Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Word of warning - athletic sd-cards!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Word of warning - athletic sd-cards!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davidb67
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Word of warning - athletic sd-cards!! Reply with quote

I was extremely fortunate to recover my SD card from my iPaq 4700 this sunday, after said 4700 fell about 1 foot from the door sill in my car to the ground in a car-park in Annan - at the time i was more concerned about the damage that might have been sustained to the iPaq - impact AND water damage - it landed on wet-ish tarmac and there were loads of puddles, but the machine was fine. I hadn't realised it at the time but the sd card has sprung out - TTN3 kept going for another 30miles or so, but as I don't have a mount for the new ipaq yet and as such it was simply in my door pocket merely to alert me to cameras, I was unanaware the maps had gone awol until i came to soft-reset the ipaq due to what appeared to be a "freeze". Gutted I was, not really down to the cost, as it was only a 256mb card which can be had for about £18 now, but more the inconvenience, and that the card was going to be come a spare - see later.

As i we had to pass Annan again on the route home (some 4 hours and 200-odd miles after "the incident"), i was amazed when i pulled into the public carpark just off the main high street, and that my sd-card was still on the deck where it had landed. I was even more pleasantly surprised when I plugged it into a card read on the PC when i got home (didn't risk it in the iPaq for fear of shorting something on the 4700 as the card was covered in water droplets) and right away it showed up.

Same thing happened today in my office but fortunately the impact was cushioned by carpet, and it wasn't sodden wet!

and no, i'm not accident-prone! i am awaiting the arrival of a 1gb card however, and am concerned with the ease at which my 4700 seems to spit them out!!!

david
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ever thought of securing it with a piece of tape?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Davidb67
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the 4700 last week, and never had this problem with my 3970, so it caught me out. Think a flip-over case is my solution.
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
ever thought of securing it with a piece of tape?

You've been in Texas too long Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: