Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - towing caravan
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

towing caravan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daztheman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: towing caravan Reply with quote

hello can anyone tell me why when i'm towing my caravan i put the route in my quest sett it for truck even tried bus but it takes me down very narrow lanes is there some other settings i need to know about. thanks Daz
DanGleebitz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Caravan lugging Reply with quote

I am afraid that you'll have to leave your box on wheels at home or sell it ... really it is much cheaper to book into a hotel and enjoy the delights of modern plumbing instead of using a bucket ..

The bus / truck settings refer to a speed profile rather than a car or bike. Width doesn't come into it!
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: towing caravan Reply with quote

daztheman wrote:
when i'm towing my caravan ... it takes me down very narrow lanes

I'm planning three weeks in Cornwall during the summer. If by chance you're heading the same way could you post your route on this forum in advance?
daztheman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan were do you find these cheap hotels £10-£15 a knight for 2 i bet if you could you would have to share it with the rats & i bet you would'nt even get a bucket. Daz
DanGleebitz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Cheap B&B Reply with quote

We often go away at weekends and enjoy the benefits of last minute deals. Try http://www.oldenglishinns.co.uk/late-availability.php

One hotel we stay at costs us £24 pppn and thats a 3* Town Centre Hotel B&B, En Suite, Saterlite TV etc etc

Failing that we find a small Guesthouses rarely exceed £25pppn

Whilst I realise this may seem more expensive, take off the storage charges for your Van, the extra fuel used, Insurance costs, depreciation etc etc and I wouldn't mind betting there isn't much variance in costs. Then you don't have to clean it out on return.

One of our neighbours had a van till some scrote nicked it. That summer they went back to B&B whislt the insurance wrangled over it. They enjoyed it and now refuse to go back to a muddy field and pee in a bucket again.
Steve54
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Speed Profiles Reply with quote

You mention that truck/bus is a different speed profile to car/motorbike. Have you any idea what the speed profiles are for different classes of roads, or how you might change the default speeds. As far as I can tell my Quest seems to expect me to be doing 75mph on a motorway - surely there is some way to amend this - i'd like to see anyone achieve even half this speed during rush hour!!!!! I have tried to find somewhere in settings to set default speeds, to no avail.
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed Profiles Reply with quote

Steve54 wrote:
...speed profile...I have tried to find somewhere in settings to set default speeds...

In Mapsource you need to go Edit, Preferences, Routing...and there it is Smile When you've made changes, download to your Quest in the usual way.
elsinga
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But be aware that the speeds you set in Mapsource have nothing to do with the speeds the Quest uses for it's own calculations.
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elsinga wrote:
But be aware that the speeds you set in Mapsource have nothing to do with the speeds the Quest uses for it's own calculations.

So what does changing the settings do then? 8O
elsinga
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It changes how *Mapsource* calculates a route. The Quest itself uses an adaptive model of your driving to calculate the route, so if you normally drive at very high speeds at the higway, but very slow inside towns, the Quest will know after a while and take that into account.

Setting the Quest for "truck" will also adjust routing, the Quest will try to avoid turns (i.e. make a route that has fewer turn but is possibly a bit longer).

When I drive around with my caravan, I (sometimes) set my Quest to "truck", to avoid winding country road that reduce overall speed.
elsinga
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also want to lok at the Quest FAQ & HowTo pages at my site: http://www.elsinga.net/questfaq ;)

GPS V FAQ Quest FAQ
Home @ N 52"55.812', E 05"51.509'
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daz I'm with Dan on this one. I made my mate sit down and do a costing and to be realistic and brutal about it turns out he was only getting 20 to the gallon towing van plus having to have a car with a bigger engine which he used for work etc so he sold the lot and got a smaller car which he can go at least twice as far if not more on a tank full and bought himself a motorbike and is about to buy a quest. He said to me that its great going out and about without the worry of towing and not being hated by every poor service engineer and delivery driver on the planet. An other thing which transpired is his wife pulled me aside and thanked me as she never looked forward to holidays as all she was doing was swoping one kitchen for an other inferior one. So sell the van and be loved
carik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz,im on your side,no one said caravaning was cheap and it is,nt.But you go where you like when you want,with all home conforts in a modern caravan.I tow at a constant 65mph so as to avoid lorries steaming up my rear(sounds painful)Iknow its illegal but it keeps traffic flowing and avoids frustration.The anoying lorries that want to overtake at62mph downhill and then slow down to52mph uphill course more frustration than a caravan at aconstant speed.I,m not that much of a sado as I use a yam R1 for fun.But I do think caravaners get a bit too much stick,so carry on Daz and avoid those smelly B and Bs. Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: