Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Complete nooby here!!! Route question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Complete nooby here!!! Route question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coinshooter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Complete nooby here!!! Route question Reply with quote

Hello! I am planning to buy either a Garmin 2610 or a Magellan 500. Any advice on which one would be appreciated but my question is:
If I want to go someplace and I tell the GPS where I want to go I'm presuming the GPS picks out the best route. Well my question is suppose I don't want to take that route. Can I program my own route or if I take my own route does the GPS eventually adapt and start following my route. I had an old black and white screen model I forget the make that I could sit in my house and pre program the route into. Do the new ones allow this. In other words I want to be able to get to my destination on the roads that I choose. I hope I made myself clear and any help would be appreciated
Thanks -Chuck
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about the Magellan range, but the Garmin Streetpilot 26xx range certainly allows you to programme your route using waypoints. The 2610 comes with a CF card for you to transfer maps of your choice, the 2620 has a CF format microdrive (2Gb?) with CityNavigator already loaded.
coinshooter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim. I think I'm going to go with the Garmin 2610. I read a review about the Magellan on gpsinformation.net and it says that the Magellan doesn't have the feature to layout your own route. I think it said that you can't create waypoints or something to that effect.
Thanks again,
Chuck
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Complete nooby here!!! Route question Reply with quote

coinshooter wrote:
suppose I don't want to take that route. Can I program my own route or if I take my own route does the GPS eventually adapt and start following my route.

Pretty much, yes. Here are a few options:

Plan your route in advance using the maps on your PC and upload it to the GPS

Let the GPS calculate the route and then add "via" points to get it to route the way you want it.

Ignore the route the GPS gives you and go the way you want to and the GPS will recalculate the route. If the alternative route you are taking is a fairly good one then the GPS will end up routing you along your preferred route. If it is too out of the way, then the GPS will keep telling you to get back onto the best route.

You also have an option to choose the Fastest or Shortest route and you can choose to avoid motorways if that is your preference.
TKPeters
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or add avoid roads onto the Garmin 2610 if it starts using routes that aren't suitable

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: