Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Orgin B2 solo - iPAQ with TomTom Navigator 5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Orgin B2 solo - iPAQ with TomTom Navigator 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Orgin B2 solo - iPAQ with TomTom Navigator 5 Reply with quote

hi All

My first post here, excellent forum with brilliant advice.....

I'm very new to this GPS Camera detection thing. What I wanted to know is whether it is overkill to purchase:

HP iPAQ HX4700
Bluetooth TomTom Navigator 5 (When it's released)
Origin B2 Solo

1. Am I missing anything but still remaining legal
2. I only want to buy the best thus the iPAQ being their top of the range
3. Is the Origin B2 the way to go, I also looked at Morpheus Road Pilot which looked nice!! not sure about the product itself

Comments would be much appreciated

Regards

JAG
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with any of that system but i would suggest you give our database a go before outlaying all that extra cash on the Origin.

Good as the Origin is there are many more options now for less money and so if you really do want a hardware speed camera database device I would consider some other options such as the Talex and Road Angel MKII.
LostAtSea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Darren - I have had Origin miss cameras that the PDA didn't.

And Origin still have't released the GPS output mount.

I am on the verge of taking a soldering iron to it and working it out for myself ...
Jag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So am I missing something here??? why would I want to connect the Speed camera detector to my PDA? is it to utilise the speaker on the PDA or use the GPS input from the detector so I don't require another to operate the TomTom software?? - Sorry to be so thick.

I did look at the alternative, speed camera detectors still confused as ever as to which one to get?? Plenty of police with Laser guns have turned up in an around B'ham so does anyone have any more comments?? I want a GPS detector, which will cater for all camera types and the ability to spot Laser guns if that makes sense. I might be asking too much but it would be nice if it was a small compact unit, I don't fancy leaving it in my glove box something that would fit into my pocket.

Comment would really be appreciated!

Regards

Jag
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point about connecting the Origin is to utilise its GPS receiver rather than have to buy another.

As for Laser, forget it, those detectors that have it are a waste of time, unless you are lucky enought to get some laser scatter that triggers the detector you will have been targetted and your speed captured long before it alerts you!

And the Road Safety Whitepaper is seeking to outlaw active detectors whcih for our purposes means radar and laser detectors so those that have it will become illegal if the whitepaper becomes law.
LostAtSea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, Darren is the voice of wisdom.

I have an Origin B2, a Bel 990 and TomTom on my PDA (with the TomTom wired GPS connected to it via an amplified cradle).

The B2 has never, ever, detected a real laser beam pointed at the car. The Bel has, but it has also detected the lights on the end of Luton Airport's runway, and decided I was being lasered when I was on a sliproad over the top of the M42 as well (with built up embankments either side and no sign of an police cars).

If you want to be protected from the police using laser guns, your only choice is to fit a LT400 or similar, a "laser diffuser" which will jam the police laser gun. However, the legality of these is somewhat shady. Technically they are "garage door openers", and provided you have the receiver kit fitted to your garage door the opinion I have seen given is that it is unlikely the CPS would have a leg to stand on. However, that won't stop them coming round and smashing up your car to prove you have the "illegal device" fitted.

You will also find that, despite some of the reviews and reports, the laser blinders are not perfect. At close range the police laser gun can often still obtain a reading, and of course there is nothing to stop the copper from pulling you over anyway and "finding" something wrong with your car.

So, all in all, your best bet is to forget the laser detector and just get a GPS device which will warn you of the common haunts. For that, it is definitely worth trying out the PocketGPS database first. The best dedicated devices (Origin B2, RoadPilot) have to essentially be wired into your car. Although the "Brain/Display" unit is detachable for security and updating, don't expect to be able to take the whole lot with you from car to car. £400 is a lot of money if you find that you don't use the device.

My comment regarding getting a GPS signal from the Origin is simply because I currently have to have two GPS receivers in the car, one for the PDA and one for the Origin. It looks like the bridge of the Starship Enterprise on the dashboard, and not in a good way.

Hope that helps!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostAtSea wrote:
If you want to be protected from the police using laser guns, your only choice is to fit a LT400 or similar, a "laser diffuser" which will jam the police laser gun. However, the legality of these is somewhat shady. Technically they are "garage door openers", and provided you have the receiver kit fitted to your garage door the opinion I have seen given is that it is unlikely the CPS would have a leg to stand on. However, that won't stop them coming round and smashing up your car to prove you have the "illegal device" fitted.

There have been a number of successful prosecutions against drivers with the LR100's fitted for perverting the course of justice.

It's SOP now to note the VRN's of vehicles whose speed cannot be read, if your VRN comes up more than once you'll get a visit and if they find an LR100 your in deep do do.

Last edited by Darren on Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
LostAtSea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again I must bow to Darren's superior knowledge!

Now, about getting this GPS output from the Origin ...
anglefire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi have an iCN630 with the speed camera database on it - and I have the Origin B2.

The major advantage of the B2 is the fact that it takes about 2 seconds to drop in the cradle - the iCN takes about 15seconds - and the iCN doesn't show direction (Unless its changed recently!) of the camera. And of course taking it apart again is alot quicker with the B2.

Just my 5penneth!

Website

The answer is 42. Now what is the question?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing a GO is also two second one-click procedure. And installing my XDAII into it's a cradle is a simple matter of dropping it in.

It is true that our database lacks direction warnings but this is a failing of the POI file format which cannot handle direction information as it was never designed for speed camera use originally.

The point here is that aside from direction functionality is it really justified to spend £400 plus subscription on a dedicated SCD? Is camera direction info worth the extra outlay?

I have an Origin b2, Snooper S4 and Talex and rarely install any of them any more relying on our database instead as I always have a GPS running be ir PocketPC, GO or Smartphone. I drive 30,000 miles a year and the commercial detectors have just as many errors and possibly more than ours.

If you think about it, we have 20,000+ field agents out there reporting new cameras, how many do you think the commercial outfits have! This gives us a huge advantage in capturing data.
anglefire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren,

I'm not knocking the database on here - far from it - but when I first got my satnav it didn't support POI's, I didn't like the idea of a PDA being used - mostly because at the time, they seemed a little more tempermental, so wanted a purpose built unit. Also at the time, there wasn't the choice! I think it was the Navman or the Garmin streetpilot III.

Having bought them both, I prefer it that way!

Personal choice and all that- If I did it all again from scratch, I'd probably do it differently!

Website

The answer is 42. Now what is the question?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: