24. In another thread someone metioned that the IPAQ 1940 is not supported by TOM TOM except with a bluetooth receiver. Are there any software work arounds?

The previous message mentions direct cables can be used. Which ones do I need?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm unclear if anyone else in this thread is talking specifically about the 1940 except kingsvball who only posted once and never again.

The iPAQ 1910 had no serial port - the sync port was 'turned over' to symbolise the lack of serial support (and this was officially documented on HP's iPAQ Developer's site - which unfortunately hasn't been updated for the 1940).

The 1940 certainly has better connectivity than the 1910 - it has both an SDIO capable SD slot, and Bluetooth - both of which were missing from the 1910. What I haven't got clear information on is whether the serial port was put back into the 1940.

On earlier iPAQs, COM3: tended to be to do with the IrDA port. The fact that there's no COM1: and that neither HP nor any third-parties list any keyboards (other than wireless ones) as compatible with the 1940 tends to hint that there's no serial port in the 1940 either. I just wish I could track down some definitive information.

You said you'd got a 3970 there. If you're connecting the GPS to the 3970 using a cable, does that cable fit in the sync port of the 1940 the same way up, or do you have to twist it through 180 degrees to insert it into the 1940 (so that the side that faces the 3970's screen faces the back of the 1940)? If you have to twist the plug, I suspect your 1940 doesn't have a serial port, which is a hardware thing for which there's no software work-round.

The 19xx series is HP's low cost iPAQ series - for example, they have slower processors than more expensive models. They're fine for many users - but you do get what you pay for.

The TomTom Navigator 2 with wired GPS pack is not shown as compatible with the 1940 on the TomTom web site - but the Bluetooth GPS is listed as compatible. Everything is hinting very strongly that the 1940 lacks a serial port.

The fact that the setup works with a 3970 indicates that the wired GPS is working, and it's not a cabling issue, unlike the original poster in this thread, who had a faulty TomTom car kit cradle.

David
selwonk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a very similar, if not identical, fault. I've got the official TomTom powered cradle with an RJ11 socket connected to a wired Leadtek 9352. The Leadtek is getting a signal but I can't connect to it

It's working to read some of the posts above that suggest that these is no serial port available. As this is the official TomTom cradle for the 1940, it must (presumably) be able to connect to a suitable RJ11-connected GPS. If it's not through the serial port, should I be using "Serial on USB" in the list?

Thanks in advance
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the connector for the gps would be used on your cradle to charge the bluetooth gps as david as said the 1940 will not work with a wired solution

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
selwonk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
the connector for the gps would be used on your cradle to charge the bluetooth gps as david as said the 1940 will not work with a wired solution
Is that a definite no-no? The 1940 will definately not work with a wired antenna?
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Before you abandon the wired option for the 1940. I recall that similar things were said about the 1930 but I do recall getting one to work last year as follows:

You will need to find a suitable connector to connect a serial mouse to your 1940 of course and you may have to search hard for this. Then select the serial to USB option in your GPS properties port settings - you can check to see if this option is available first before you spend any cash.

The 1930 uses the USB port as a kind of pseudo serial port and your 1940 may do the same - some further research will be necessary.

I don't know the definitive answer to this but some research may pay off as the 1930/1940 is certainly capable of running TT3 satisfactorily.

Of course, you could always just go for a BT receiver!

Steve
Nissan Connect
Manuel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Ipaq 1940 myself and spend some time trying to get the wired GPS setup working without success. I don't want to put you off looking into this regardless but personally for me it was easier and less painful to switch to a bluetooth GPS receiver.

Manuel

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: