Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Car Lead
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Car Lead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
northamsaint
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Car Lead Reply with quote

I have been trying to find someone who sells just the car power lead that plus into the TomTom car cradle.

The soldering in my one has decided to part company, the wire with the spring that connects to the fuse, and to the centre connection of the plug.

I have soldered it myself but want a spare incase it happens again when I am out and about and need TomTom to be working. So does anyone know where I can get one?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't that a standard 5V 2A cigarette lighter adapter for the iPAQ series? ebay should have truckloads of those

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
northamsaint
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's the one, I have tried Ebay but can't find any. It was the first place I tried.
northamsaint
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found some. I tgried just searching tomtom in the end and then looked page after page.
Crocodile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic seems to be the subject of much confusion.

My understanding is that if you have a dedicated Tom Tom car KIT (ie specific to your PDA model) with a 2.1mm jack on the left & an RJ11 mouse connection on the right, the voltage supplied to the cradle should be 12V. The cradle contains a voltage regulator that will reduce the input voltage to the 5V required to charge the PDA & power the GPS mouse.

If you have a generic Tom Tom or other PDA HOLDER that requires a cable to be plugged directly into the base of the PDA, the voltage supplied should be 5V & there will be a regulator within the accessory socket plug.

I have read numerous posts where 12V cables have been plugged directly into PDAs with the predictable consequences. My advice is NEVER to plug a cable directly into a PDA unless it has been supplied by a reputable retailer and/or you have measured the voltage first. I would imagine that trying to pursue an ebay seller for the cost of a replacement PDA because they supplied the wrong cable would be futile.

This is yet another example of appalling customer service by Tom Tom as they are unwilling to supply the replacement cables themselves, as I found when mine fell apart. They have them in stock for warranty exchange (you have to send your cable back first) but will not sell you a spare.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your cradle is of the type where the power lead plugs in the left and the GPS plugs in the right (like mine) then a standard cig lighter to jack plug lead will do the job nicely. You can get various ones from www.cpc.co.uk
northamsaint
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark

Many thanks for that. I'm going to order one, and also get a better cig plug for the other lead.

How they expect soldering a wire to the straight end of a spring to last beats me.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: