Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT5 Road Speed Profiling
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT5 Road Speed Profiling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dunkelmann
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: TT5 Road Speed Profiling Reply with quote

I've just sent the following request to TomTom. Perhaps I can encourage more of you to do something similar? They may even listen.

Quote:
I'm told you have removed the ability to set road speeds for each type of road. I think this is a mistake because we are individuals and do not all have the same speed profile. For example, on holiday, I may wish to "dawdle" at 40mph on a main road whereas at work I may choose to sit at the speed limit. Other examples are: I may be towing a caravan, I may be a heavy goods (truck) driver, I may have my mother-in-law in the back seat. Unfortunately, some routing suppliers are behaving like "nanny-knows-best" and this limits the usefulness of the product.

Please allow us to change the speeds. Better still please allow us to set up and save several speed profiles, for example "Summer Holiday", "Lorry", "To The Max", "No Speeding" etc.

Confused
Dunkelmann
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is their reply:
Quote:
The present version of the TomTom software is designed for automotive use only and is not designed with caravan towing in mind nor lorrys. This would require additional DIGITAL map information in the maps be provided to us by our DIGITAL map provider Tele Atlas and this data is currently not available on the maps we have purchased. That would also require a major software rewrite.

Navigator version 5 is due to release some time during the month of June and the new functionalities included are the ones our customers have requested the most.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.

I see their point but it still doesn't take care of wanting to drive in a car using a different profile.
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's a load of BS then! I guess they didn't really take the trouble to understand your message in the first place.

I use my TT3 with it's Teleatlas maps in my saloon car and also for touring Europe in my motorhome. I guess a lot of HGV drivers use it too. For each of these uses you can set different speed profiles - simple. What are they talking about??
What additional digital information was in the TT3 maps that they can't use now? (read BS) The nature of their reply seems to be completely irrelevant to the issue.

How can TT possibly respond to their customers requirements when they don't listen properly in the first place.

(Of course, your reply may not have come from the most knowledgable person in the office.)

Steve
Nissan Connect
Googlebot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so who's going to email them saying they are going on holiday and will be towing a caravan around the UK. Which of thier products would they recomend...
Holux CR-100

Soon to be replaced with TT720 (maybe....)
Jigsaw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told:
"You have an option to choose mode of travel, where you have an option called "reduced speed", here you will be able to choose the speed you plan on keeping.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction. "

Gordon
RichXDA2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the point that TT are trying to make is this:

a) To provide a caravan or HGV profile, additional map info is required because these vehicles cannot always access the same roads as cars (eg weight limits, restricted widths, tight corners etc.) You can imagine the complaints they would get if a HGV or caravan was routed down one of these roads, only to find it is inaccessible.

b) They clearly imply that the features in TT5 are those requested most by users. Obviously nobody until now has been that bothered about speed profiles.

Having said that, if people want speed profiles they should bombard TT with this request as Dunkelmann suggests. It may be a bit late but TT might listen and add the feature to a future version.

I think no matter what TT say or do, some people are always going to find fault. The old saying "You can please some of the people some of the time, but not all the people all the time" comes to mind.
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry but I think you are missing the point in the same way that TT did in response to the original request in this post.

Nobody should reasonably suggest that separate profiles for different types of vehicle be programmed in - for a start all individual drivers would drive these vehicles differently within those profiles anyway. The TT reply has focussed on that aspect though and ignored the main thrust of the original message. It certainly has nothing to do with people taking vehicles down inappropriate roads.

As I read it, what was included in TT3 but is apparently not in TT5 is the ability to change the speed for different types of roads within the properties. That way, each driver can set his/her own profile dependant upon the type of vehicle or style of driving. I cannot see how the digital information contained in the map data has anything to do with that - it is simply a feature contained within the software to calculate journey time etc.

The original poster has in fact simply focussed upon a missing feature that I seem to recall was also commented upon adversely in the PGPSW review. I have no doubt that a great many users will consider this omission to be a mistake, I certainly do as I like to set my profile dependant upon whether I am driving my car or my motorhome. If this is not a useful feature, then why was it included in earlier versions of TT?

The TT reply stated that the product is for automotive (read car) use and that they listen to their customers. Well they certainly don't appear to have taken any regard of their many HGV driver/motorhome/caravan tower/ users. Nobody should underestimate the numbers involved with these groups Europe wide. In any case, there are 'fast' car drivers and 'slow' car drivers, all of whom will need maps to get around and would like to change the speed profiles. Also - what about motor cyclists who must surely expect to make quicker average times over certain roads?

As for bombarding TT with requests, the point is emphasised that there is little point in doing that if they make little or no attempt to understand what is really being said by the customer. There have been so many comments upon this issue within these forums that they can not possibly have ever considered what the customers want, I think. Does any forum member recall ever having been asked I wonder?

This issue doesn't really matter one iota really because in the end the customer will make their choice in the the product that they buy and there are plenty of other good ones around now. However, I do think it is galling when customers are patronised in the casual way that Dunkelmann was at the top of this post.

Steve
Nissan Connect

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: